HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnhappy View Post
Yes, it was on the P92xx Orions (suburban configuration is the official name of their seating config). I think I speak for many others (including drivers apparently) when I say that their replacement will not come soon enough (should have been done already).

I'm personally very happy that BC Transit went with the Nova buses (and they have for some time with their fleets in Chilliwack, Abbotsford, on Vancouver Island, etc.) with standard layouts.
Not for me. I goddamn love the suburban buses and their coach seating. F#*KING LOVE IT.

I could not imagine being on an urban bus with it's rattling back door and the sound of the road and wind and rain vibrating every surface in the bus on the long and high speed trips on the 555 or 351. Sitting sideways toucing shoulder to shoulder at the back Give me a nice soft seat I can sleep in or a special reading light and air vents any day.

I was actually on an articulated bus to Horseshoe bay once, and on the upper levels the entire back section started to rock back and forth so hard that all the people sitting on the benches at the back were thrown from their seats and onto the floor. I would not want to be in a regular bus in an accident at 110km/h on the 99.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
Not for me. I goddamn love the suburban buses and their coach seating. F#*KING LOVE IT.

I could not imagine being on an urban bus with it's rattling back door and the sound of the road and wind and rain vibrating every surface in the bus on the long and high speed trips on the 555 or 351. Sitting sideways toucing shoulder to shoulder at the back Give me a nice soft seat I can sleep in or a special reading light and air vents any day.

I was actually on an articulated bus to Horseshoe bay once, and on the upper levels the entire back section started to rock back and forth so hard that all the people sitting on the benches at the back were thrown from their seats and onto the floor. I would not want to be in a regular bus in an accident at 110km/h on the 99.
I'm over 6ft and while I don't have tonnes of legroom on the suburban Orions I would rather have a higher chance of sitting vs. standing for 45 minutes. It's not perfect, sure, but considering that the 351 is often near capacity the extra seats from having the suburban layout is greatly appreciated, alongside the benefits you listed.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:24 PM

One year anniversary this week. A few special events:

On Friday, April 8, BC Transit Ambassadors will travel the route during the morning rush hour, offering customers cupcakes and scratch-and-win bookmarks, which could be worth a one-month BC Transit pass. Watch for various local leaders, riding the bus leaving Yale Road and Spadina in Chilliwack at 6:15 a.m.

On Saturday, April 9, all rides on #66 FVX will be free, to give those who haven’t tried the service yet a chance to experience it for themselves.

also averaging 235 rides per day, compared to 195 projected, so they see this as a success so far.

http://bctransit.com/chilliwack/news...=1403645772409

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 8:02 PM
Rational urbanist

This is old news at this point, but since it hasn't been posted here yet, the Fraser Valley Express will be extended to Lougheed Town Centre Station sometime in early 2021.

Here's a link to the minutes of a Board meeting confirming support for the expansion: https://pub-fvrd.escribemeetings.com...cumentId=10682

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
This is old news at this point, but since it hasn't been posted here yet, the Fraser Valley Express will be extended to Lougheed Town Centre Station sometime in early 2021.

Here's a link to the minutes of a Board meeting confirming support for the expansion: https://pub-fvrd.escribemeetings.com...cumentId=10682
It would be a shame if this wasn't integrated with translink service

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 1:38 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdawe View Post
It would be a shame if this wasn't integrated with translink service
In what sense?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 5:56 PM

Does the compass card work through that exchange? It might be annoying to have riders switch from one payment system to another.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:46 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
Does the compass card work through that exchange? It might be annoying to have riders switch from one payment system to another.
At the moment (with the connection at Carvolth Exchange) you have to pay twice, and I believe it'll stay that way with this extension. It is annoying, but it still works as it stands now, and integrating the Compass Card with the FVX would open up a huge other can of worms.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
At the moment (with the connection at Carvolth Exchange) you have to pay twice, and I believe it'll stay that way with this extension. It is annoying, but it still works as it stands now, and integrating the Compass Card with the FVX would open up a huge other can of worms.
I dont see it merging together anytime soon as one platform. As they get funded seperate. I believe Fraser Valley is BC transit

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
I dont see it merging together anytime soon as one platform. As they get funded seperate. I believe Fraser Valley is BC transit
I know that the major transit system for FVRD is BC Transit, and that translink has operating rights there for WCX.

However, the driver union for both Chilliwack and CVRD is first transit. Someone I was talking to said that the agencies are owned by BC transit but operated by First.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 2:28 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
Inter-jurisdictional fare integration still happens, so it's not impossible. I just don't believe it's planned for this service at this stage.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 7:00 AM

I always thought that when the BC government nudged Translink into creating the Compass card with some provincial money, that at the end they would turn around and lease the tech back from Translink for use in BC transit. I guess not, at least not yet.

That said...

Even if there was a province wide fare card, there is no way going between agencies should be on one fare, especially a single zone Translink bus fare. Abbotsford to Coquitlam is a long way, people deserve to pay a higher fare.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 9:39 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
I always thought that when the BC government nudged Translink into creating the Compass card with some provincial money, that at the end they would turn around and lease the tech back from Translink for use in BC transit. I guess not, at least not yet.

That said...

Even if there was a province wide fare card, there is no way going between agencies should be on one fare, especially a single zone Translink bus fare. Abbotsford to Coquitlam is a long way, people deserve to pay a higher fare.
In Toronto, people taking TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) to cross the city limit pay extra fare. If TTC can pull that off, Translink should be able to as well.* Just make people pay extra across 276th Street in SofF.

* But if people taking the 701 all the way to Mission City don't have to pay extra, I don't think Translink can pull it off.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:57 AM

realistically, crossing the Translink-Fraser Valley line doesn't need to be the same fare, but it can functionally be the another fare-zone

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdawe View Post
realistically, crossing the Translink-Fraser Valley line doesn't need to be the same fare, but it can functionally be the another fare-zone
TransLink's switching to a metrowide distance-based fare though. Seems like an unnecessary complication.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure