HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 4:45 PM
What could go wrong?

I feel they have been working on the fins almost constantly, except of course in high winds which we frequently get. They are both pretty much finished.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 4:33 AM

Someone sent me an Instagram link of a video of water pouring down hard from the ceiling in the brand new lobby of 300 Main, pouring down through every opening, lights and all.

Let the disasters begin on that shodfest of a building.

I’ll try to find the link

Edit: Here it is, you need to be (water)logged in to view

https://instagram.com/stories/winnip...d=MTI5NDc2ZGU=

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Someone sent me an Instagram link of a video of water pouring down hard from the ceiling in the brand new lobby of 300 Main, pouring down through every opening, lights and all.

Oof that’s not just any Instagram page, that’s probably the most popular ig account that young adults/teens follow here.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 2:17 PM

Yikes, hopefully damage contained to low floors only.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 4:38 PM
What could go wrong?

Either that is the Christmas tree irrigation system or a broken water pipe.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 4:50 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Oof that’s not just any Instagram page, that’s probably the most popular ig account that young adults/teens follow here.
Yeah that IG account is... yeah...

There's gonna be serious repercussions of what happened at 300 Main. They will need to tear everything down and redo it once they find the source of that water.

What a gong show.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 5:10 PM

Feel like it’s just the beginning of the woes there from the way things went on a daily basis from the GC and some of the subs there.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 6:36 PM

225 Carlton had a major water main leak after it was occupied a couple years back during a cold snap. bunch of residents had to be shuffled around as it was repaired.. there were even icicles down the sides of the building on the outside. the cold finds the poorly insulated sections of a new build quickly!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 6:45 PM

Yeah I would definitely assume it was missed spray foam on the steel decking somewhere at the edge of the wall facing Main St.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 10:46 PM

The vertical LED strips in the fins all turned a couple weeks ago. The west side is consistently on after dark, you'll see it clearly coming down from Portage Ave. Our own little CN tower. I'd assume the LED strips are colour changing as well.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 11:04 PM

I’ve only seen the west side, haven’t seen the south side on at all. Can’t recall if the Main St side has any or not, but I think it does.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post

Interestingly enough I was in one of the Tim's last week and a group of guys at the table next to me were talking about this.

From what was being said, there was a copper pipe joint on the hot water heating system that was not soldered properly and let go after a few hundred cycles of of the heat going off and on. Sounds like the mechanical contractors insurance was going to be on the hook for this one.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 1:31 PM

That’s tough. Shit happens though, some flaws are inevitable. Should be noted that Wes-Man, the mechanical contractor, had a pretty high turnover rate on that job.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 12:44 AM

Pics taken from my office across the street today. I've seen the light strips on just briefly on this side for testing on the lower half of the building. You can see the black LED strips running along all of the horizonal and vertical white fin pieces...and it appears there is a light strip running along the white roof cap.

The east side fin still only gets worked on about one day a month so I'm hoping it is finally finished in one last go in Feb. Then I would think they would light up the LEDs on this side for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando96 View Post
The vertical LED strips in the fins all turned a couple weeks ago. The west side is consistently on after dark, you'll see it clearly coming down from Portage Ave. Our own little CN tower. I'd assume the LED strips are colour changing as well.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2023, 6:07 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 10:19 PM

Scaffolding

I can't believe I lived long enough to see this day, but THE SCAFFOLDING IS GONE from the staircase leading from the Graham Ave. skywalk down to Winnipeg Square! I had just resigned myself to the fact that this was going to be a permanent fixture, and to remember to duck my head under the pipe on step 11...but it's finally gone!!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 10:24 PM

Haha, they've been working at renovating that corner of the property for 4 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarSlammerBammer View Post
I can't believe I lived long enough to see this day, but THE SCAFFOLDING IS GONE from the staircase leading from the Graham Ave. skywalk down to Winnipeg Square! I had just resigned myself to the fact that this was going to be a permanent fixture, and to remember to duck my head under the pipe on step 11...but it's finally gone!!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 10:47 PM

Speaking of the skywalk entrance, is the space in the new skywalk through 300 Main (the one that dog legs as it feeds into the lobby area) meant to have CRUs along it?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Speaking of the skywalk entrance, is the space in the new skywalk through 300 Main (the one that dog legs as it feeds into the lobby area) meant to have CRUs along it?
Yes it is. How that will take shape I’m not sure, but that was the plan according to the original drawings. Also, the second floor of the podium (above the skywalk floor where the main electrical and mechanical rooms for the tower are housed) is also supposed to eventually house rentable space, again not sure what form it will take.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 11:04 PM

Also heard that that leak that happened a while back that flooded the main lobby actually started halfway up the building and that a considerable number of suites all the way up took massive water damage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan