Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The lower levels would make terrible office space. The size of the floorplate is not what matters for office, it is the dimensions of the floor and column spacing. Floors this rectangular would be almost impossible to make work from an exiting standpoint for office space. Office spaces are required to have two exits that are further apart than the furthest corner of the space from an exit. On a floor this long and narrow that would be nearly impossible to do for most spaces smaller than a full floor. That's why most office buildings are much more "square" than the long, thin, narrow hotel and residential buildings we see going up. That's also why big blocky buildings like 600 W Chicago, Merch Mart, Fulton Market, and now Post Office are attracting big office tenants. Their massive blocky floorplates are ultra efficient, narrow floor plates are very inefficient and require a much higher loss factor.
I see, thanks for sharing. One thing about the east loop that I hate is how dead that area is. Despite having so many high rises, theres so few people walking around. A hotel and retail would make the east loop more pedestrian friendly, but I think having some office space would also help. When I mentioned about having office space in 375 E wacker I was thinking about how Roosevelt & Michigan dev is consider 300g of office space in addition to the apts.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 7:40 PM

I'm sure the Lakeshore East area will eventually be much more lively especially once this building is built. You have to remember that LSE is only about half complete right now. Eventually there will be almost twice as many people there as there are now. The park is already quite lively when it is nice out, eventually this area will be crawling with pedestrians especially once the rest of the area is fleshed out and it is less of a PITA to walk around there.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 7:55 PM

I think that LSE could have became a huge shopping center because of Michigan Avenue, but the big corporate Illinois center sort of blocked that

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 2:07 AM
THAT Guy

Slightly higher res rendering:

I'm interested in seeing what the middle portion of the base will look like and what purpose it serves. But yeah, on the whole, the design needs further refinement IMO based on this one rendering. The height and size of the building are exciting though.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 2:28 AM
DENNAB

Okay this has grown on me I love it

Build now please

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 3:12 AM

I agree Zapatan! The more I see this tower the more it grow on me? I can't wait to see this rise.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 3:21 AM

Gang has just announced a 400 footer for SF so maybe they just can't handle press for two buildings at once.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/place/...ng-5614053.php

I do like that she's "famed Chicago architect" and not just "famed architect". Makes it seem like Chicago's architectural pedigree is still worth something. I think that building is pretty nice looking as well. You can definitely see a dislike for flat walls in her career.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Gang has just announced a 400 footer for SF so maybe they just can't handle press for two buildings at once.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/place/...ng-5614053.php

I do like that she's "famed Chicago architect" and not just "famed architect". Makes it seem like Chicago's architectural pedigree is still worth something. I think that building is pretty nice looking as well. You can definitely see a dislike for flat walls in her career.
wow looks great! and i totally agree, it makes me feel proud of my city when it contains Famed architects! Back to the tower, isn't LSE zoned for buildings of this height? so it shouldent be a problem getting this thing under way right? i just hope the aldermen dont get thier panties all up in a bunch because of this.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 4:38 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Makes it seem like Chicago's architectural pedigree is still worth something.
Of course it is, a lot of today's significant projects are still designed in Chicago

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 7:27 AM

At first I didn't like the design. I was afraid the massing would make the tower look clumsy, but soon I managed to see the model made by Ryan81, and I love it. It works well with the skyline of Chicago. It's beautiful. Build it now!!!!!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 7:10 PM
Chicago Kid

I'm still undecided. I do like the SF tower more. Overall I like it though.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 9:58 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

I keep looking at the renders and tbqh its a turd. The massing sucks, its too wide and the concept is just not strong. I personally hope this version is not built.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 10:01 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
"Investing in Chicago property is just Wanda's first move into the US real estate market," said Wanda Group Chairman Wang Jianlin, "Within a year, Wanda will invest in more five-star hotel projects in major US cities like New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. By 2020, Wanda will have Wanda-branded, five-star hotels in 12 to 15 major world cities and build an internationally influential Chinese luxury hotel brand."
Hopefully these future investments can yield some supertalls for those cities. If the Chinese want to build supertalls here, I'm all for it.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 10:07 PM

China built dozens of new 5 star hotels for the Beijing Olympics which I wouldn't doubt are having trouble filling up now. Maybe they could just airlift them over here.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashingLights View Post
I'm still undecided. I do like the SF tower more. Overall I like it though.
I actually find the SF tower reassuring because it's not just good looking, it's recognizably Gang's work, and this Wanda tower isn't yet (which boosts my confidence that what we're seeing are just early concepts, not the polished final product).

Last edited by streetline; Jul 14, 2014 at 2:33 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 3:29 AM
TL;DR

You guys think there's some chance that Gang developed the massing and then Wanda handed it over to some Chinese hack architect to bring costs down? It would explain the cheesy rendering, which looks visibly Chinese in origin.

Of course, many American firms now rely on Chinese companies for renderings, but I doubt Studio Gang is among them. Their renderings do not have this anime-esque quality.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 4:45 AM

I like how the tower goes against the grid a bit by going over the road. but i really liked the proposal before, the tower with the hole. each proposal is unique and i like that. but im starting to eat up this design!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 4:49 AM
Meh

I like the light color of it. It almost blends into the sky. The reflections on this thing are going to be nuts.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
You guys think there's some chance that Gang developed the massing and then Wanda handed it over to some Chinese hack architect to bring costs down? It would explain the cheesy rendering, which looks visibly Chinese in origin.

Of course, many American firms now rely on Chinese companies for renderings, but I doubt Studio Gang is among them. Their renderings do not have this anime-esque quality.
Is it possible? Yes, but Wanda Group is actually a pretty profitable company. They bought AMC Theatres for $2.6 Billion. They profit $2 Bil/year and their company is growing pretty fast. I doubt that saving $100,000 is a MAJOR concern of theirs.

I also like Gang's SF tower. Very cool.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 6:55 AM
TL;DR

Maybe Wanda just felt more comfortable working with local Chinese architects?

I see this as a partnership where Magellan brings Studio Gang to the table and Wanda brings some Chinese firm, and this one rendering is just an odd product of that marriage somehow. The current version of the design may look nothing like this. I suspect there is some reason Studio Gang hasn't come forward to claim this rendering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture