HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
The bonus of having that parking lot is that in non-school hours (weekend, etc), it can hopefully be used for people using the park/baseball/soccer fields.
Is that what is being proposed? All the new schools lock up their parking lots in after hours. Even Winston Knoll did it back when I was a young buck in 99-02.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:56 PM
Canadian Urbanite

The reason development along Parliament in Harbour Landing is a mixed-bag is because those parcels fall within the NEF (Noise Exposure Forecast) overlay due to proximity to the airport. This constrains residential uses but where other commercial or industrial uses are still permitted. It's not surprising how it developed out and in fact was always expected if you go back to the original site plan.

https://www.regina.ca/export/sites/R...st-Overlay.pdf

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 7:09 PM

Some more information...

Saskatchewan Science Centre to get multi-million-dollar spruce-up

Quote:
Renovation work can start right away on things like new flooring and bathrooms. Other areas that will get a remodel include the front entrance and ticket kiosk, along with the IMAX Theatre concession and box office areas.
https://www.cjme.com/2021/05/12/sask...lar-spruce-up/

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Is that what is being proposed? All the new schools lock up their parking lots in after hours. Even Winston Knoll did it back when I was a young buck in 99-02.
Knoll only locks up the parking lot that is behind the school, but they also usually leave it unlocked when there are community events (e.g. soccer games, etc.) held there. The front and side parking lots can't be locked at all.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 10:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
Knoll only locks up the parking lot that is behind the school, but they also usually leave it unlocked when there are community events (e.g. soccer games, etc.) held there. The front and side parking lots can't be locked at all.
Ya, that’s right. I think they built the lot on the NW edge of the school when I was there. Still wasn’t enough to contain the massive amount of vehicles students drove to school.

I do notice when I make my way to Costco using the scenic route, that the school in the Greens locks their front parking lot on weekends. 🤷🏼♂️

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 5:33 PM

Looks great!

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Looks great!

I'm really liking this. I'm glad they're doing so well and are opening up a second location and a new flagship. Hopefully this will encourage more businesses to consider the Warehouse District as a locale for restaurants, pubs, and the like.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 4:45 PM
Canadian Urbanite

A great addition - and a small pocket of activity in that area of the Warehouse District is emerging.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 9:09 PM

Have the new trees and boulevards survived the winter regarding the Victoria Avenue beautification project? I hope this project will show success to apply to other strips of the downtown road and sidewalk network.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Have the new trees and boulevards survived the winter regarding the Victoria Avenue beautification project? I hope this project will show success to apply to other strips of the downtown road and sidewalk network.
Driving by the other day, I noticed the mulch is full of sand from winter and the centre curbs took a beating from the snow-plows. I understand that we are a winter city that requires lots of snow and ice control, but good god our sidewalk/concrete infrastructure gets pulverized by the plows and salt, especially the new bigger pedestrian crossing curbs.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB14 View Post
Driving by the other day, I noticed the mulch is full of sand from winter and the centre curbs took a beating from the snow-plows. I understand that we are a winter city that requires lots of snow and ice control, but good god our sidewalk/concrete infrastructure gets pulverized by the plows and salt, especially the new bigger pedestrian crossing curbs.
Ya, I'll echo what TMB said. I was at a light on Vic Ave & Smith right by city hall, looking at the new curbs with chips out of them everywhere from the winter snow plows. Not sure that can be prevented in this winter climate city.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBean View Post
Ya, I'll echo what TMB said. I was at a light on Vic Ave & Smith right by city hall, looking at the new curbs with chips out of them everywhere from the winter snow plows. Not sure that can be prevented in this winter climate city.
Well they should be doing the curbs in steel in main areas.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 5:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Well they should be doing the curbs in steel in main areas.
Good point. It could be a way to highlight the importance of steel as being one of our most important local industries but alas, I’m not sure those in charge are thinking that deeply.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 10:36 PM

Chipped Concrete Curbs

As with anything, these things are built at the cheapest cost possible.

The easiest way to get around this, is what the City has been doing on many busy, main streets (ie: Broad Street), which is eliminating the centre boulevard altogether. This gets rid of the ugly, chipped concrete, and would make it easier for street plowing/cleaning. In doing so, they could widen the sidewalks and/or curbs a bit and perhaps add landscaping on the sides (at least more than what little bit we have now). It also aids emergency vehicles to get through during heavy traffic (remember those 15 minutes pre-covid?)

-Or-

The City could involve one of our local engineering companies to come up with a proper curb design for all major streets that would incorporate a steel plate of sufficient thickness that has a rolled edge on top, and has anchors on the back side that get imbedded in the concrete. Yes, I am well aware that the City used to do this years ago, but those too got peeled back by the strong steel blades of the snow removal equipment, however, it is my belief that these plates need to be welded together as one continuous piece. The vertical backsides at each joint should be bevelled, allowing for a stronger weld, preventing them from 'catching' on a grader blade for example. I don't even think that this was done on the earlier types. This will definitely cost more money, but in the long run, the curbs will hold up better and longer.

I'm no engineer, but as my name states, I was a draftsman (as it was called back then) working in the steel industry. I'm sure there will be negative opinions, which is fine, but I would be interested to hear others' opinions. Thanks!

Last edited by Draftsman; May 16, 2021 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Added heading

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
The easiest way to get around this, is what the City has been doing on many busy, main streets (ie: Broad Street), which is eliminating the centre boulevard altogether. This gets rid of the ugly, chipped concrete, and would make it easier for street plowing/cleaning. In doing so, they could widen the sidewalks and/or curbs a bit and perhaps add landscaping on the sides (at least more than what little bit we have now). It also aids emergency vehicles to get through during heavy traffic (remember those 15 minutes pre-covid?)
I definitely disagree with this part. Aesthetically, the boulevards are very important. The wide open boulevard-less streets are so less appealing. Additionally, they are a traffic nightmare for streets with retail/office. Cars constantly sit and block traffic as they try to make illegal left turns across the yellow lines. Happy to hear they're brining one block back of median on Albert St.

I've always wondered why the graders couldn't have a hard rubber edge to help prevent the damage to concrete. If course additional training and time could help reduce the damage.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 11:14 PM
BANNED

We could also just wait for climate change to take care of the problem for us lol.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Maybe they could use a smaller plow (like the yellow side-walk ones) along the boulevards/curbs and then use the big ones to move the snow after? I'm really not sure.

Near my place, the plows have destroyed the already old, crumbling sidewalks. Some are asphalt-covered (gross) and have had the asphalt ripped free of the underlying concrete, while others are 60 year old sidewalks that are now missing huge chucks out of them. I guess it doesn't cost the city anything if they never repair/maintain pedestrian infrastructure.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 5:26 PM

https://www.620ckrm.com/2021/05/17/c...nola-facility/

“There’s a lot of people that are pretty darn excited about Regina having the largest canola crushing plant in the world, and us becoming that amazing place for it to potentially happen,” said Shaw.

Shaw says the facility would have so many positive effects on the community.

“It’s creating 100 well-paying jobs with two years of construction, the amount of income that’s going to put into our city,” said Shaw. “The spinoff of even just that plant being built, and all the companies around supplying stuff and working, that’s some positive stuff that’s going to happen.”

In a statement from Viterra, says they’ve selected the site because it’s located in the heart of the industrial zone.

“Prior to making our announcement, we engaged closely with the City of Regina to discuss our plans for the site, and ensured it aligns with their plans to foster additional growth and economic investment in the city,” read the statement.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 12:40 AM

Quote:
In other news, lots of work happening where the new Argyle/St. Pius schools will go.
There's also a parking lot (pending council approval, I believe) that will be located on the NW corner of Lakeview Ave/Kings Rd.
I thought this was approved. Or did Planning Commission or Exec Committee recommend? I'm reasonably sure the design of the property was heavily dependant on getting that parking lot - if they couldn't get it, they'd have to allocate more of the existing Argyle property to parking... which would influence building, and green space design.

Quote:
Seeing as most of the land is provincially owned, it's really hard to say. I could see a modern version of "Lakeview Estates" (located at 22nd/Retallack) which I believe was the site of a school once upon a time.
I went to a couple of the planning/info meetings for this - I recall discussion of a land-swap: City gets St Pius property in exchange for the parking lot land. Might not have been as straightforward as that, but something similar.

EDIT: Confirmed - Regina city council agrees to trade land with province to pave way for parking lot in Kinsmen Park

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Other winter cities have implemented measures to protect curbs, tree boxes, etc from snow equipment, sanding and salting. It's do-able. But it costs money, and involves a concerted and sustained effort.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan