HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 5:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post
Precisely. An arena is NOT a Catalyst to new housing/hotels etc etc.

100 Mill - 200 Mill would go a lot further with other investments for revitalizing downtown Regina.
Hey, I totally agree. But we are talking about where an arena, if built, should go. It's not going to create economic spinoffs out of thin air, as they will just pull money from Moose Jaw or other parts of the city, but if we want to try to make our city more attractive to outside visitors and potential migrants, bringing some life into the downtown would be paramount.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 8:24 PM

The survey is available online. You should all go fill it out.

https://beheard.regina.ca/catalyst-committee

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I would consider the arena itself to be the improvement to downtown Regina. You can probably expect a hotel and a couple of restaurants to go with it and that's fine. Maybe an apartment building and/or an office, that would make it a home run. But I'd keep expectations in check.

I mean, look at Moose Jaw. They built a huge and spectacular (relative to the city's size) downtown arena and while the main drag has probably benefitted a bit from it, the side streets adjacent to the arena are still downright barren. There is only so much that an arena can do on its own. That's not to say it isn't worth building as a civic amenity, but unless you're talking some MSG or Crypto.com-level arena, it won't transform the area single-handedly.
GM place was built in 1994 in Vancouver. They didn't start directly building house/hotels adjacent to it until nearly 20 years after it was built, same with BC Place...The idea that an Arena in Downtown Regina would immediately spur in the short to mid-term any form of Residential Housing is quite far fetched. Saddledome was built and spurred no housing until now.

Edmonton, Vancouver, and Winnipeg had the actual owner of the Arena start the process of developing the land directly. Katz, Aquilini, True North.

So are the Semples going to kick up the majority of the funds? and then kick start residential development immediately adjacent?...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
The survey is available online. You should all go fill it out.

https://beheard.regina.ca/catalyst-committee
Done!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 11:48 PM

I for one am interested to see how the preferred block for the arena was chosen and how they will deal with the heritage buildings. I assume the fact that the land is nearly all controlled by government factored into it. I also feel that the Broad Street area would be better.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Development from arenas/ stadium are grossly embellished to make the public input more palatable. I wouldn't count on apartments or hotels without further public investment or preexisting interest.
I would generally agree with this - especially because arenas displace developable land and generally do not pay property taxes. Also they tend to count development that would have happened regardless.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 3:51 PM

And so the NIMBY’s of downtown have begun LOL. First of all it, it wouldn’t be an open air facility regarding the kind of sound that comes from Mosaic. Also, a successful downtown is supposed to be full of activity and noise. Downtown Toronto is always full of sounds. Yes not optimal but you get used to it. Otherwise you move to the suburbs or country. Regina downtown is a pin drop sound to what Toronto is, even with a new arena being built there.

…“Concerns were raised about where the arena is to be placed. Kelly Miller came with concerns about a new facility being built downtown.

“I live close enough to (Mosaic Stadium) that I can hear the games from my home, or the concerts from my home. It’s going to be even harder downtown,” said Miller.

Miller is concerned about the noise with all the seniors apartments downtown. Furthermore, if the facility is built downtown, Miller said there could be concerns over lack of parking.“

https://www.cjme.com/2022/10/17/regi...tion-projects/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 3:59 PM

Leave it to Regina to finally put something important downtown...and then likely choose the worst location that requires demolishing a bunch of decent buildings (instead of the near-empty lot on a main drag). Based on Regina's entire existence and history being based on land scandals, I can only assume someone knows someone who owns some land and will make a bunch of money.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 4:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
And so the NIMBY’s of downtown have begun LOL. First of all it, it wouldn’t be an open air facility regarding the kind of sound that comes from Mosaic. Also, a successful downtown is supposed to be full of activity and noise. Downtown Toronto is always full of sounds. Yes not optimal but you get used to it. Otherwise you move to the suburbs or country. Regina downtown is a pin drop sound to what Toronto is, even with a new arena being built there.

…“Concerns were raised about where the arena is to be placed. Kelly Miller came with concerns about a new facility being built downtown.

“I live close enough to (Mosaic Stadium) that I can hear the games from my home, or the concerts from my home. It’s going to be even harder downtown,” said Miller.

Miller is concerned about the noise with all the seniors apartments downtown. Furthermore, if the facility is built downtown, Miller said there could be concerns over lack of parking.“

https://www.cjme.com/2022/10/17/regi...tion-projects/
Totally predictable

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Leave it to Regina to finally put something important downtown...and then likely choose the worst location that requires demolishing a bunch of decent buildings (instead of the near-empty lot on a main drag). Based on Regina's entire existence and history being based on land scandals, I can only assume someone knows someone who owns some land and will make a bunch of money.
If this actually happens I will lose all remaining hope for this city. We have already carved out just about every last bit of soul that there was in the downtown and tearing down some of the remaining functional heritage buildings would be just about the last straw. There is no logical argument for this, other than a cash grab as you say!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Totally predictable
Any city that has built a downtown arena has gone through this NIMBY rigamarole. There won't be excessive noise, there won't be parking hassles. Downtown Regina can easily handle 10,000 fans for an arena event.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
If this actually happens I will lose all remaining hope for this city. We have already carved out just about every last bit of soul that there was in the downtown and tearing down some of the remaining functional heritage buildings would be just about the last straw. There is no logical argument for this, other than a cash grab as you say!
Maybe Prairie Dog has received bad leaked info and that is not the #1 option at all.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 4:40 PM

I agree that parking is not an issue downtown. There are more than 10,000 spots downtown, mostly unused during arena events. The Arena would need less than 5000.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Maybe Prairie Dog has received bad leaked info and that is not the #1 option at all.
Its the word on the street. I was aware this was the preferred location several weeks ago.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Any city that has built a downtown arena has gone through this NIMBY rigamarole. There won't be excessive noise, there won't be parking hassles. Downtown Regina can easily handle 10,000 fans for an arena event.
Having lived in Downtown Calgary, Vancouver, and stayed in hotels next to stadiums across North America, no there will be loud noises, there will be parking hassles, there will be traffic issues.

BUT that being said, if you want a quiet little idylic life like the person bemoaning perhaps the Burbs are a better location. I personally love the vibrancy and vigor that comes with being around an Arena or Stadium. Traffic always is an issue when a game or event gets out. Noise? always happens. But thats part of Urban Life!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 4:56 PM

Quote:
That was my hope but the rumour doesn't seem to be going away, and is supported by the question on the survey that asks about support for the library and arena being next to one another. Unless of course that is where the rumour started and instead the preferred spot for the arena/new RPL is side by side, but on Broad or somewhere else.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Having lived in Downtown Calgary, Vancouver, and stayed in hotels next to stadiums across North America, no there will be loud noises, there will be parking hassles, there will be traffic issues.

BUT that being said, if you want a quiet little idylic life like the person bemoaning perhaps the Burbs are a better location. I personally love the vibrancy and vigor that comes with being around an Arena or Stadium. Traffic always is an issue when a game or event gets out. Noise? always happens. But thats part of Urban Life!
I'm starting to think that there are very few people in this city that actually want an urban environment.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 5:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I agree that parking is not an issue downtown. There are more than 10,000 spots downtown, mostly unused during arena events. The Arena would need less than 5000.
I have literally never had a problem getting a spot on the street for short trips downtown or in a lot/garage for longer. I like to think of myself as empathetic but I cannot for the life of me understand anyone who complains about parking downtown, except maybe when it comes to cost (even then, you could take the bus).

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 5:31 PM

Quote:

Noise in the form of people on the sidewalks for 20 minutes after the game is over. Certainly nothing that will disturb people living in their residences.

Downtown Regina has more than enough parking to accommodate an arena crowd. So what do you mean by "parking hassles"?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
I'm starting to think that there are very few people in this city that actually want an urban environment.
It doesn't matter where you are...this kind of noise always happens from the vocal minority.

I think Regina is going to have an urban environment sooner rather than later. Its going to take a non-regina developer and/or a big fund to believe in the opportunity and kick something off.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan