Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
That is Midtown Manhattan
Midtown East*

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 1:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New York Lion View Post
Midtown East*
I’m a life-long New Yorker, and I don’t consider 10th Ave and 40th St to be Midtown. It’s Hell’s Kitchen.

I agree with your point. Excellent, as always, my good man!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 1:54 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'm hoping we see a boom on the level of the last where both HY Phase II, PA Terminal, Penn District and Midtown East go rampant.

I feel at this moment we are seeing the very tail end of the last boom, with many projects at the stages of being complete or have recently been complete but I'm not really seeing that spike, at least based on some of the permits being issued. It has slowed down but let's hope we get a Bloomberg style boom in the works within the next 2-3 years.

Not to say things aren't occurring but it's not that warp speed like in the past where the whole city was "literally" littered in cranes. I hope 2023 kicks it up a notch!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I’m a life-long New Yorker, and I don’t consider 10th Ave and 40th St to be Midtown. It’s Hell’s Kitchen.

You are the man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'm hoping we see a boom on the level of the last where both HY Phase II, PA Terminal, Penn District and Midtown East go rampant.

I feel at this moment we are seeing the very tail end of the last boom, with many projects at the stages of being complete or have recently been complete but I'm not really seeing that spike, at least based on some of the permits being issued. It has slowed down but let's hope we get a Bloomberg style boom in the works within the next 2-3 years.

Not to say things aren't occurring but it's not that warp speed like in the past where the whole city was "literally" littered in cranes. I hope 2023 kicks it up a notch!
Do not forget about Downtown. That is where it all started, after all. Magical buildings like King Woolworth, 70 Pine, 40 Wall, Equitable, and 14 Wall still stand proudly.

45 Broad, 80 South, and there are a few more dev sites down there. 111 Washington comes to mind.

I am betting we see more towers similar to 130 William and 8 Spruce Street. It is becoming a pretty solid place to live and invest, given its excellent transport to Brooklyn in particular. Brooklyn is where all the "cool kids" hang out.

And of course the WTC needs to be completed, which it will be, in time.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 2:46 AM

Getting a little off topic here, but Lower Manhattan may be my favorite part of The City.

You stand on Wall, Broad, near the Battery, etc. and you're enveloped by a sea of glorious old buildings.

Federal Hall, the stock exchange, the old cotton exchange, Fraunces Tavern, the Potter Building, the customs house, Watson House, et al come to mind.

And the WTC is the Western Wall of the world's only hyperpower.

I get chills thinking about Downtown.

And that's not to mention the utterly world-class neighborhoods like TriBeCa and SoHo.

And soon, that list will include Hudson Square.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 1:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post

Midtown, and Midtown proper are two different things. Everyone knows midtown is between 14th-59th streets. Midtown proper is more defined, and has more to do with where the office towers are concentrated. Even the ESB isn’t really considered a part of that. But technically speaking, even the Javits is in Midtown.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 5:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Going back to google earth views as we look more closely at the sites of the planned towers.

SITE 4

2.3 MSF Office Tower

This tower would be located at the far western end of the development. It would sit just west of the new ramp structure. It would have a footprint in size roughly equal to or slightly smaller than One Vanderbilt. Because it sits directly over a tunnel opening, there will not be as much sublevel space here as it could be, giving the tower more elevation.

As it is today....

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 11:20 AM
Mulan M.

Quote:

What do you mean by the statement?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 2:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahoi View Post
What do you mean by the statement?
He’s basically saying we’re at a period where a lot of projects are finishing, and not as many have started yet. It’s basically the calm before the storm in terms of that. But we can see the rain start to fall, with projects like 262 5th and 520 5th. Soon to be followed by 41 w57th, 740 8th, maybe 570 5th. 3 Hudson hasn’t risen above ground yet. There’s some stirring Downtown at both 80 South and 45 Broad. 343 Madison will join 270 Park when demo is complete, as will the exciting 175 Park. The bidding for 418 11th ( Affirmation Tower site) could put that one on the fast track. 15 Penn is just demo away from joining the party. And most of those are just the supertall skyscrapers. But bigger changes to midtown are coming with the twin rebuilding projects at Penn Station and the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Those developments will spin off skyscrapers like a storm spins off tornados. They’re in the forecast. So, while it may be a simple rain now, (a rain that could flood most places), the storm is coming. And LIC, DT Brooklyn, and JC will all get it.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 3:41 PM

Yeah that's another thing I'm excited about. Not just what these projects will directly build themselves, but also what development they'll spur on.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 3:46 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

I agree. The spill over effect. Hudson Yards was a good example of this. Once the towers started rising within the areas where the rail was covered, a lot of proxy developments came to be. Will be no different with Penn District, Midtown East, LIC and DoBro. When one arrives, more arise.

Same with Jersey City and now, although slow... Newark NJ.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 8:08 PM

But the tower didn't have 2.4 MSF?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 9:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
But the tower didn't have 2.4 MSF?
Site 1, 2 and 4 allow for 2 MSF or greater. Zoning wise.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
He’s basically saying we’re at a period where a lot of projects are finishing, and not as many have started yet. It’s basically the calm before the storm in terms of that. But we can see the rain start to fall, with projects like 262 5th and 520 5th. Soon to be followed by 41 w57th, 740 8th, maybe 570 5th. 3 Hudson hasn’t risen above ground yet. There’s some stirring Downtown at both 80 South and 45 Broad. 343 Madison will join 270 Park when demo is complete, as will the exciting 175 Park. The bidding for 418 11th ( Affirmation Tower site) could put that one on the fast track. 15 Penn is just demo away from joining the party. And most of those are just the supertall skyscrapers. But bigger changes to midtown are coming with the twin rebuilding projects at Penn Station and the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Those developments will spin off skyscrapers like a storm spins off tornados. They’re in the forecast. So, while it may be a simple rain now, (a rain that could flood most places), the storm is coming. And LIC, DT Brooklyn, and JC will all get it.
I can't wait to see that skyscraper forecast in the future, especially a storm!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 1:00 AM
New Yorker for life

^ You won’t have to wait long.

Quote:
^^^

I agree. The spill over effect. Hudson Yards was a good example of this. Once the towers started rising within the areas where the rail was covered,

Another bonus to this development is the Port Authority covering over some of the access roads to the Lincoln Tunnel. There should be more of this, and it will go a long way towards “solidifying” the west side.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 8:16 PM
New Yorker for life

For zoning purposes, some comparisons with recent additions…..(total size - vs allowable FAR)

ONE VANDERBILT

1.653 m - 1.298 m (30 FAR)

CENTRAL PARK TOWER

1.617 m - 1.212 m (13.3 FAR)

STEINWAY TOWER

.581 m/entire building - .296 m /new addition. (12.8 FAR)

432 PARK AVENUE

.748 m (all buildings) - .595 m (14 FAR)

THE SPIRAL

2.609 m - 2.222 m (33 FAR)

50 HUDSON

2.868 m - 2.265 m (33FAR)

270 PARK

2.420 m - 1.863 m (23 FAR)

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 12:43 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Some extra reading material: https://www.panynj.gov/port-authorit...d-archite.html

Press Release Number: 78-2022

" PORT AUTHORITY ANNOUNCES TWO-FIRM TEAM OF WORLD-RENOWNED ARCHITECTS TO LEAD ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN OF AGENCY’S TRANSFORMATIVE 21ST CENTURY VISION FOR WORLD’S BUSIEST BUS TERMINAL "

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 3:07 PM

Quote:

I think you will see a spike in activity whenever the interest rates come down.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 6:02 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.nj.com/news/2023/07/port...n-of-cash.html

Port Authority Bus Terminal replacement gets $65M infusion of cash

Jul. 05, 2023

Quote:
There are no bulldozers, cranes and platoons of orange-vested construction crews working on the two massive buildings on 42nd Street between Seventh and Ninth avenues. But engineers, planners and architects are at work and the Port Authority’s board pumped another $65 million into the project to keep them working.

Of the $65 million approved on June 22, $49 million is added to a contract with WSP, hired in 2017 for the first phase of design, engineering work and to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement, Rick Cotton, Port Authority executive director told reporters last week.

.....The new design is a ground-up replacement, introduced in January, that would include a five-story bus terminal, a close to 1-million square-feet of bus storage and staging building between 9th and 10th avenues, and a bigger set of ramps directly to and from the Lincoln Tunnel. It would provide five floors for buses and 160 passenger gates.

The new terminal design also includes infrastructure for future construction of four high-rise towers over portions of the new bus terminal that could help fund it, through sale of air rights and payments in lieu of taxes shared by the city with the authority.
Quote:
The added funding “will keep everybody at work,” Cotton said.

“This is a complicated project, there have been other fund provided in the run up,” he said. “WSP was one of the early consultant s hired to work on the planning on the preparation of the environmental review.”

No date is projected when the draft environmental impact statement could be completed, a spokesperson said Friday. That document would trigger another round of public hearings about what that analysis says, a response and possible modifications to the plans before it is submitted to the FTA for a decision.

.....Last August, the authority hired Foster + Partners and A. Epstein and Sons International, Inc., as an architectural design team, for the bus terminal which are still at work.

“We have very high aspirations,” Cotton said. “We want it to be an architectural gem, we want it to be highly functional in it’s capacity to handle buses.”

Video Link

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 6, 2023 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 8:45 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/01/n...placement.html

A Look at the $10 Billion Design for a New Port Authority Bus Terminal
The Port Authority unveiled a revised design for a replacement of the much-reviled transit hub, which opened in 1950.

By Patrick McGeehan
Feb. 1, 2024

Quote:
It has taken a full decade to conceive, but a $10 billion transformation of New York City’s dreary main bus terminal may get rolling in the next few months.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the terminal, unveiled an updated design for its replacement on Thursday. Instead of the dismal, brick hulk that has darkened two full blocks of Midtown Manhattan for over 70 years, there would be a bright, modern transit hub topped by two office towers.

Construction is expected to take eight years, he said, meaning the project could be completed by 2032. Planning was delayed at least a year by the coronavirus pandemic.

A previous design that had included building towers on Port Authority property near the terminal has been scaled back. The revised plan calls for fewer new buildings, with office towers that could be more than 60 stories tall on Eighth Avenue at the corners of 40th and 42nd Streets. Payments from the developers of those buildings would help cover the cost of the project, Mr. Cotton said.
Quote:
The project would be built in two four-year phases.

The first would involve constructing a separate building west of the terminal to serve as a storage and staging area for buses, as well as ramps to connect the terminal directly to the Lincoln Tunnel. The second phase would consist of building the new terminal where the old one now stands without disrupting the flow of buses that stream in and out of the city at rush hours.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals