HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 3:58 AM

This is like the 4th iteration of the Beury building I’ve seen. I want it to happen but I’m very skeptical.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 8:08 AM

I think the use of the beauty building keeps changing. I think it was first proposed as senior housing, then a hotel, but the annex design looks consistent. It's kind of interesting because depending on the material, it looks a bit mid century in design. And re: the gap, I think they're trying to maintain the windows on the north side of the beury building, which is why it doesn't meet up.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 3:33 PM

Cursed page of the low rise thread.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 4:30 PM
Show me the blueprints

I used to find it terrifying due to being raised in very religious home, but now I realize it's just a number.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 2:51 PM
Philly Pholly

Apartments, commercial space proposed for Passyunk firehouse site
Alterra Property Group wants to build hundreds of apartments and create new commercial spaces on one of the last major underdeveloped parcels in the booming Passyunk Square neighborhood.
"Solving the eternal parking problem
Alterra would build 3 private parking spots for every 10 new housing units, and no new public parking. But at Squilla’s insistence, a city-owned lot across Reed Street that is used for storing city vehicles will be turned into a residential permit lot for at least 60 cars, the councilman said. Parking would be free for residents with city-issued permits."

Wharton Street

https://whyy.org/articles/apartments...irehouse-site/

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 2:54 PM
Philly Pholly

Philly neighborhoods need more trees. A new city initiative takes on the problem.

https://whyy.org/articles/philly-nei...n-the-problem/

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 3:25 PM

At some point in the near future (probably this weekend), I'm going to take pics of all the development occurring along Ridge Avenue. Instead of showcasing everything between Broad and Girard, I want to do everything between Callowhill and Cecil B. Moore. Between Callowhill and Broad, new developments are starting to take shape incrementally. Between Broad and Girard, not only is nearly every parcel developed/under construction/under contract, but I noticed that some of the retail spaces are starting to fill with businesses! Between Girard and Cecil B. Moore, quite a few units are due to come online. New apartments have risen between Oxford and Cecil B. Moore, and there's a new building set to rise at the northwestern corner of Ridge and Oxford.

Further north, the only thing of note is a new apartment rising at Ridge and Glenwood, but nothing as intense as everything between Callowhill and Cecil B. Moore.

I meant to take pics yesterday, but I ended up spending the day with my girlfriend and didn't have time.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 7:51 PM

Anybody know what's going on here? I pass it daily and get a brief glimpse, it looks like there's a long retaining wall going up along 59th St at the present.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9842.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaldDeth81 View Post
Anybody know what's going on here? I pass it daily and get a brief glimpse, it looks like there's a long retaining wall going up along 59th St at the present.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9842.../data=!3m1!1e3
New PECO substation

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 11:01 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Philly neighborhoods need more trees. A new city initiative takes on the problem.

https://whyy.org/articles/philly-nei...n-the-problem/
So all the thickets of Mogadishu utility lines can get all tangled up in them costing the taxpayer $$$ to constantly trim them out leaving a mutilated arborscape behind?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 11:45 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^LOL

Simple solution

Select and plant trees that grow no more than 12 ft. at maturity when they are lined under sidewalks and utility lines, and not like the London planes you see that get hacked by these tree companies that the utility companies hire.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Apartments, commercial space proposed for Passyunk firehouse site
Alterra Property Group wants to build hundreds of apartments and create new commercial spaces on one of the last major underdeveloped parcels in the booming Passyunk Square neighborhood.
"Solving the eternal parking problem
Alterra would build 3 private parking spots for every 10 new housing units, and no new public parking. But at Squilla’s insistence, a city-owned lot across Reed Street that is used for storing city vehicles will be turned into a residential permit lot for at least 60 cars, the councilman said. Parking would be free for residents with city-issued permits."

Wharton Street

https://whyy.org/articles/apartments...irehouse-site/
This is my neighborhood and I am excited to see the new plans. There is a community meeting tonight, but I am not going. I agree with the proposal to move the firehouse and public parking so that they aren't facing Columbus Square. I'm not a big fan of these free city lots, but at least put it on an awkward, out of the way parcel not directly facing a really nice city park. An apartment building with ground floor commercial facing the square will do so much more for the area.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
This is my neighborhood and I am excited to see the new plans. There is a community meeting tonight, but I am not going. I agree with the proposal to move the firehouse and public parking so that they aren't facing Columbus Square. I'm not a big fan of these free city lots, but at least put it on an awkward, out of the way parcel not directly facing a really nice city park. An apartment building with ground floor commercial facing the square will do so much more for the area.
someone posted renderings on Facebook:

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 3:49 PM
Show me the blueprints

Nice

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^LOL

Simple solution

Select and plant trees that grow no more than 12 ft. at maturity when they are lined under sidewalks and utility lines, and not like the London planes you see that get hacked by these tree companies that the utility companies hire.
correct, the older trees were not the right kind for the city but were used because of fast growth rate and shade potential

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 8:52 PM

Gattuso Development plans new $26M building at Navy Yard

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...g-at-navy.html

Quote:
Gattuso Development Partners has put a parcel under control at the Philadelphia Navy Yard with plans to develop a new $26 million, 110,000-square-foot flex building that would cater to companies pursuing gene and cell therapies.

The building at 2500 League Island Blvd. would also accommodate other tech companies but is being positioned to tap into the growing cell therapy industry in Philadelphia particularly at the Navy Yard.

“We think it’s the perfect product type to respond to the current and future economy in Philadelphia and the growing concentration of life science companies,” said John Gattuso of the eponymously named Philadelphia real estate firm. “This is a format that is most appropriate to the production requirements and flexibility that these firms desire.”

The building has been designed to have a high-level of finishes that can serve companies that also need to project a quality of presence and image, Gattuso said.

Earlier this year, Gattuso Development was instrumental in attracting Iovance Biotherapeutics Inc. to the Navy Yard. The company signed a 136,000-square-foot lease for a new $125 million building that the real estate firm is developing. Iovance, which is relocating from California, is developing cell therapies for the treatment of cancer.

Iovance is the latest cell-therapy firm to land at the Navy Yard and will join Adaptimmune Therapeutics PLC and WuXi AppTec Co. However, the region is home to several other cell and gene companies, which has helped establish Philadelphia as a leading area for these firms to locate, grow and develop new therapies. Examples include the CAR T-cell therapy that Kymriah developed at Penn to treat certain type of cancers, and Philadelphia-based Spark Therapeutics’s Luxturna, the first FDA-approved gene therapy to treat an inherited condition. Roche closed on Tuesday its $4.3 billion acquisition of Spark.

Gattuso Development intends to buy the 6.5-acre site at 2500 League Island from Philadelphia Industrial Development Corp. The property currently has a building on it that will be torn down to make way for the new flex building. Construction would begin after a certain amount of pre-leasing is secured and that is estimated to take place by the summer of 2020, Gattuso said.

The building would be the first of several that Gattuso Development plans to build at the Navy Yard with an eye toward creating a campus. The real estate company would seek to add future buildings on parcels located to the east and north of 2500 League Island but has no agreements in place with PIDC at this time.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 9:07 PM

Can we PLEASE get that BSL extension now?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Can we PLEASE get that BSL extension now?
NO!

Really, this should become a shovel ready job to go when we face another recession.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 9:49 PM
Philly Rising Up!

https://www.inquirer.com/columnists/...-20191217.html

This is the most exciting news for the day...

"Spark currently employs 450, including 125 research scientists and support staff in the former Evening Bulletin building between Drexel University and the 30th Street train station, where Spark’s space is being expanded to house 350. Marrazzo said that may expand into thousands of employees as the group continues to expand."

Thousands of employees in the future sounds like they could take up a large tower beside the Bulletin Bldg.

Also this...

Among other additional locations, the company is scouting for a gene products factory location, like the new Tmunity research and development center at the former Tengion labs near Norristown, or the WuXi AppTec labs at the former Navy Yard in South Philly.

Boom...keep it coming...!!!!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 10:19 PM

In a recent Hidden City article on the tax abatement (https://hiddencityphila.org/2019/12/...le-is-brewing/)
these figures: properties no longer in abatement 12,477
properties currently in abatement 15,000+
which means 27,477+ new or rebuilt properties in the last 2 decades!

that's a boat load of new houses and apartments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development