HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
OK, but I don't know why I'm supposed to feel better about walking down Portage Avenue and seeing nothing but vacant storefronts and hobos because supposedly Omaha might have it worse.

To Winnipegger's point earlier in the thread, what if we had built the freeway ring around downtown? Maybe our streets wouldn't be dominated by heavy car traffic the way they are? Look at Edmonton... Jasper Avenue is their Portage Avenue. The difference being that Jasper is not a major commuter route the way Portage is. Consequently it is a much more walkable street and one that attracts more businesses. It is also past its glory days like Portage, but I don't think there's any denying that it is in better shape than Portage.
I find Jasper Ave far more similar to Broadway. Jasper also benefits from the "hipster" area west of 109 Street.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 5:27 PM

It's totally fair ball to compare Portage to Jasper. Jasper is a wide street, a major thoroughfare, and like Portage, the former retail and entertainment hub that is now the spine of a downtown office district.

If you doubled the traffic on Jasper, then it would start to take on Portage's character of a downtown stroad.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 7:19 PM

Waterfront North

Waterfront North’s Galt Ave. is scheduled for an upgrade this spring. This long neglected roadway has been of concern for some time. With no sidewalk, people have been forced onto the roadway in all weather creating a dangerous situation.

The new Galt Ave.work on the north side of the avenue will include a full sidewalk and landscaping from Lily to Waterfront in the style and materials utilized on Lily. The road will be upgraded as well . Public art hopefully will be included and has been budgeted for. New pedestrian sidewalk lighting is part of the project adding to ambiance and safety.

This is an important upgrade leading to increased connectivity for pedestrians and cyclists.

Talk of an Alexander shared connectivity corridor to the Docks / Waterfront continues moving in a positive direction. RNDSQR Alexander/ Pacific project will certainly have a public sidewalk upgrade component adjacent to its street fronts.

Need some movement from FNP on leading the charge to upgrade the Alexander Docks in some modest way. A huge amount of development is progressing based on promised work. Much more will come with this park / infrastructure progressing.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 7:27 PM
surely you agree with me

^ that's good news....hopefully the eaton's warehouse gets a redevelopment some day....and hopefully the hockey rink site sees its development....the significant homeless population along the river in that location makes it a challenge.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 7:30 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Waterfront North’s Galt Ave. is scheduled for an upgrade this spring. This long neglected roadway has been of concern for some time. With no sidewalk, people have been forced onto the roadway in all weather creating a dangerous situation.

The new Galt Ave.work on the north side of the avenue will include a full sidewalk and landscaping from Lily to Waterfront in the style and materials utilized on Lily. The road will be upgraded as well . Public art hopefully will be included and has been budgeted for. New pedestrian sidewalk lighting is part of the project adding to ambiance and safety.

This is an important upgrade leading to increased connectivity for pedestrians and cyclists.

Talk of an Alexander shared connectivity corridor to the Docks / Waterfront continues moving in a positive direction. RNDSQR Alexander/ Pacific project will certainly have a public sidewalk upgrade component adjacent to its street fronts.

Need some movement from FNP on leading the charge to upgrade the Alexander Docks in some modest way. A huge amount of development is progressing based on promised work. Much more will come with this park / infrastructure progressing.
Great news, I often park there for the symphony and that is one of the worst stretches of street anywhere in winnipeg.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 7:57 PM

It's nice to see the area coming together with the various developments.

Any word on the proposal for south side of Bannatyne Ave? IIRC Number 10 was involved with.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 8:29 PM

Quote:
It's totally fair ball to compare Portage to Jasper. Jasper is a wide street, a major thoroughfare, and like Portage, the former retail and entertainment hub that is now the spine of a downtown office district.

If you doubled the traffic on Jasper, then it would start to take on Portage's character of a downtown stroad.
Trust me. I live in Edmonton.

Jasper is far more like Broadway than Portage. Jasper and Broadway are remarkably similar in the fact that they are both on the south Boundary of the CBD, divided road in downtown, and both span west into gentrification areas.

Portage is a major throughfare stretching from West of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 8:33 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's nice to see the area coming together with the various developments.

Any word on the proposal for south side of Bannatyne Ave? IIRC Number 10 was involved with.
dead...parking revenues came back.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Trust me. I live in Edmonton.
I used to live on Jasper Avenue, so I have some pretty strong opinions on this

The reason it doesn't feel like Portage despite having a similar character/role/location is precisely because it isn't asked to be a stroad semi-high speed thoroughfare like Portage. In Edmonton, 104 acts as the stroad leading to the W/NW suburbs... it would be like if Ellice was several lanes wider and took the pressure off Portage.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 8:40 PM
surely you agree with me

No two streets are exactly the same but I would say Jasper is Edmonton's Portage Avenue. They are both the traditional downtown high streets.

As Esquire says, car volumes changed Portage in a way that it didn't change Jasper.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 6:11 PM

Quote:
I used to live on Jasper Avenue, so I have some pretty strong opinions on this

The reason it doesn't feel like Portage despite having a similar character/role/location is precisely because it isn't asked to be a stroad semi-high speed thoroughfare like Portage. In Edmonton, 104 acts as the stroad leading to the W/NW suburbs... it would be like if Ellice was several lanes wider and took the pressure off Portage.
104 Ave/Stony Plan Rd is the first thing that came to my mind too, although it obviously is not the thoroughfare Portage Ave is..

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 6:43 PM

Siding going up on the Waterfront Dr side.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 11:09 PM

Cheap and ugly

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Cheap and ugly
As a Ford F150 owner, I agree that Chevy truck is!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 12:19 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Cheap and ugly
Unfortunately I think this one was rather expensive and ugly
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Unfortunately I think this one was rather expensive and ugly
$100 million lol.

Calgary developers man. Well everyone wants to move to Calgary but this is what a lot of design looks like over there. Even the Refinery District by Plaza Station isn’t the most eye pleasing group of buildings (again spearheaded by Calgary developers).

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 2:57 PM

I don't know, I think it's too early to write off the aesthetics of this project yet. Just the scale and massing is awesome, the design details might be good too.

On another note, it's been pretty quiet on the St. Charles front lately. Any news there? Has the owner had any luck shaking the trees for free money to fix up his neglected property?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 3:03 PM

Yeah, I’m going to reserve judgment, it might turn out. When I zoom in on the first picture, I like the way the siding locks together. It doesn’t look as cheap as a lot of the siding in winnipeg. The second picture is a bit concerning, that is a lot of siding. As usual, I think this would look better if there was a bit more window coverage and a bit less siding.

We will see, I’m still a fan of this project. I just checked it out on the satellite view on google maps and its size is impressive.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 9:35 PM
surely you agree with me

i think that siding is cool. It's definitely the pinnacle of black metal siding.

the whole building is great IMHO.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
rather expensive and ugly
A registered trademark of 546 Architecture, all rights reserved

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan