HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 2:40 AM

And yet someone is prepared to pay the Westons $5 billion for Selfridges....

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 12:53 PM

Interesting article. If you go back 15 years or so, I seem to recall there was a sense of optimism surrounding downtown department stores... even though Eaton's had recently gone under, the feeling was that with urban renaissances happening in downtowns across the country, together with increased consumer spending, it would be enough to breathe new life into the big Bay stores and other major downtown retailers.

Here we are in 2021 and it seems that the momentum is gone... we are now slowly but surely following in the footsteps of US cities which have seen a pretty steady decline in downtown department stores. At the rate things are going, there might not be much left in another 5 years.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting article. If you go back 15 years or so, I seem to recall there was a sense of optimism surrounding downtown department stores... even though Eaton's had recently gone under, the feeling was that with urban renaissances happening in downtowns across the country, together with increased consumer spending, it would be enough to breathe new life into the big Bay stores and other major downtown retailers.

Here we are in 2021 and it seems that the momentum is gone... we are now slowly but surely following in the footsteps of US cities which have seen a pretty steady decline in downtown department stores. At the rate things are going, there might not be much left in another 5 years.
I think the issue is more the section of the market Hudson's Bay occupies. It's an upscale Sears and that market has been retrenching for twenty years in North America.

In North America, the market has split into smaller upscale retailers and downmarket mass retailers, none of which are really suited to the downtown giant department store format.

In our largest cities, those buildings will be repurposed. The sad losses will be ones like Winnipeg where a large building of that era is stuck in no-man's land. It's too large and too awkward a floor plan to do much else with and downtown in still undesirable enough that it's too much of a gamble to rehab into something else.

To your main point, I do think downtowns in our mid-sized cities do have some potential. It just won't be potential of that scale, sadly.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 1:52 PM

I agree, HBC has always been an expensive Sears. You walk in, and it's the same tired, worn-out look, but with a premium price. The renovations of some of the flagships were pretty limited, and so did little to enhance the experience.

I hope the likes of Simons, which has a hipper, modern feel, will continue to do well. Same with Nordstrom, which took a slow and cautious approach coming into Canada.

HBC would need a significant shift in order to become viable again. This new plan of downsizing flagships in exchange for built-in mixed-use might help. Shutting down underperforming suburban stores and downsizing others to only sell what actually sells, would be a good step as well.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
I think the issue is more the section of the market Hudson's Bay occupies. It's an upscale Sears and that market has been retrenching for twenty years in North America.

In North America, the market has split into smaller upscale retailers and downmarket mass retailers, none of which are really suited to the downtown giant department store format.

In our largest cities, those buildings will be repurposed. The sad losses will be ones like Winnipeg where a large building of that era is stuck in no-man's land. It's too large and too awkward a floor plan to do much else with and downtown in still undesirable enough that it's too much of a gamble to rehab into something else.

To your main point, I do think downtowns in our mid-sized cities do have some potential. It just won't be potential of that scale, sadly.
Just to clarify, I wasn't writing off downtowns altogether... just big department stores. That business model seems to be in terminal decline, although the biggest cities (Toronto, Montreal) and the ones with big-spending tourists (Vancouver) can probably stave off dramatic floorspace reductions or closures for a while longer.

As far as The Bay's market position, do you really think that's the issue? It's doesn't look like business is booming at the higher-end department store level... a couple of Holt Renfrew stores have expanded but they've also departed several markets altogether, and other than a few mid-upper end Nordstrom's stores there haven't really been any big new players added to that market.

The Winnipeg store is a bit of a coin toss... something will happen eventually with that site, it's too prominent to be left in its current state for long. But whether it will involve redevelopment of the existing building or demolition is hard to say... it could go either way. The even bigger Eaton's store was a treasured heritage asset until True North wanted to demolish it for a rink... everyone moved on in a hurry. The same could happen with The Bay if no project involving reuse of the store materializes soon.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 7:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

ROCer restaurant chain Milestones has been bought by the Quebec owners of various other restaurant brands.

They're promising to open 12 Milestones in Quebec, from Gatineau to Quebec City. By way of Montreal, I am sure.

So, do we have anything to look forward to?

I think they're in Ottawa, though I don't think I've ever been.

I always mix them up with Moxies.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
ROCer restaurant chain Milestones has been bought by the Quebec owners of various other restaurant brands.

They're promising to open 12 Milestones in Quebec, from Gatineau to Quebec City. By way of Montreal, I am sure.

Millstones is a brand in the Recipe group. The same people who own Swiss Chalet, St. Hubert, Harvey's, Montana's, The Keg, Original Joes, State Main, Elephant Castle, East Side Marios, Pickle Barrel, and probably a few others.

They have their restaurants sprinkled across the country.

In western Canada you are more likely to find Millstones and State & Main, The Keg, and Montana's etc. Back east things like Swiss Chalet, St. Hubert, and Harvey's.

They evolved out of the company that had its start doing the catering for railways, then Air Canada. At some point they got out of that and switched to restaurants.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 8:09 PM

When it comes to chain restaurants, they're all the same. O.K. but nothing special. Often a bit pricey for what you get. Decent night out anyway, but without the warm fuzzy feeling of going to a local place.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 8:16 PM
sick transit, gloria

The Milestones in Ottawa is in the base of that condo at Rideau and Sussex next to the Chateau Laurier. It's a "high-end" chain but really not that dissimilar from Moxies after their last rebrand. Decent enough food/drinks but you can usually get more for less from an independent restaurant. Downtown locations probably make (well, made) a killing from work related functions, and suburban ones are convenient for those not wanting to drive to a central area.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 8:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
The Milestones in Ottawa is in the base of that condo at Rideau and Sussex next to the Chateau Laurier. It's a "high-end" chain but really not that dissimilar from Moxies after their last rebrand. Decent enough food/drinks but you can usually get more for less from an independent restaurant. Downtown locations probably make (well, made) a killing from work related functions, and suburban ones are convenient for those not wanting to drive to a central area.
I identify that building with the Metropolitain Brasserie, though I don't know if that's been replaced by Milestones, or if they're both there.

I go by there every once in a while, but I can't say I pay attention to the restaurants on the ground floor. It's not a place where I'd go out to dine or even for drinks.

I was last at the Metropolitain about 10 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 9:40 PM

Quote:

It's terrible. Right up there with Moxies and Montana's for bland, suburban, pedestrian food.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Millstones is a brand in the Recipe group. The same people who own Swiss Chalet, St. Hubert, Harvey's, Montana's, The Keg, Original Joes, State Main, Elephant Castle, East Side Marios, Pickle Barrel, and probably a few others.

They have their restaurants sprinkled across the country.

In western Canada you are more likely to find Millstones and State & Main, The Keg, and Montana's etc. Back east things like Swiss Chalet, St. Hubert, and Harvey's.

They evolved out of the company that had its start doing the catering for railways, then Air Canada. At some point they got out of that and switched to restaurants.
Milestones has disappeared from Vancouver. Tired brand.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 9:48 PM

Milestones seems to be a half notch higher/better than Boston Pizza so at least a few people here would be excited to have one lol.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 10:15 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
There are 5 Milestones in Ottawa of which that downtown location is one.

As you say, Milestones is similar to Moxies and has decent food and drink. The restaurants are attractive inside and out. The staff is always of a high visual standard. They’re good for larger group functions and the bar areas are hopping at the times you expect them to be.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I identify that building with the Metropolitain Brasserie, though I don't know if that's been replaced by Milestones, or if they're both there.

I go by there every once in a while, but I can't say I pay attention to the restaurants on the ground floor. It's not a place where I'd go out to dine or even for drinks.

I was last at the Metropolitain about 10 years ago.
Milestones is on the second level on Mackenzie and Metropolitain is directly below on the first level with a sunken patio on the corner of Rideau and Sussex.

Metropolitain over Milestones any day.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 1:05 AM

Quote:

you will continue to mix them up with moxies, not that different. Food is ok, nothing mind blowing.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
you will continue to mix them up with moxies, not that different. Food is ok, nothing mind blowing.
And Malone's where available.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 4:52 AM

My wife likes going to Milestones when we're in Sudbury. I'm okay with it but I actually prefer the Goodfood meals we have at home.

A chain I tried a couple of months ago for the first time was Chuck's Roadhouse in Kapuskasing. I believe all Chuck's locations are in Ontario. While it's certainly not very fancy, the food actually tasted pretty good. It's the prices that really got my attention. Very inexpensive steak dinners and beer. I got for takeout a top sirloin and lobster tail meal for $25.00 which really exceeded my expectations. I don't think that any other restaurant chain in Ontario with as low prices for beer and cocktails.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 2:59 PM
ハルウララ

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/podc...shion-on-fire/

How Shein’s low prices are setting fast fashion on fire

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/225736...hion-explained

Shein is the future of fast fashion. Is that a good thing?

The Chinese retailer is quickly becoming one of Gen Z’s favorite fashion brands, for its low prices and savvy social media use.

Shein’s ubiquity, most notably on TikTok, has catapulted the retailer to cult status among young women across the globe. And while Shein is based out of China, it ships to 220 countries, with the US serving as its largest consumer market. In June, Shein overtook Amazon for the first time on the iOS App Store to become the leading US shopping app, a title it holds in over 50 countries. This comes after a pandemic year of record-breaking sales: Shein raked in close to $10 billion in 2020, which was reportedly its eighth consecutive year of revenue growth over 100 percent. The retailer is also one of the most talked-about brands on TikTok and YouTube, and the most visited fashion and apparel site in the world, according to the web analytics platform Similarweb. Shein had enough in its coffers to place a bid to buy Topshop in January, which it ultimately lost to Asos.

Yet Shein’s emergence as a fast fashion juggernaut can’t solely be attributed to the price of its clothing or its ubiquitous internet presence. The retailer is also nowhere to be found in the physical world — at least not in brick-and-mortar stores, although it has previously hosted in-person pop-up events. Shein appeared to have sprung out of thin air into the mainstream, unlike fast fashion’s old guards, whose spacious, brightly lit stores were proof of their dominance. Yet, Shein is so far ahead of competitors like H&M, Zara, and Asos, according to an analysis by Apptopia, that it’s difficult to compare them.

And despite Shein’s popularity, the company remains largely unknown among Chinese consumers. The Chinese apparel market is extremely competitive, and Shein’s priority from the beginning has been to export goods abroad. The retailer has also benefited from deteriorating trade relations between China and the US. China began waiving export taxes for direct-to-consumer companies in 2018 after the US imposed more tariffs, Bloomberg reported. Since Shein ships its orders directly to customers from Chinese warehouses, packages worth less than $800, or small-value shipments, generally remain duty-free. In other words, Shein has managed to circumvent paying both export and import taxes for about three years, something brick-and-mortar retailers aren’t able to avoid.

---

Just as relevant for Canada as it is for the US in this Vox article as this seems to represent a shift in both fast fashion and how clothing is distributed (direct to consumer with no brick & mortar locations). Fast fashion isn't anything new but Shein is different in that it's a Chinese-led company that owns the supply chain its manufacturing on (or worse case, directly working with them), meaning it doesn't have to go through third-party distributors or factories like non-Chinese companies do to get clothing shipped, and because of that can alter and tailor their supplies almost immediately, whereas overseas companies only get one or two chances a year to make shipment orders. Essentially faster fashion.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 3:58 PM
Community Guy

40 years ago today West Edmonton Mall opened!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6HjiWFR_Qk

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada