HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDweller98 View Post
New to the forum here, back in November Chicago Yimby mentioned that there would likely be an update on this tower once all contruction ended at the original Tribune Tower redevelopment. I think we can expect something to coincide when the first move-ins happen.
Move-ins started in June 2021.

Mods, maybe time to lock the thread?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post

Well the article is from November 2021, here's the excerpt I was referring to

"Chicago YIMBY also reached out to a representative on behalf of Tribune Tower Residences regarding the second phase “Tribune East” tower, a 1,422-foot-tall mixed-use skyscraper that was approved last year. While no new updates were made available, further details for this potentially skyline-altering supertall may likely surface once all the current construction is complete."

Not sure what they're referring to in the last sentence if move-ins already began months prior but I assume an update will happen in the upcoming months.

https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/11/a-l...cent-mile.html

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 9:42 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post

Why? If the original timeline for the new, east tower holds, maybe we will get an update sooner than later..

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 9:43 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
New to the forum here, back in November Chicago Yimby mentioned that there would likely be an update on this tower once all contruction ended at the original Tribune Tower redevelopment. I think we can expect something to coincide when the first move-ins happen.
Welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2022, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Well the article is from November 2021, here's the excerpt I was referring to

"Chicago YIMBY also reached out to a representative on behalf of Tribune Tower Residences regarding the second phase “Tribune East” tower, a 1,422-foot-tall mixed-use skyscraper that was approved last year. While no new updates were made available, further details for this potentially skyline-altering supertall may likely surface once all the current construction is complete."

Not sure what they're referring to in the last sentence if move-ins already began months prior but I assume an update will happen in the upcoming months.

https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/11/a-l...cent-mile.html
Yes move-ins had already begun at the time, and this was mentioned in the article. However there has still been construction up until recently on the adjacent Pioneer Court and around the Michigan-facing entrance. I went by the Tribune East site last week and it is basically cleared out now. I would still expect to hear something this year, provided they do decide to move forward with the tower in its approved state.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 2:52 PM

I have some bad news with regards to Tribune Tower East. I went to a networking event at the Tribune Tower last night. It included a tour of the new residences and amenity spaces (unbelievably cool btw). The tour was led by Lee Golub himself. He leads Golub's US division and Golub is part of the development team for both phases of the Tribune Tower. He was telling a bunch of stories and eventually started talking about the 1422' Phase 2 Tower. According to him the tower is definitely not happening and they never considered it a serious proposal in the first place. They just wanted something to show as part of the proposal for phase 1. He considered the tower way too tall and grand and that it never made economic sense. Something will happen there someday but it won't be nearly so tall.

My read on the situation is that some people within the architectural/development team definitely hoped to build a 1422' tower and Lee was very much not in that group. And now that they're saying the proposal is dead, he's saying that it was never a real proposal in the first place to save face. Could be wrong. Either way, I think we can consider this proposal dead for now.

Last edited by JN12Franklin; Jun 16, 2022 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:12 PM

Why would they go through the trouble of getting the Tower approved by the plan commission if they never were serious about it? Makes no sense

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:13 PM

Welp that was fun while it lasted then

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:16 PM

I had hoped the tower would come to fruition, but a voice in the back of my head was always saying it was too good to be true. Honestly it's not too much of a surprise, and it had been a long time since we received any news regarding the tower.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:18 PM

Fuck me. It was such a good proposal as well, and at an amazing height.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:22 PM

Very disappointing.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Why would they go through the trouble of getting the Tower approved by the plan commission if they never were serious about it? Makes no sense
Right. And it's not like the city just rubber stamped some low-effort zoning application. They held so many meetings with the alderman, neighbors, planning dept. CDOT, etc. and made multiple revisions along the way. They poured tons of cash into the pockets of attorneys, architects, and an army of consultants to get approval.

The tower probably isn't happening any time soon or at all, but I don't buy Lee's "it was never serious" excuse for one second.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 4:04 PM

I was honestly shocked to hear Lee so flippantly describe the project as "not serious". Almost like it was an art project they did for fun. I guess in the world of skyscraper development, you never want to admit defeat. But the efforts they've put in aren't totally a sunk cost. They're still going to build something there someday. He didn't say anything about a timeline. He did also say it will almost certainly be single use (the original design had hotel, apartments, and condos). I'm not an export on this but I'd assume approvals for a reduced design will sail through now that they went through approval process for a larger design. And lastly, they got a lot of publicity at the time.

He also mentioned something about Alderman Reilly wanting to see what the future phase 2 would look like before approving phase 1 (I didn't fully understand that part so hopefully I'm not misrepresenting what he said).

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 4:15 PM
Show me the blueprints

I blame laurel resters.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 4:17 PM

Chicago really needs this 1422ft antihistamine for its supertall allergy. Honestly its amazing Vista Tower got built with Chicago's recent record of height chops or cancellations.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 4:22 PM

Wow, I went to the proposal way back and it seemed very serious. What a joke and waste of everyone's time. Clowned.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 4:44 PM

IF 400 LSD gets built i will be surprised and happy but i fear the 800+ boom is over...

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 5:22 PM

I feel devastated but am not really that surprised. Looks like Vista will be Chicago's last supertall for a while (~20 years?), which makes me wish, even more than before, that One Chicago were a supertall.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 5:23 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
Wow, I went to the proposal way back and it seemed very serious. What a joke and waste of everyone's time. Clowned.
From everything we heard it was, there's something off about all of this.

This isn't a shot directly at JN12Franklin, and I don't know why he would lie about this but he is a new guy on the forum with few posts.

Quote:
Chicago really needs this 1422ft antihistamine for its supertall allergy. Honestly its amazing Vista Tower got built with Chicago's recent record of height chops or cancellations.
Chicago is the only other city outside of Asia that's a top 10er in the skyscraper world. It really needs something like this to keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
I feel devastated but am not really that surprised. Looks like Vista will be Chicago's last supertall for a while (~20 years?), which makes me wish, even more than before, that One Chicago were a supertall.
Supertall = 400+ meters on a world stage nowadays. Sears is the only real one in Chicago.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 5:27 PM

Typical

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals