HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

The One in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 3:41 PM
I am the law!

I totally agree the 339 metre tower looks a whole lot better than the 309 metre version. With that said, there is absolutely no reason they can't create a version of the 339 metre version in a 309 metre frame. Height has nothing to do with design.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 3:44 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
It's a great render, but by 2035 there will be many more towers than are shown, including the 1,100-ft 1200 Bay St. Here is steveveve's Yonge/Bloor render, which I believe includes all proposals:

All proposals are certainly not going to be built by 2035. Even 50% would be impressive. There's just a shitload of applications and many more added every year doubling completions (sometimes 3 to 4 times completions)

More and more 30 storey towers going up in Hamilton, Kitchener, London, etc is not complimentary to investment in Toronto. It's competition. We'll have to wait and see wait it means to the pace in Toronto.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 6:22 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76samian View Post
This tower hasn't been approved for 339m. Its 309m and the always useless city counsel wont budge on that. Correct me if I am wrong because this tower looks ridiculous at 309 m with the top tier chopped in half?
Maybe they should have designed it with the height in mind? Or at least re-done the math on the floor section count to make it look right.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 6:59 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

They got screwed by shadowing guidelines...

Last edited by koops65; May 5, 2022 at 10:14 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 8:08 PM
I am the law!

As far as I know, They applied for the goofy 309 metre design and it got approved. They came back later for an increase with a better design which is not being approved. It's not like they originally applied for 339 metres and settled on 309 metres resulting in either a hack job or re-design in a shorter envelope.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 9:01 PM
Volatile Pacivist

They probably just assumed that an extra 30m wouldn't be a big deal and decided to re-design for the increase treating the approval process as a formality.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 11:31 PM
DENNAB

So this isn't 339 m / 1110 feet?

That makes sense. The SSC thread and CTBUH still list it as 1,012 feet / 309m.

Kind of a bummer, I was looking forward to the first 1,100 footer outside of the USA in the Americas. What are the odds it'll get a bump?

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 4:59 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I'm unsure of when the city council meeting will be going ahead to formally discuss the merits of this height increase, but that's what we've been waiting for since the height increase request was made public. I don't see it happening, but who knows.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 6:27 PM
I am the law!

Apparently a post secondary institution is interested in the upper retail floors. Another concept called, The One at The One, will include 5 units; one for an internationally recognized artist and, four others for art students/graduates of the post secondary institution to live for free for a year.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I'm unsure of when the city council meeting will be going ahead to formally discuss the merits of this height increase, but that's what we've been waiting for since the height increase request was made public. I don't see it happening, but who knows.
So the quality of our skyline which is highlighted in movies, tourism etc. layes in the balance of a completely ignorant city hall.....?

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 3:24 AM

This project features prominently in this new video on the B1M channel.
https://youtu.be/tmNwuM6rWKo

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 2:06 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76samian View Post
So the quality of our skyline which is highlighted in movies, tourism etc. layes in the balance of a completely ignorant city hall.....?
Residents of the city matter and that has fallen by the wayside too much over the years for economic growth stats. I don't know enough about the affects of this height increase to be really for or against it. These comments over quality of skyline are completely superficial to everyday life and a city hall that reigns in ridiculously overdeveloped rezoning applications a little bit doesn't make it any less pro development.

Developers are consistently overpaying for development sites and the city factors that into the approval process so that developers don't lose their shirts That's zoning by profit. How is that not pro development?

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 6:26 PM

The One | 338.3m | 94s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners l u/c

Pouring the 10th floor… a few more to go.

Benito

Benito

BloorMan
Cladding the west external elevator core.

Benito

Northern Light

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 2:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

has the final height been definitively determined?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
has the final height been definitively determined?
No. They filed for the increase like 2 years ago, and finally resubmitted in April, so it is still moving along. No word on approval yet.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 1:12 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
No. They filed for the increase like 2 years ago, and finally resubmitted in April, so it is still moving along. No word on approval yet.
just the news i cliked for — thanks friend!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 5:39 PM
I am the law!

Why did it take them two years to submit documents after filing? At this point, the tower will top out before this is decided.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Why did it take them two years to submit documents after filing? At this point, the tower will top out before this is decided.
It looks to me like the paperwork and the tower construction are in a “race” to see who can finish last.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
No idea. Sometimes it takes forever for staff to send back comments on an application - I've seen it take over a year for that alone in some cases, particularly for "low priority" files.

To be clear - it's a resubmission, they submitted documents asking for the height increase 2 years ago, and made a resubmission to address comments this year.

I imagine Staff will review the resubmission now, go back and forth on a finalized by-law, then put in front of Council for approval in the spring following the election cycle this fall (provided staff are supportive of the application).

This project has been slow as hell, but has also been dogged by tons of uncontrollable delays which makes it seem even worse. It just got off a 5-6 week labour strike which paused construction yet again.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 1:24 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction