HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 8:47 PM
International

these are some quality developments. good going, a2!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 6:44 PM
Detroiter4life

University of Michigan to close 571-student North Campus dormitory

Quote:
According to a report in The Michigan Daily, Baits 1 will close after this year due to an estimated $6 million in necessary repairs -and the fact that the 1960s-era building is otherwise outdated.

The news comes as U-M completes renovations to Alice Lloyd Residence Hall, following a series of renovations to Hill-area dorms; plans a project at East Quad; and just opened North Quad in fall 2010. Residence hall upgrades are projected to cost $440 million.
http://www.annarbor.com/news/u-m-to-...pus-dormitory/

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 7:05 PM

U of M is really trying to make all their buildings state of the art for Wow factor. There is really nothing wrong with Baits housing. A decent upgrade could certainly make these buildings last for decades to come, but with all the luxury student housing and renovated dorms on central campus, they just can't compete with that living experience.

It will be interesting to see if they go with a replace or renovate option. I'm guessing they will be replaced. As some of the comments mention, it's extremely isolating for some students and I knew a lot of people who hated the seclusion.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 4:01 AM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
As some of the comments mention, it's extremely isolating for some students and I knew a lot of people who hated the seclusion.
When I was a student, I lived in the nearby Bursley dorm for a year and while it might not have been as bad as Bates since it was larger and full of more lively undergraduates, it was still a pain to have to get down to main campus for any social activities (at least the UofM bus was free).
In general it does seem that UofM is going much more upscale than it was in the 1980s.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 4:06 AM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Zaragon West Update

The shell of Zaragon West is complete and about half of the facade brickwork has been laid.

Photo credits: Me on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 6:03 AM

It makes a surprising impact on the skyline.

Last edited by uaarkson; Nov 9, 2011 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 1:44 PM
Registered Ugly

Nice building.

One day I hope Lansing will fill in downtown and along Michigan Avenue as much as Ann Arbor has.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 1:49 PM
Registered Ugly

PS, there's a nice photo of the building over at Ann Arbor Real Estate:

http://www.annarborrealestatewatch.c...-in-ann-arbor/

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 6:45 PM

Good updates on projects, and in the link I saw the Varsity was recently approved. Ann Arbor is growing up! I just hope this will motivate rental property owners in the neighborhoods to fix up there properties.

Maybe I'm used to the very strict enforcement on property appearance in Chicago, but I was disappointed on a return trip to Ann Arbor to see how ragged and run-down the student neighborhoods looked....more so than I remember. Weedy grass, pealing paint, garbage on front lawns. The city needs to start handing out citations to those property owners charging $800+ rent /month. But downtown, State Street, South U all looked great.

Oh and here's some photos of the recent dorm renovations.
http://ww.annarbor.com/news/u-m-residence-hall/

I believe the last renovation was sometime in the mid 90's. After 15 years, CZ was due for an update.

I had a hard time placing where the new rooms were. The grand stair appears to begin at the top (ground level) where the administrative offices were, and end (basement) where you once entered the serving line to go into the cafeteria.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 3:43 AM
Art Deco Enthusiast

601 Forest Construction Update

While 601 Forest was scaled back from its original 23 story plan, it is nevertheless beginning to loom over nearby structures (except for University Towers of course). Even with its smaller design, it will house more students that Zaragon and Zaragon West combined. A real estate office for the building is open in the Michigan Theater Building.

Photo credit: DecoJim, flickr

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 12:47 PM
Detroiter4life

Plans, rendering revealed for 6-story apartment building proposed for downtown Ann Arbor

Quote:
After meeting with members of the community for feedback on the project earlier this month and submitting preliminary design plans to the city's Design Review Board, site plans have now been submitted to the Ann Arbor Planning Commission.

The plans show a six-story, 140,000-square-foot building on approximately one acre of land situated between Main Street and Ashley Street, bordering Mosley Street. The proposed building has studios, one-bedroom, two-bedroom, duplex and penthouse units. It also includes 138 underground parking spaces.

Young professionals ages 25 to 35 are the target demographic for 618 South Main’s nearly 200 apartment units, according to the plans.

It could also attract “empty-nesters wanting to live close to town.”

The developer is Dan Ketelaar of Ann Arbor-based Urban Group Development Co. The architect is Mike Siegel of Chicago-based VOA Architects.
http://www.annarbor.com/business-rev...s-suggestions/

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 3:38 PM
Registered Ugly

For a poor economy, A2 just keeps going and going...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 5:46 PM
Honored Member

That's the thing. Ann Arbor isn't experiencing a poor economy.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
For a poor economy, A2 just keeps going and going...
This is actually the type of property a poor economy generates. Rental. And luxury rentals are in very high demand as less people become homeowners but demand a higher level of service and amenities.

My only question is Ann Arbor's rental occupancy percentage. I'm very curious as to what it is with all the new construction. Nationwide it's something like 92% with major US downtown and core areas reporting numbers in the 94-98% range. That's not alot of available inventory. And the shortage may even be more severe when you take into account condos going rental. We can't build these fast enough.

Last edited by Rizzo; Dec 2, 2011 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 2:28 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
This is actually the type of property a poor economy generates. Rental. And luxury rentals are in very high demand as less people become homeowners but demand a higher level of service and amenities.

My only question is Ann Arbor's rental occupancy percentage. I'm very curious as to what it is with all the new construction. Nationwide it's something like 92% with major US downtown and core areas reporting numbers in the 94-98% range. That's not alot of available inventory. And the shortage may even be more severe when you take into account condos going rental. We can't build these fast enough.
This is what I keep telling my employer. We keep building and rehabbing houses and I'm trying to get small scale rental (under 12 units, townhouses and such) back into our portfolio. There's so much potential to densify our corridors in Michigan right now.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
This is what I keep telling my employer. We keep building and rehabbing houses and I'm trying to get small scale rental (under 12 units, townhouses and such) back into our portfolio. There's so much potential to densify our corridors in Michigan right now.
Yeah, I think Detroit has the potential for a big windfall of new rentals. You have the prospect of light rail on Woodward, new business openings, and living incentives that have stimulated demand for more apartments. While many cities in Michigan have some empty inventory, it's not necessarily modern inventory....exactly the reason well off students or young professionals are snatching up these rental lofts and apartments in new buildings all over A2.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 3:03 AM

Completely missed this. Appears the Varsity was approved and will begin construction soon
All images from Annarbor.com
http://annarbor.com/news/13-story-do...ssion-meeting/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 12:03 AM
Detroiter4life

Developer proposes new 224-unit student housing project for Grace Bible Church site in Ann Arbor

Quote:
Three months after the 42 North site plan expired, a development company is proposing a new 224-apartment student housing project for property owned by Grace Bible Church on Ann Arbor's west side.
The 15-acre site is located off South Maple Road near Pauline Boulevard.

The controversial 42 North project - a five building, 120-unit apartment compound with 494 parking spaces - was approved by City Council in a 7-4 vote in 2008.
http://www.annarbor.com/business-rev...-in-ann-arbor/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 4:28 AM

I have nothing to say about the project other than this would be a lame place to live due to the location.

Last edited by Rizzo; Jan 16, 2012 at 6:29 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 7:01 PM
Detroiter4life

618 South Main apartment project approved by Ann Arbor Planning Commission

http://www.annarbor.com/neighborhood...ng-commission/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest