HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 6:41 PM

Renovation Underway At 500-15 East Tioga Street, Kensington/Harrowgate

In the past:

Current view:

Quote:
A recent site visit by Philadelphia YIMBY has discovered that renovation work is nearly complete at a three-story adaptive reuse development at 500-15 East Tioga Street (aka 500 East Tioga Street) in Kensington. The project consists of renovating a long-vacant industrial structure, situated on the block between East Ontario and East Tioga streets, into a 69,600-square-foot artist studio and artisan-industrial facility with 69 units, parking, and full sprinkling. Permits list Metropolitan Contracting as the contractor and a construction cost of $2.5 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/07/reno...ensington.html

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 6:42 PM

Construction Anticipated At 2043-51 North Front Street In East Kensington

Current site:

Quote:
A recent site visit by Philadelphia YIMBY has r3evealed that construction has not yet begun at a six-story, 35-unit residential building at 2043-51 North Front Street in Fishtown, though permits were issued last October. Designed by CANNOdesign, the building will rise six stories tall and will feature commercial space on the ground floor and 35 bicycle spaces. Tester Construction is listed as the contractor.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/07/cons...-fishtown.html

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 6:43 PM

Construction Nearly Complete At 2401 Frankford Avenue In Fishtown/East Kensington

Quote:
A recent site visit by Philadelphia YIMBY has revealed that construction is nearing completion at a four-story, 15-unit apartment building at 2401 Frankford Avenue in Fishtown. Designed by Ambit Architecture and developed by Philly Capital Group, the 14,560-square-foot building stands at the east side of the traffic circle at the intersection of Frankford Avenue, Trenton Avenue, and East York Street, which gains its distinctive “flatiron” shape from its acutely angled site. The development will feature ground-floor commercial space (primarily along Frankford Avenue), a basement, full sprinkling, balconies, and a green roof covering at least 60 percent of the rooftop. Permits list GRIT Construction as the contractor and a construction cost of $2.05 million.
Read/view more here:

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 6:44 PM

Completion Nears At 2400 Frankford Avenue In Fishtown

Quote:
A recent site visit by Philadelphia YIMBY has discovered that construction is nearing completion at a four-story mixed-use building at 2400 Frankford Avenue in Fishtown, Kensington. The structure is rising at the angled northern corner of the three-way intersection between Frankford Avenue, Trenton Avenue, and East York Street, where a traffic circle was recently constructed. Designed by CANNOdesign and developed by Khosla Properties, the structure will span 17,972 square feet and hold 2,459 square feet of retail space and 15 apartments. Features include full sprinkling, a green roof, and parking for five bicycles. Permits list Tester Construction Group as the contractor and a construction cost of $2.6 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/07/comp...-fishtown.html

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 6:46 PM

Construction Underway At 2500 North Mascher Street In West Kensington

Quote:
Last October, YIMBY shared that permits were issued for a four-story, 14-unit residential building at 2500 North Mascher Street in West Kensington. Philadelphia YIMBY’s recent site visit has revealed that, more than half a year later, construction is well underway on the project, which replaces a vacant lot at the northwest corner of North Mascher and West Cumberland streets. Designed by KCA Design Associates, the structure rises from a 2,867-square-foot footprint and spans 14,337 square feet, which averages to just over 1,000 square feet per apartment. The development will feature a cellar, full sprinkling, and roof decks, which promise sweeping skyline vistas due to the building’s prominence. Permits list LNHA New Homes as the contractor and a construction cost of $1.5 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/07/cons...ensington.html

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 6:47 PM

Construction Anticipated At 2204-14 East Allegheny Avenue In Port Richmond

Current site:

Project renderings:

Quote:
Last October, YIMBY shared a series of renderings for a multi-building, 189-unit development proposed at 2204-14 East Allegheny Avenue in Port Richmond, Kensington. Designed by VBC Studio, the complex will span 146,032 square feet and include a six-story apartment building, 70 townhouses, 17,710 square feet of retail, and 87 parking spaces. Although construction permits have not yet issued, a zoning permit issued in March, which calls for splitting the site into two parcels, indicates that activity is still ongoing on the project. Recently YIMBY visited the site to check out its pre-development condition.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/07/cons...ensington.html

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Construction Nearly Complete At 2401 Frankford Avenue In Fishtown/East Kensington

Read/view more here:
Any rumors on what commercial is going in here?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2022, 3:45 PM
Chris

^ The Frankford roundabout buildings are all great! And another Canno designed building is coming to 2400 Frankford Ave.

But I wish zoning was a bit more generous to allow for additional height and units.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
SEPTA is concerned that any other New Starts/Tiger project would threaten KOP's viability. So KOP is their main focus right now.

The Roosevelt Boulevard Spur would see an estimated 100k daily riders, whereas KOP will see roughly 9000 after 5 years. They would cost similar amounts of money to construct.
You could not extend the subway the length of the blvd for $2.3B. I think the last cost estimate for extension to the navy yard was over $600m and thats is very old. I think that was like a mile to mile and a half extension. Dont see how you could add 12 miles of tunnel and many stations for $2B.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
You could not extend the subway the length of the blvd for $2.3B. I think the last cost estimate for extension to the navy yard was over $600m and thats is very old. I think that was like a mile to mile and a half extension. Dont see how you could add 12 miles of tunnel and many stations for $2B.
Cheapest Navy Yard option is $900M for about 1.5 miles in 2018. The cost I was comparing is KOP at $3B (actual price) vs Roosevelt using the existing highway cut (at least partially, like the Dan Ryan). You're right, to bore a new line from scratch the full 12 miles of the spur would cost more than $3B (but would likely still be worth it considering it'd get approximately 10x the ridership that KOP will).

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Cheapest Navy Yard option is $900M for about 1.5 miles in 2018. The cost I was comparing is KOP at $3B (actual price) vs Roosevelt using the existing highway cut (at least partially, like the Dan Ryan). You're right, to bore a new line from scratch the full 12 miles of the spur would cost more than $3B (but would likely still be worth it considering it'd get approximately 10x the ridership that KOP will).
yeah talking about a mostly exposed grade level train traveling in the center section would be much cheaper than a subway- but it would still cost a fortune and take 10 years to build in this country. Most lengthy projects like that only happen in areas where regions are able to establish dedicated taxes to pay back bonds for mega transit projects- something we can't do here. If KOP is unlikely to happen (BTW, didn't know cost was revised to $3B officially) than a 12 mile BSL extension is even less likely to happen- they couldn't even get the Navy Yard extension off the ground. There is not enough support at the state and federal level for major transit extensions and new starts which is why local taxes and ballot initiatives are such a huge factor in the states where they are allowed.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Images like this continue to sway me towards the "bury all power lines" crowd.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 1:34 PM

Looks like another set of those ugly ass twin homes fronting both Ridge Avenue and Poplar Street is going to bite the dust soon:

Quote:
ZP-2022-005970
Jul 28, 2022
1709 POPLAR ST, Philadelphia, PA 19130-1519

FULL DEMOLITION OF EXISTING BUILDING FOR A NEW SIX STORY MULTIFAMILY DWELLING. EFFICIENCY UNIT AT BASEMENT, COMMERCIAL SPACE AT FIRST FLOOR, SINGLE RESIDENTIAL UNIT PER FLOOR AT SECOND THROUGH SIXTH FLOOR. SIX RESIDENTIAL UNITS IN TOTAL. ROOF DECK ACCESSED VIA PILOT HOUSE CONTAINING ELEVATOR AND TWO MEANS OF EGRESS. ROOF DECK FOR RESIDENTIAL USE ONLY. THREE NEW REAR PARKING SPOTS ACCESSED VIA REAR SHARED DRIVEWAY.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Industry Lofts to Bring 178 Hilltop Apartments to Roxborough

Current view of the site:

Site plans:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-to-roxborough
So glad to see this project finally start! Ivy Ridge is my station, and I'd love to be able to hop off the train and head straight over to whatever will anchor the retail space (PLEASE be a new brewery! Even a coffee shop near the station would be lovely).

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Looks like another set of those ugly ass twin homes fronting both Ridge Avenue and Poplar Street is going to bite the dust soon:
Huh. I always thought those places were PHA.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 2:36 PM

Quote:
[B][SIZE="4"]

This intersection is unrecognizable. Wow. The triangluar shaped building (Flatiron style) is interesting. The shape is super cool but the exterior could not be more boring! The black brick building on the other hand is really nice! The proposal on Umbria looks awesome as well. Lots of good stuff happening!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I don't have any knowledge on it, but it's possible they were part of the city (PHA?) rent-to-own project like those small houses on 19th-20th?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 2:54 PM

^^^Interesting. I don’t think it’s boring at all. It has a unique design pattern and it harkens back to a more historical aesthetic without being pastiche. I’m not sure what would have been a more compelling alternative here. Also, it’s designed by Ambit, who out of any firms in the city, really can do no wrong.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
I don't have any knowledge on it, but it's possible they were part of the city (PHA?) rent-to-own project like those small houses on 19th-20th?
Yeah, I remember hearing about that. Could be part of PHA’s Scattered Sites Homeownership Program, Section 5(h). Maybe the previous owners who bought from PHA sold out to a developer.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 3:02 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
This intersection is unrecognizable. Wow. The triangluar shaped building (Flatiron style) is interesting. The shape is super cool but the exterior could not be more boring! The black brick building on the other hand is really nice! The proposal on Umbria looks awesome as well. Lots of good stuff happening!
Beauty in the eye of the beholder I guess? I find the façade of the "flat iron" building to be quite interesting.

But yes, I remember driving through that dreary intersection for the first time 15 years ago, a complete transformation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
It is a "scattered site" location. These parcels occasionally sell for private development, a lot less red tape to sell. This project is a major upgrade and another missing link filled along Ridge Avenue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development