HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 11:54 PM
you know where I'll be

^ How big is JAHN? My perception - and I could very well be wrong - is that it is not that large a firm at all, and much smaller than its reputation and truly larger-than-life eponym.

Of course all or most firms would have succession plans in-place. But small(ish) firms/studios that are really driven by a dominant creative and business leader sometimes don't go on for much longer. Note I'm not making any sort of prediction here and I do not know many details of JAHN's operation, culture and various dynamics (I'm sure some here do). It strikes me as a reasonable question though.

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; May 11, 2021 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 1:19 AM
Urbane observer

from the May 10 Tribune:

it was not until 2012 that what had become Murphy/Jahn in 1981 became just Jahn. By then, Jahn already had begun plans to eventually hand the reins, and the custody of his legacy, to his longtime protege, Francisco Gonzalez-Pulido.

from the May 11 Tribune:

Time Equities chairman and CEO Francis Greenburger described Jahn as “clearly one of the great architects of his time.”

“He will be greatly missed but we look forward to carrying his legacy forward with the completion of 1000M,” Greenburger said in an email. “As part of his legacy he has left behind a very talented team of associates, including Philip Castillo, who we look forward to continuing our close association of many years.”

To be honest, I never got the impression that Jahn himself was particularly involved in this project beyond nodding approval at the basic form. I don't believe he appeared at any of the public meetings—even Landmarks Commission.

This project is pretty much solely in the hands of Ald. King right now, as she has to assent to the PD amendment, and she's said she'll decide this week. Were I betting . . . I'd bet this doesn't get built.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; May 11, 2021 at 2:58 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 4:41 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Thanks. Not that it impacts the broader point re succession planning, but apparently Gonzalez-Pulido departed to start his own firm a few years ago:

https://fgp-atelier.com/works#a

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jahn wasn't heavily involved. He was though at least at one of the public meetings - BVic snapped a photo.

Eagerly awaiting King's edict. My bet is that if it doesn't get built, it's not because of a King decision - just gut but I think they might be able to get a revised version that lops off 50 or 100 units but still makes market sense past her if she says too many units. I think it's because this developer might not pull financing off (though that's not my prediction - I think they could just not highly confident in that). I still think they should JV with a very experienced large apartment player - there's got to be a deal to be had there. I would be very confident if they were to strike such a deal.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
from the May 10 Tribune:

it was not until 2012 that what had become Murphy/Jahn in 1981 became just Jahn. By then, Jahn already had begun plans to eventually hand the reins, and the custody of his legacy, to his longtime protege, Francisco Gonzalez-Pulido.

from the May 11 Tribune:

Time Equities chairman and CEO Francis Greenburger described Jahn as “clearly one of the great architects of his time.”

“He will be greatly missed but we look forward to carrying his legacy forward with the completion of 1000M,” Greenburger said in an email. “As part of his legacy he has left behind a very talented team of associates, including Philip Castillo, who we look forward to continuing our close association of many years.”

To be honest, I never got the impression that Jahn himself was particularly involved in this project beyond nodding approval at the basic form. I don't believe he appeared at any of the public meetings—even Landmarks Commission.

This project is pretty much solely in the hands of Ald. King right now, as she has to assent to the PD amendment, and she's said she'll decide this week. Were I betting . . . I'd bet this doesn't get built.

He was at the public meeting hosted by the South Loop Planning Board back in February 2016 held at the Hilton.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 6:45 AM

On the June plan commission...

A proposed amendment to Residential Business Planned Development 1323, submitted by 1000 South Michigan Equities LLC, for the property generally located at 920-1006 S. Michigan Ave. and 1011-1015 S. Wabash Ave. The applicant proposes to amend Planned Development 1323 to add 232 dwelling units to Subarea A. Subarea A improvements will consist of a 73-story, 805’ tall residential building containing 738 dwelling units and 320 accessory parking spaces and 3 loading berths. Existing Subarea B improvements include a 102’ tall office building with 1 loading berth. No changes to Subarea B of the planned development are proposed. A 0.5 FAR (Floor Area Ratio) bonus will be taken and the overall FAR of the planned development will be 21.22. The Chicago Plan Commission granted Lake Michigan and Chicago Lakefront Ordinance approval of the project on April 21, 2016, therefore an exemption from the Lakefront Ordinance pursuant to Section 16-4-150 has been approved by the Zoning Administrator for the proposed amendment.

So, we'll see...

Thank goodness recommendations of following the outdated South Loop Community Plan (425') were disregarded.

Last edited by BVictor1; May 29, 2021 at 6:57 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 1:16 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Urbanize Chicago article about the project getting added to the June planning commission agenda:

Quote:
Stalled South Loop skyscraper designed by Helmut Jahn advances
1000M will head to the Chicago Plan Commission on June 17

A stalled South Loop skyscraper designed by the late Chicago starchitect Helmut Jahn appears to be on track to eventually restart construction at 1000 S. Michigan Avenue.

The 73-story development, dubbed 1000M, is listed on the agenda of the June 17 meeting of the Chicago Plan Commission. The commissioners will need to approve changes to the estimated $470 million project which include a switch from 506 condominiums to 738 rental apartments, a decrease in parking from 440 to 320 spaces, and a slight reduction in building height from 831 to 805 feet.

New York-based developers Time Equities, JK Equities, and Oak Capitals broke ground across from Grant Park in late 2019, and crews managed to complete substantial foundation work before construction halted in summer 2020 amid sluggish condo sales and a loss of financing during the pandemic. The team hopes the changes will get the beleaguered skyscraper back on track.
full article: https://urbanize.city/chicago/post/1...n-construction

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 2:44 AM
1st Ward

Would love to finally have this begin construction. 738 apartments is an absolutely massive amount. It will really help energize South Michigan and the southern end of Grant Park.

I've always had reservations about the design, but $%&# it. This may be one of the last towers to rise that were designed by Jahn. Build it exactly as designed!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 3:19 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Isn't she the one persecuting wig shops or something like that elsewhere in her ward?
Are you thinking of the Notorious PDT in Bridgeport?

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...s-for-halsted/

I'm so happy that clown got indicted. Hopefully this clears the way for a ward remap and an Asian alderman.

King did try to ban house museums, though. God forbid we promote the cultural history of people like Muddy Waters, Emmett Till, etc.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 4:28 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ No retail whatsoever?

Now if Ald. King does enforce some sort of change, I hope that's what it is. I mean give me 300 sq ft of some shop or service!
Perhaps a memorial bike shop...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 1:26 PM

A LinkedIn post showing what I saw on my run this morning: the construction banner at 1000M now has an In Memoriam tribute to Helmut Jahn. For some reason, this makes me confident that this will actually resume and get built.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 1:40 PM
The City

^ I don’t think I would interpret it quite that way

But it would be nice

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 3:58 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I interpret it as a semi-sincere tribute and just as much a marketing opportunity to make an appeal to potential investors/buyers to live in one of Jahn's last buildings to ever be constructed in order to get this building up and running again.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 11:53 PM

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...4ty-story.html

Revised plans for the 1000M residential tower were approved Thursday by the Chicago Plan Commission.

If approved soon by the City Council, as expected, construction of the 73-story project could restart as soon as this fall, according to the developers. Work on the building stopped more than a year ago.

At the latest, resumption of construction is expected by next spring, Time Equities Chairman and CEO Francis Greenburger said in emailed statement. The statement did not provide details about financing.

The zoning change requested would allow Time Equities, JK Equities and Oak Capitals to shift the building at 1000 S. Michigan Ave. to apartments, from condominiums.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 1:51 PM

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 12:08 PM

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelacey45 View Post
Groundbreaking Expected This Fall For 1000M As City Council Approves Updated Plan In South Loop
Groundbreaking already happened in Jan 2017, which was why this thread was moved here from the Proposals sub-forum.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 2:05 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Groundbreaking already happened in Jan 2017, which was why this thread was moved here from the Proposals sub-forum.
It's clearly just poor reporting; I mean, all anyone had to do was to see the photos that have been posted in this very same forum thread to know that piles were in place a long time ago lol

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 6:03 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Nice little model at the Jahn exhibit at the CAC:

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 9:04 PM

How does this effect the project at this location if at all?

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...tcy-protection

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 9:27 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
How does this effect the project at this location if at all?

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...tcy-protection
That's sad, though I can only read the title due to the subscription requirement. Isn't Jahn's work done though since the building is already designed? (i.e. construction and selling condos is separate from the architectural firm)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction