HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 6:22 AM
SkyTrain Nut

'82 Eagle. They used to be very popular because they could handle our rapid weather changes. MPG is on par with most trucks these days too.

Quote:
In some regions, including the Pacific Northwest United States, British Columbia, and Alaska, AMC Eagles are still abundant and in service and available for sale decades after production ceased.

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Eagle#Collectibility

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 7:34 AM

^Legend

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post

Ironworkers Memorial Bridge hole filing. A part of our heritage. 2023.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 2:46 PM

Well there's been zero problems so it'll go down in the record books. Hopefully they'll do a better job of maintenance on the other problem spots developing.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Well there's been zero problems so it'll go down in the record books. Hopefully they'll do a better job of maintenance on the other problem spots developing.
True true. It was a bit shocking to hear on the traffic that bridge was delayed "because of hole you can see through down to the water".

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 5:02 AM

Saw this over on the Transit forum:

Quote:
Due to an expansion joint that has partially lifted out of the SB right lane Knight St. Bridge south of Mitchell Island which is closed has delayed all 022, 430 405 & 406 Services. 22 Knight is detouring 57th, Fraser, SE Marine, Knight St. Onramp NB Regular Route
https://cptdb.ca/topic/16533-collisi...comment-961714

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 7:19 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Saw this over on the Transit forum:

https://cptdb.ca/topic/16533-collisi...comment-961714
Knight Street Bridge SB backed up due to joint issue

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/0...street-bridge/

hope they get that sorted ASAP

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 8:24 AM

The only expansion joints I've really understood are the ones on the millennium line and how they sit on pads.

I know the bridges have expansion joints you here when you go over them, but not more inside then that.

Can someone explain in more detail what happened to this expansion joint? All I know os the Evergreen beam came down at the expansion joint during construction.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
The only expansion joints I've really understood are the ones on the millennium line and how they sit on pads.

I know the bridges have expansion joints you here when you go over them, but not more inside then that.

Can someone explain in more detail what happened to this expansion joint? All I know os the Evergreen beam came down at the expansion joint during construction.

They allow for thermal expansion/contraction of the bridge structure as it heats and cools throughout the day/year by breaking up the entire structure into somewhat independent sections. If a bridge was built as one solid structure stress would build up as it heated and cooled and would eventually rip itself apart. Instead the structure consists of smaller sections that are allowed to expand independently, in theory only a single expansion joint would be needed but it would need to very wide.

The expansion joint itself covers the gap between the sections in a way to allow for the movement and provide a relatively smooth surface to walk or drive over.

The pads on the Skytrain guideway columns are actually bearings that support the guideway while allowing it to move with expansion, bridges have the same. I believe the track fasteners allow for the track to shift with guideway and track expansion so there aren't specific expansion joints for the guideway structure, though there definitely are for the bridges.

Last edited by madog222; Mar 10, 2023 at 9:15 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post

From Wikipedia:

It's my understanding that the joint lifted up in one lane so that it was no longer level with the pavement.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 5:30 PM

Seems like water protection from damaging the structure of the bridge is also important which explains the use of seals in some joints.

https://www.canambridges.com/product...%20earthquakes.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 6:00 AM

Granville Loops

Quote:
Granville Loops

Some lane and street closures and detours will be in effect to facilitate construction. When required, vehicles will be detoured to the Howe Street and Seymour Street ramps.

Winter 2023 – east loop closure
Spring 2023 – west loop closure
Summer 2023 to fall 2023 – temporary Granville Street closure (refer to map below for detour)
Spring 2024 – opening of new downtown street network

Starting in February 2023, work on the first phase of the Granville Connector will begin, starting on the north end of the bridge.

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...connector.aspx
Today, saying goodbye to my way home for the past 19 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Here's the road layout replacing the loops.
Because of the one-way streets (Howe and Seymour), what would have been alleys
will become one-way roads (going opposite to the Howe & Seymour travel directions)
replacing the loops.
There will actually be a bit more flexibility, since northbound bridge traffic can "loop" around the block
then head east on Pacific to avoid Seymour and downtown traffic.
There will just be delays in executing the loop due to the 3 right turns (with pedestrians/traffic lights).

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...anville-street

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 6:14 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Anyone know when the city starting allowing construction crews to shut down a second lane of traffic? Used to be that they could get permits to take the inside (parking lane) away for a project but lately they have been grabbing the middle lane as well. Really screws up traffic, noticed it several place, on Renfrew heading south between Broadway and 12th, along Powell just before Oppenheimer park, and along Cordova near Heatley. I'm sure there are more.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 6:20 AM

^Fraser and 19th SB

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Anyone know when the city starting allowing construction crews to shut down a second lane of traffic? Used to be that they could get permits to take the inside (parking lane) away for a project but lately they have been grabbing the middle lane as well. Really screws up traffic, noticed it several place, on Renfrew heading south between Broadway and 12th, along Powell just before Oppenheimer park, and along Cordova near Heatley. I'm sure there are more.
Vancouver Centre 2, still.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 8:01 PM
Joshua B.

King George Blvd through Whalley is becoming unbearable to drive through. Another one right beside King George Station. Planned lights at 97 A Ave, 101 Ave, 102 A Ave. It takes forever to drive from 96th Ave to 108th Ave now.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 7:08 PM
Hello World

Vancouver's car-eating slow street barriers spark controversy (PHOTOS)

Without knowing more details, I feel that drivers must be rather distracted and/or driving too fast to land your car on those barriers. In which case, I feel those barriers are doing exactly as they’re intended to. Protect and slow down cars in neighborhood areas to increase safety for all on the roads there. I would like more of those around more neighborhoods to further reduce cars speeding through neighborhood roads. I believe road signs don’t slow down drivers. Only actual infrastructure do. So I have a hard time understanding what controversies it is creating other than for unsafe drivers in neighborhoods. What do you guys think?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post

Without knowing more details, I feel that drivers must be rather distracted and/or driving too fast to land your car on those barriers. In which case, I feel those barriers are doing exactly as they’re intended to. Protect and slow down cars in neighborhood areas to increase safety for all on the roads there. I would like more of those around more neighborhoods to further reduce cars speeding through neighborhood roads. I believe road signs don’t slow down drivers. Only actual infrastructure do. So I have a hard time understanding what controversies it is creating other than for unsafe drivers in neighborhoods. What do you guys think?
reminds me of the time when the bike lane on SW Marine Dr was new. i came upon heavy traffic mid-day. it was so strange. and what did i come upon to find? a 100% upside down taxi! it had driven up one of the conc barriers and flipped.

clearly they werent paying attention, and theyre a "professional" driver.

i dont know enough about these "slow" streets. but as long as theyre not getting pushed onto roads like arterials/collectors, i dont really see the issue with them.

though if its a bike route, i dont know why CoV doesnt just remove parking from 1 side, and add barriers sporadically. seems like it would be low hanging fruit to improve things. i dont believe people should have a right to street parking. if they want parking, build a driveway/garage on your land.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 7:34 PM

Yeah I’d blame inattentive drivers but the barriers could be more visible. In the daily hive post it looks like every car that has driven up on them is driving towards the busy intersection. For cars in that direction there is no ‘slow street’ sign.

They should have at least a pole on both barriers with a hazard marker.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post

I looked at the other images too and all the barriers are bright yellow - how on earth could anyone not see them and crash into them?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure