HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 10:07 PM
Engineer

[QUOTE=Ironweed;9306990]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
There's an RDA meeting today at 2:00pm with some items that might be of interest to us. First of all, there will be an update on the 650 Main TRAX station. Second, it sounds like the RDA is in talks with the U to create an "Innovation District" at Station Center. They also still consider the Rio Grande Depot as a "barrier to development" that will "require more active programming."

More details here. Apparently the U is already under contract to purchase land:

It appears also that UTA is building their new maintenance facility to the west. A large prefabbed concrete wall has gone up west of the railroad tracks.

I assume that this will allow UTA to consolidate their facilities, and will free up the land they are currently using on the NW corner of 200 S.

Hatman's design for this area would be the preferred vision in my opinion.
I’m not on board with 4-5 story buildings that look like everything being built west of the gateway. Frankly, it looks ugly and way scaled down from what it should be. Cool that the university of Utah is involved with those southern parcels though.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 1:04 AM
One Thing At A Time

The fact that the Save The Pantages guy’s “hunger strike” lasted 15 hours makes me laugh uncontrollably. Clearly this guy is just starved for attention.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Nice photo of 6th+Main from MVE's facebook page, posted on May 26:

This angle is going to look fantastic when we get the new PEG Tower and the Sundial added in! I hope they come up with something really nice soon than later for that opposite west side of Main.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 2:11 AM

[QUOTE=airhero;9308157]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post

I’m not on board with 4-5 story buildings that look like everything being built west of the gateway. Frankly, it looks ugly and way scaled down from what it should be. Cool that the university of Utah is involved with those southern parcels though.
Agreed. It should at least be the 7 to 11 floors we get in Sugar House.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 6:03 AM

Yeah Station Center being nothing but 4+1 would be one of the biggest disappointments I could imagine.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 12:31 PM

I haven't heard anything for a while about the Post House District. How is that coming along, and is it enough progress to be worth a few photos if anyone is passing by?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I haven't heard anything for a while about the Post House District. How is that coming along, and is it enough progress to be worth a few photos if anyone is passing by?
I went by Post District the other day and looks like all the foundation work is nearing completion and some parts have started wood framing. I'll snag a couple pics this weekend.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 2:01 PM

Thanks PopPunk, very much appreciated.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 5:17 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Yeah Station Center being nothing but 4+1 would be one of the biggest disappointments I could imagine.
I agree with the height issue. More height than advertised would be great.

I think the Hatman's idea of opening up that area is superb, consolidating and burying the track, and eliminating the ugly overpasses.

Didn't know that his plan had height limitations.

By the way, does anyone know how to get rid of the Geneva Rock plant? It has served its usefulness with the reconstruction of I-15. It does not fit the area.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 6:03 PM
Space Magi

Height restrictions in the Depot District are an ongoing issue that's (theoretically) being addressed by the City Council. They've really been kicking the can down the road about it though and it doesn't seem like they're going to address it again soon, which is frustrating. I think they will tackle parking minimums first (sometime this year).

We've already lost one potential tech company presence in the Depot District, at least partially because of the height limits. Here's what Galileo wanted to build at the southeast corner of 300 S and 600 W, for those who haven't seen it before:

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 7:08 PM

Quote:

By the way, does anyone know how to get rid of the Geneva Rock plant? It has served its usefulness with the reconstruction of I-15. It does not fit the area.
? Geneva Rock has been there LONG before the reconstruction of I-15 and there are still a ton of road projects and construction that will rely on the materials they are providing.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 8:14 PM
Space Magi

The Downtown Alliance has a new page up for the Worthington Tower (aka 200 E 300 S). The rendering is one we have seen but I think the text is new. Groundbreaking is listed as Summer 2021.

https://www.downtownslc.org/building...36-200-e-300-s
Quote:
A development joint venture between Convexity Properties, Timberlane Partners and High Boy Ventures, is excited to announce a 31-story high-rise luxury apartment building in downtown Salt Lake City on the corner of Broadway (300 south) and 200 East.

“This high-rise will set a new standard in Salt Lake City and the Mountain West for luxury housing,” said Max Coreth, founder of High Boy Ventures. “It’s more than 15,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor amenity space will include panoramic rooftop views, a pool on the 12th floor, a state of the art gym, and generous amounts of open space for gathering.” This building will be a catalyst for the growing retail scene on Broadway and will provide the type of design that will match and bolster Salt Lake City’s reputation as a region known for its innovative startups. “There couldn’t be a better setting for this building. With access to world-class recreation like Utah’s Mighty Five National Parks and the best snow on earth, this tower will be in the top echelon of luxury apartment towers in the country,” said Dave Enslow, Principal at Timberlane Partners. Construction is set to begin this summer.
They also have a page for Astra but the height is incorrectly listed as 400 ft. I think that's a typo because it still says it will be 39 stories. Groundbreaking is listed as Q4 2021.

https://www.downtownslc.org/building...45-astra-tower
Quote:
The Astra Tower at nearly 680,000 square feet and 39 floors of luxury apartments, communal amenities and private parking, the new downtown icon will exceed 400 feet in height will contribute to the downtown skyline. The program includes 377 studios, one, two- and three-bedroom apartments crowned with two levels of exclusive penthouse units. The residential program will have over 40,000 square feet of communal amenities on three different floors. Amenities will include an elevated urban park on top of the seven-level parking structure, a full-service fitness center with a separate multipurpose studio and a club house with chef kitchen. A mezzanine work lounge with conference rooms will be located on level nine. Level 22 will feature an outdoor pool and terrace adjacent to a spa and wellness center with lockers and private treatment rooms. The penthouse residents will have access to an exclusive sky lounge located on level 39 with a private demo kitchen and entertainment room. The amenity program will be topped with a 4,000 square foot roof terrace that will provide panoramic views of the Salt Lake valley and Wasatch Front to all residents. The extensive amenity program will be complemented with an unparalleled service support that will include 24-hour concierge service, package delivery, dry cleaning services, pet spas and other services that will make the urban living experience uniquely luxurious and convenient. The project will seek LEED Gold Certification.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 12:35 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
? Geneva Rock has been there LONG before the reconstruction of I-15 and there are still a ton of road projects and construction that will rely on the materials they are providing.
People may disagree but I love those older industrial silos off I-15 (along with the Fear Factory one and Mountain Cement). I think they add a level of character to the city.

I don't understand the fascination with everything being new and sterile. Sometimes, a bit of grit is my vibe.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 8:25 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
People may disagree but I love those older industrial silos off I-15 (along with the Fear Factory one and Mountain Cement). I think they add a level of character to the city.

I don't understand the fascination with everything being new and sterile. Sometimes, a bit of grit is my vibe.
You have a point. Chicago for example has gentrified to the extent that you can no longer identify any of its industrial past. That said Comrade, you can have either the Geneva plant or the spook alley down the road. Which one do you pick? (Something tells me the spook alley.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 9:52 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
You have a point. Chicago for example has gentrified to the extent that you can no longer identify any of its industrial past. That said Comrade, you can have either the Geneva plant or the spook alley down the road. Which one do you pick? (Something tells me the spook alley.
I don't know, my man. That's a hard one. I do like how cool Fear Factory looks from the freeway - as it's pretty unique to have that graffiti so prominent there. But Geneva has a more practical use and is legit industrial. None of 'em beat Mountain Cement, tho!

It's so dang cool.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 2:00 AM
dtwn_living

Hey everyone, I've been following the thread for a while and keep thinking about posting photos but haven't yet. I figure I might as well with everything happening and what is coming. I live downtown and can take some great pics of new projects from my patio or when I'm walking around town. If anyone wants to see anything, I'll try and grab photos while I am out and about.

95 S & Liberty Sky from the Astra site

95 S from South Temple

CCH from my patio

CCH at night

CCH crains got taller over the weekend

The roof of Liberty Sky is topped out

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post

I like industrial areas if they are actually maintained by the city and the property owners. Normally the roads and sidewalks are awful and the properties are covered in weeds with rusted and broken fences.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 3:25 AM
Space Magi

Nice photos, BretUtah! You have a nice view! Welcome to the forum!

Pickard Chilton has now added the Sundial Tower to their website:
https://www.pickardchilton.com/work/477-south-main

Last edited by Atlas; Jun 13, 2021 at 2:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 8:38 PM

Here is the Post District. Mostly doing foundation work, but some framing has started.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 4:07 AM

No, I haven't chained myself to any buildings (to whoever was asking).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West