HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Thanks for the pic!

This is great news! Dranoff can give yet another old building new life for generations to come. This is also another good project for Camden. I am very excited for the city and the attention it is finally starting to get.

I'd like to see some new development north of the bridge in the area of the former prison.

Considering all of the construction going on in Camden, I'm wondering if/when is the time to start a "Camden | General Developments Thread"?

I don't even know what that would look like, how to start it, or what would be the minimum amount it would take to keep it active.

Joseph, you seem to have your finger on the pulse of the city, what are your thoughts? Am I pipe dreaming here? Who knows, we may start to see some activity from Camden locals too.
No problem! Thought it was odd they didn't have a picture of the building. It's one of the few RCA/historic buildings left, even.

I'd certainly be up for having a general Camden developments thread. News about developments obviously comes up a lot more seldom than in Philly, but like Born Pure Philly said below, there's a lot of projects in motion. If such a thread were to exist, I'd definitely contribute when I read about something going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Pure Philly View Post
Holtec just released very preliminary plans for what would be their waterfront headquarters.
Did they! I know they were demolishing some buildings at the old New York Shipyard, but I haven't seen any actual plans yet. Are they up online anywhere?

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 12:12 AM

Sunday Updates:

Broad and Chestnut:
003 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

002 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

1100 block Chestnut:
004 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

005 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

006 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

8th and Arch:

013 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

11th and Market (Brickstone project):

024 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Van Pelt Mews:
080 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Penn Neural-Behavioral Sciences Building:

115 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

116 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
No problem! Thought it was odd they didn't have a picture of the building. It's one of the few RCA/historic buildings left, even.

I'd certainly be up for having a general Camden developments thread. News about developments obviously comes up a lot more seldom than in Philly, but like Born Pure Philly said below, there's a lot of projects in motion. If such a thread were to exist, I'd definitely contribute when I read about something going on.

Did they! I know they were demolishing some buildings at the old New York Shipyard, but I haven't seen any actual plans yet. Are they up online anywhere?
There are not much plans to speak of yet. I remember reading of a 500,000 sqft manufacturing plant for building heat transfer and nuclear reactor equipment. A reactor test loop facility and a large office complex adjacent to the manufacturing plant. I highly doubt this will be anything great to look at, but still good news over all for Camden.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 10:57 PM

The Boyd demolition may be at a deliberate pace, but it has made for some interesting sights. Snapped this over the weekend.

Untitled by Music_Man84, on Flickr

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 3:38 AM

Hancock and Sansom - Old City
New rows coming to this small street? Right next to the Ritz East in Old City taking out more of the surface lot.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 3:49 AM

Camden Subaru Headquarters

Looking like 6 floors

http://www.cooperrobertson.com/work/...teway_district

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 4:37 AM

Toll Brothers Prediction?

I periodically monitor Toll's website not so much because I am a fan of their product (I am not, at least not in Philadelphia), but because I am curious as to how their Philly projects are selling.

Until recently, you could look at floorplans for both 2400 South and the New Market Project. Interestingly, in the condo building at 2400, last I checked, there was only 1 remaining available unit. (Not sure about the townhouses).

At New Market, the pace of sales hasn't been as quick, but I'd say 2/3rds are under reservation/sold.

Undoubtedly, Toll has to be pleased with this pace, particularly at 2400 South.

My question is...at what point will they trigger another project in or near Center City? I would think it has to be soon, as they're increasingly dependent/reliant on urban projects to drive revenue as they diversify their product line.

That being said, where do we think their next project will land? I would think there is undoubtedly one in the pipeline.

My guess?

The Destination Maternity site for some sort of mega-block development. I recall that it is either under agreement or a part of some sort of RFP from the city. I don't remember which.

In any case, I could see Toll developing the site with a national partner like Avalon or Related, who might build rental units in a couple of high rises while Toll builds for-sale product.

I think the development of that super block (I think it goes from Willow (just above Callowhill) to Spring Garden, from 5th to 6th, is inevitable.

Thoughts? Anyone have any inkling of where Toll is getting the itch to build?

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 5:10 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Toll Brothers is super-conservative, and -- other than Naval Square, which is a gated community -- their projects are in established neighborhoods. The old Spring Garden Industrial District doesn't have quite that sort of establishment yet.

My guess is they're looking at the lot between 23rd, Cherry, and Race for their next project. It's a rarity -- a decent-sized vacant lot in an established neighborhood. Another possibility would be the parking lot behind 111 Walnut in Old City, or possibly a couple other large lots in Old City. Perhaps they could be looking at the lot at 18th and Callowhill too, with all the redevelopment in that part of town. I don't see them being forward redevelopers like, say, the guys proposing large apartment projects in Old Kensington are.

Actually, I think their conservativeness might become an issue, they'll hem and haw while other developers run away with the best midrise development sites!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 8:24 AM

New food and look coming to Porch at 30th St.

Quote:
The University City District will switch things up in coming weeks at the Porch at 30th Street Station, the popular weekday lunchtime destination outside the transit hub.

Part of Porch 2.0 is aesthetic: It will be landscaped and lit, with operation every day for lunch and four evenings a week.

The procession of food trucks that worked the crowds over the last three years were ousted last week, a point that led to grumbling among their ranks in this feature today on the Billy Penn site.

The new plan calls for one permanent food outlet, Rotisserie at the Porch, run by Michael Schulson (Sampan, Graffiti Bar, Independence Beer Garden, Izakaya, and the coming-soon Double Knot).

Similar to Independence Beer Garden, the Rotisserie will be a parked food truck serving lunch every day plus a beverage trailer offering beer and liquor Wednesday to Saturday from 4 to 9 p.m.

Groundswell Design Group (which gussied up Spruce Street Harbor Park, Morgan’s Pier, and Independence Beer Garden) will install a series of tiered wooden platforms intermingled with planters and vine canopies that offer various spaces for people to eat and chat. Also planned are overhead "festoon" lighting fixtures and brightly painted wooden “porch swings” designed by Gehl Studio.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...9yPK6kGkIgF.99

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Camden Subaru Headquarters

Looking like 6 floors
I'm extremely thrilled that Camden is getting the Subaru HQ and I hate to complain, but this design is a depressing suburban office park. I guess we shouldn't be too surprised, but for the Camden resurgence to really take root they'll need to develop infill with a more dense urban fabric.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
I'm extremely thrilled that Camden is getting the Subaru HQ and I hate to complain, but this design is a depressing suburban office park. I guess we shouldn't be too surprised, but for the Camden resurgence to really take root they'll need to develop infill with a more dense urban fabric.
True but don't forget this is a car companies HQ. They are going to have parking.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Well it is being built in what essentially is a suburban office park, in Camden. It is part of Campbell's Gateway District , which sits just outside of downtown Camden. While it is great that Camden is getting Subaru headquarters, this will not do much for the city, along with the whole gateway district plan IMO. There is a lot of money being spent to get these companies to Camden, but after scratching the surface, there isn't much substance to it. Just a bunch of headline stories for Christie to push for 2016.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 2:06 AM

Quote:
I don't think it's horrible. I mean the framework is in line with suburban office parks, but at least they gave it an edgy skin. It could be worse. I think it's architecturally in line with big players that set up shop in the suburbs - Nike, Intel, AOL (I hate to mention that one, but the campus is beautiful) - without being as bad as the more mundane suburban offices. But I definitely agree, for it to really impact Camden it needs to impact the city. It needs to be integrated. This is just another off the grid Camden office park that might as well be next to the Cherry Hill Mall. And they don't need funky design to do that, they just need to build anything downtown.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
This is just another off the grid Camden office park that might as well be next to the Cherry Hill Mall. And they don't need funky design to do that, they just need to build anything downtown.
The plan is for this location to have a PATCO station. So definitely not off the grid. Camden needs tax dollars. This building alone won't help much, but the hope is that when things are built out, people will start spending money locally, which is one of many necessary steps if the city is going see a resurgence.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
The plan is for this location to have a PATCO station. So definitely not off the grid. Camden needs tax dollars. This building alone won't help much, but the hope is that when things are built out, people will start spending money locally, which is one of many necessary steps if the city is going see a resurgence.
this is more akin to the Navy yard type area, the PATCO stop would help, wonder if anything will stimulate the Camden DT - it has good logistics and lots of space - just not demand

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I periodically monitor Toll's website not so much because I am a fan of their product (I am not, at least not in Philadelphia), but because I am curious as to how their Philly projects are selling.

Until recently, you could look at floorplans for both 2400 South and the New Market Project. Interestingly, in the condo building at 2400, last I checked, there was only 1 remaining available unit. (Not sure about the townhouses).

At New Market, the pace of sales hasn't been as quick, but I'd say 2/3rds are under reservation/sold.

Undoubtedly, Toll has to be pleased with this pace, particularly at 2400 South.

My question is...at what point will they trigger another project in or near Center City? I would think it has to be soon, as they're increasingly dependent/reliant on urban projects to drive revenue as they diversify their product line.

That being said, where do we think their next project will land? I would think there is undoubtedly one in the pipeline.

My guess?

The Destination Maternity site for some sort of mega-block development. I recall that it is either under agreement or a part of some sort of RFP from the city. I don't remember which.

In any case, I could see Toll developing the site with a national partner like Avalon or Related, who might build rental units in a couple of high rises while Toll builds for-sale product.

I think the development of that super block (I think it goes from Willow (just above Callowhill) to Spring Garden, from 5th to 6th, is inevitable.

Thoughts? Anyone have any inkling of where Toll is getting the itch to build?

I thought there were rumors of Toll looking at the Broad and Washington parcel (I believe Northwest corner) as well as the lot on the corner of 20th & Walnut (not the Castleway lot, the one across from Saxby's). No inside information here, just what was said on this or other threads.

I also thought I read somewhere that Destination Maternity was being turned into coworking space.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 1:50 PM

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 5:16 PM

Tower Crane at Museum of American Revolution

Going up this week....should be swinging steel next week!! Very large crane is needed due to location, size and weight of architectural pre-cast panels which will clad this building sometime late summer/early fall!

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 5:39 PM

So first time poster here, hope to post many more photos in the future if I can figure this out. Tower crane going up at the Revolutionary War Museum.

[IMG]20150507_140045 by mikieman1975, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]2015-05-07_01-33-56 by mikieman1975, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by Mikieman; May 7, 2015 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieman View Post
So first time poster here, hope to post many more photos in the future if I can figure this out. Tower crane going up at the Revolutionary War Museum. [IMG]<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/132227479@N05/17405102102/player/" width="75" height="75" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]
Welcome to the forum! Thank you for joining. Posting from Flickr is usually difficult. You have to select the size you want from Flickr, then right click on the image and select "Copy image URL" if on a Windows/PC and select "Copy Image Location" if on a Mac.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development