HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 2:07 AM

Something interesting I read in Surrey Langley SkyTrain Business Case Update – Ridership Report – Revision #2:
Quote:
2035 / 2050 SkyTrain Patterns:
Canada Line: Same pattern as today
Expo Line:
  • King George to Waterfront.
  • Arbutus to Waterfront (similar to previous Millennium Line alignment) during peaks.
  • Production Way to Waterfront during off-peaks.
Millennium Line: Lafarge Lake-Douglas to Arbutus (i.e. BSP is operational).
Interesting to see the Arbutus to Waterfront service!

Edit: should mention that this is the Business As Usual case, without the SLS project

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvetia View Post
Something interesting I read in Surrey Langley SkyTrain Business Case Update – Ridership Report – Revision #2:

Interesting to see the Arbutus to Waterfront service!

Edit: should mention that this is the Business As Usual case, without the SLS project
Yep, if I recall correctly the rational is that West Broadway is going to need way, way more service than Coquitlam and Surrey will need so instead of running unnecessary cars to Coquitlam you can double up the West Broadway service by moving half of the Expo Line traffic to the Broadway Extension.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Yep, if I recall correctly the rational is that West Broadway is going to need way, way more service than Coquitlam and Surrey will need so instead of running unnecessary cars to Coquitlam you can double up the West Broadway service by moving half of the Expo Line traffic to the Broadway Extension.
I love how this is possible given the interoperability of the Expo and Millennium lines

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 3:07 AM

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/ubc-...case?auto=true

tl;dr:

Quote:
Last week, Transportation Investment Corporation — the provincial crown corporation overseeing the management of major provincial transportation infrastructure projects — launched its procurement process for seeking a private contractor to complete highly detailed technical work that will be used to form the business case supporting the project.

This private contractor is expected to be selected by June 2023, and they will complete their work by December 2024, at which point the provincial government will use the provided information to create its own “Provincial Business Case” for extending the Millennium Line from its 2026 terminus of Arbutus Station to UBC.

In exchange for supporting the UBC SkyTrain, the Mayors’ Council made the stipulation that construction for this project will not begin until after implementation begins on the new regional Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) network and after planning begins on the long-term North Shore rapid transit project.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvetia View Post
Ahhh, the joys of building public transit with an NDP government.

Quote:
This private contractor is expected to be selected by June 2023, and they will complete their work by December 2024, at which point the provincial government will use the provided information to create its own “Provincial Business Case” for extending the Millennium Line from its 2026 terminus of Arbutus Station to UBC.
Business case complete in Dec 2024, we could see construction start not long after service to Arbutus opens. Timing is almost perfect for an election promise of construction. Completion in 2030 seems a possibility.

Quote:
In September 2022, the provincial government took over jurisdiction of the UBC SkyTrain extension project from TransLink and is now leading concept planning and the creation of the business case.
Is that correct? I don't remember that being announced and google (or this thread) shows nothing.

Last edited by madog222; Mar 21, 2023 at 5:00 AM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post

"In September 2022, the provincial government took over jurisdiction of the UBC SkyTrain extension project from TransLink and is now leading concept planning and the creation of the business case."

Is that correct? I don't remember that being announced and google (or this thread) shows nothing.
Why wouldn't it be correct? The same thing happened with the Arbutus extension in March 2018, when the first document to be published by the Province was the business case, after they had taken over from Translink in late 2017. I think it suggests it's a commited project, rather than a Translink 'ask'.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Why wouldn't it be correct? The same thing happened with the Arbutus extension in March 2018, when the first document to be published by the Province was the business case, after they had taken over from Translink in late 2017. I think it suggests it's a commited project, rather than a Translink 'ask'.
No it's not unexpected given SLS but has not been announced publicly AFAIK.

For the Broadway Subway Translink completed the business case submitting it to the province and feds.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 7:15 AM

Don't really see how it's a Dipper-exclusive thing; yeah, it sucks, but the Evergreen SkyTrain business case apparently took over a year, twice (not counting the Evergreen streetcar, which was pitched back in freaking '06).

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Ahhh, the joys of building public transit with an NDP government.
I'm pretty sure the first time I seriously heard about the Skytrain extension to UBC, Gordon Campbell was premier.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 11:20 PM

It might have even been during his first term in office, while we were speculating whether we as students would ever have the opportunity to use it.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
It might have even been during his first term in office, while we were speculating whether we as students would ever have the opportunity to use it.
I remember visiting UBC the summer before starting there, and they had a presentation in the old student union building on the UBC Skytrain extension "coming soon". I was joking by second year that it might be ready for my 2nd Ph. D.

Doesn't feel like a joke anymore.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
I remember visiting UBC the summer before starting there, and they had a presentation in the old student union building on the UBC Skytrain extension "coming soon". I was joking by second year that it might be ready for my 2nd Ph. D.

Doesn't feel like a joke anymore.
Well, SkyTrain extension to Coquitlam was first talked about back in 1988, and there is finally a plan for construction by maybe 1999. Final plan was made in 2008, and construction finally started in 2012 for 2016 opening.

That's sort of the time frame we're talking about here. When you see the first plan, probably there's still 17 more years before you can finally ride on it

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
Gordon Price was still on City Council when the idea was floated, so yeah, 2002 or before.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Well, SkyTrain extension to Coquitlam was first talked about back in 1988, and there is finally a plan for construction by maybe 1999. Final plan was made in 2008, and construction finally started in 2012 for 2016 opening.

That's sort of the time frame we're talking about here. When you see the first plan, probably there's still 17 more years before you can finally ride on it
Yeah, these things take forever, but at least there is more momentum now, with a few projects in various stages. Just have to hope that a) the crazy escalation in costs levels off and b) we don't get hammered with a severe recession.

Of course a severe recession would be the perfect time for government to put more money into big dollar projects, but it doesn't always pan out that way in real life.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 3:34 AM

it would be good to get this done sooner than later. would have been nice to see both SkyTrain to Langley done and SkyTrain to UBC done in the same decade. it would have built out the network nicely.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
it would be good to get this done sooner than later. would have been nice to see both SkyTrain to Langley done and SkyTrain to UBC done in the same decade. it would have built out the network nicely.
Sure more is always nicer but we're getting Broadway to Arbutus, SLS, and likely the Burnaby Mountain gondola this decade. That's all going to have a very dramatic impact.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
If UBCx commences construction within this decade, I think that's a pretty major win considering the delays thus far. The TBM know-how that is being gained currently would be a shame to lose.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 5:25 AM

I found the RFP Daily Hive is referencing: https://new.bcbid.gov.bc.ca/page.asp...xtranet/161876

Some very interesting information within.

Quote:
The Millennium Line SkyTrain UBC Extension Project (UBCx) is a complex infrastructure project that includes a Transit component (track & train) and Integrated development component (transit-oriented
development (TOD) opportunities along alignment). It is intended that both components of the UBCx project will be advanced concurrently.

The Transit component is a proposed approximately 7 km extension of the Millennium Line SkyTrain from Arbutus Station (under construction as the Broadway Subway Project) to a new terminus at UBC’s Main Campus on the Point Grey Peninsula, west of the City of Vancouver. Once completed, it will provide fast, frequent, and convenient SkyTrain service to BC’s largest university, world class health services, innovation and research hubs as well as providing connections to beachfront recreation and opportunities for enhanced integrated development with rapid transit.

As noted above, UBCx includes an Integrated development component through which the Province seeks to address and support wider Provincial and regional goals including housing affordability, provision of integrated development opportunities near SkyTrain stations and as well as effective urban integration of stations to promote mode shift, active travel and enhanced customer experience.
Quote:
The station assessment will need to consider integration with TOD as an important aspect of the station location, both the station box and/or headhouse. It is anticipated that two transit-oriented development (TOD) areas at Macdonald and Alma stations will be analyzed, in addition to a review of other areas where integrated development may be contemplated around stations, such as at Jericho Lands or UBC.
Quote:
MOTI is preparing Guidelines for Station Integration with Transit Oriented Development, which guidelines are intended to serve both UBCx project as well as other future SkyTrain projects.
It also does state that the Province officially took over the project in September 2022.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 9:16 AM

Nice find!
Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 10:31 PM

I guess they're looking for more South Granville Station (or more) kinds of integrated developments. I assume this is pretty much a given at Jericho, but it could definitely be a part of stations at Macdonald St and Alma St.

Has anyone heard whether UBC is interested in subsidizing an extension to Wesbrook Village?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure