HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 9:10 PM
Skyriser

That San Diego "developer" Joe Pinnsoneault (sp?) had big plans for the warehouse district years ago.

I think what's going on here is out of state interests are just looking at opportunities and don't either know or care about the history. Being south of the tracks is meaningless when you're still in the right submarket and you're close to the downtown core.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 4:33 PM

Phoenix church may be redeveloped for apartments, though some call for preservation

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...s/69890238007/

Quote:
A plan to sell and redevelop a church near downtown Phoenix would secure the congregation some much-needed funds to continue its work in Phoenix, but some community members hope portions of the nearly 80-year-old building can be salvaged. Mercy Hill Church, located near Seventh Avenue and Fillmore Street, is under contract to be sold to Trumont Group, a Texas-based real estate development and investment firm, which plans to raze the existing church building and develop a 122-unit apartment complex on the site. Once the sale is final, the church plans to build a new worship facility on land nearby that the church already owns. The affordable housing units on the existing church site are not part of the redevelopment and will remain in place.

The sale would generate money for the new building and free the church leadership from having a maintain an aging building that has, in many ways, fallen into disrepair. “Buildings are a blessing but can also be a burden,” Anthony Cox, lead pastor at Mercy Hill, said at a community meeting about the church's future. Cox said the church is committed to the community, but the building maintenance and other operations have gotten so expensive that if they do not act soon, they might not be able to stay in the area.

A church in disrepair
The church has been quoted between $2 million and $4 million to restore the church, which has extensive issues from the aging infrastructure, Cox said. On Christmas Eve, a pipe broke, which left the church to foot the bill and some residents who live in affordable housing near the church without water.

A portion of the roof has collapsed in a room that had been long vacated, Cox said. “It’s expensive to continue pouring money into a building that has aged out of its functional use,” Cox said, adding that the church is committed to staying in the neighborhood but cannot use the building in its current condition. The church had previously tried to salvage the building through donation drives and applying for grants, but that did not generate the needed funds. The congregation has been using the church on the site since 1980, after moving from a location near Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. The church was renamed Mercy Hill in 2015. “The biggest thing for our church is we want the community to know we care about them,” Cox said. “We really are invested and concerned about the needs of the neighborhood.”

Redeveloping the site but preserving the aesthetic
Cox said the church already has an approved demolition permit from the city but wants to wait and work with nearby residents to try to find ways that can make all parties feel better before moving forward with demolition. Trumont Group has been working with the church for a couple of years on a plan to redevelop the site. Plans have gone through several design iterations after community members asked that anything developed on the site keep with the character of the existing brick church, which was designed by Lescher & Mahoney in the 1940s. The church had been for sale for years before Trumont Group became involved, Shane Essert, vice president of Trumont Group, said. The latest submittal from the developer has been modified based community desires to keep the look of the site consistent, he said.

The project is designed for the ground floor units to be “live-work” units, designed for people who work from home and want offices in their unit, Essert said. The planned "carriage house" units also are designed to include artist studios. Renderings for the project incorporate brick arcades and keep the Spanish-style look of the church on the new building, Essert said. Trumont Group is in escrow to buy the building and is planning to close when the site receives zoning approval from the city of Phoenix. Several members of the community have expressed the desire to preserve the church’s bell tower and sanctuary, which are not included in the plans for the new building. Essert said the group is working with their designers and engineers to determine which, if any, pieces of the structure could be preserved, but many pieces of the church are in disrepair.

Members of the community who attended the meeting said the redevelopment will be “precedent-setting” for the neighborhood and urged Trumont Group to preserve as much of the existing church as possible. Several neighbors also expressed concern about the size of the building in comparison to the neighborhood, which is mostly single-family homes that are one to two stories tall.

Vice Mayor Yassamin Ansari, whose district includes Mercy Hill, said her office has been involved in conversations between the church, the developer and community members. When the original plans were first submitted, Ansari said stakeholders all agreed the development needed to fit the neighborhood better. The plans have since been updated to include the brick arches and Spanish-style design. “There have been a lot of changes,” Ansari said. “At the beginning, it was a big soulless apartment building. The second iteration was much better, and after significant feedback, the plan was changed to the Spanish, mission-style.” Because the building does not fit historic designation at the city, the city cannot disburse funds to pay for repair or restoration, Ansari said. “The church and its architecture holds significance for the community, but it does not fit the city’s definition of historic,” she said. Ansari said the downtown area needs more housing, and while the Trumont Group project is not affordable housing, new units will add to the needed housing stock.

The project still needs to receive zoning approval from the City Council. “I think everyone is coming at it in good faith,” she said. “The Grand Avenue neighborhood is very organized and passionate, and the developer has spent a significant amount of time with the neighborhood, doing walking tours with different groups.”

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 4:46 PM

Deleted for lack of reading comprehension.

Eh, this church is nothing special to me. I say go for it. Why don't the preservationists focus on interesting preservation projects like the Church at 3rd ave and Monroe or how about the old Mason Lodge? No... brick buildings from 1940... okay

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
But Im still surprised that Garfield and the neighborhoods west of 7th Ave have not seen more rapid gentrification in the last couple of years.

I figured by now Garfield would be full of remodels, tear downs and expensive little homes like Willow or Coronado but it seems to resist the gentrification pressure really well
I think you'd be pleased to know the number of infill projects (some 3-4 story projects) in the pipeline for Garfield/Eastlake. Most are in the early stages but developers are itching to get these off the ground.

In Eastlake, I noticed this morning the debris of 1142 E Jefferson St finally being hauled off --can someone remind me what's planned for this parcel and the rest of the ever-expanding empty lot?

Also, work is well underway for the 5-story Ragsdale apartments at 1140 E Washington St.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Eh, this church is nothing special to me. I say go for it. Why don't the preservationists focus on interesting preservation projects like the Church at 3rd ave and Monroe or how about the old Mason Lodge? No... brick buildings from 1940... okay
The project looks great. We really could use some (good) spanish and southwest influenced urban buildings and shady arcades, especially at this scale. The church is unremarkable at best but has some really nice design elements that are being carried over to the new design. Sounds like the neighborhood is open to the idea, and the developer is responsive to valid feedback. A great example of how you can work with pre-existing context while increasing the development intensity of an interesting site. The two are so often positioned as opposite, but they don't have to be.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 5:36 PM

Christown Mall Plan Could Deliver 760 New Apartments

https://azbex.com/planning-developme...ew-apartments/

Quote:
A plan from Kimco Realty could deliver 760 new multifamily units and permanently transform the area around Christown Spectrum Mall in north central Phoenix.

Kimco has a request before the City of Phoenix to rezone 12.15 acres at the NWC of 15th and Montebello avenues from Planned Shopping Center, Interim-Transit Oriented Zoning Overlay District One to Walkable Urban Code, Transect 5:5 District, Transit Solano Character Area for the project.

The location is currently occupied by a surface parking lot and a vacant 5.2KSF former Costco Auto Center that will be demolished if the project goes through.

Under the proposal, the development will be executed in two phases. Phase I will create a five-story, 290-unit apartment building and a 260-space four-story parking structure that will be wrapped by the residential space.

In Phase II, the remaining 470 units will be in a tiered building going from two stories up to five. There will also be a parking structure of four-to-five stories that will be screened by the residential component.

Among the original plans and attached planning stipulations are a 10KSF civic plaza with public access that directly connects to the sidewalk on Montebello to create a pedestrian amenity. There will also be a pedestrian paseo at the Phase II building. An additional paseo will be built between Phases I and II to deliver “a highly walkable and connected pedestrian experience.”

The staff report accompanying the proposal before the Alhambra Village Planning Committee recommended approval for the project, with stipulations. The report found the project in keeping with the Walkable Urban Code and Transit Oriented zoning, as well as the existing scope and development of the surrounding neighborhood and density.

In speaking specifically about the areas immediately surrounding the site, the report said:

The 19North corridor is uniquely situated between the North Mountain Village Core (which encompasses Metrocenter Mall) and the Alhambra Village Core (which encompasses Christown Spectrum Mall). Both areas are positioned for high-quality, walkable, urban, mixed-use development.

The subject site is identified as an area to “Retrofit” in the plan’s community-identified change area maps. Areas identified as “Retrofit” are those that would benefit from additional landscaping within the right-of-way or parking lot, adaptive reuse of structures or adding new buildings to vacant properties or parking lots at the same scale as surrounding neighborhoods.

It went on to detail the 19North Urban Principles for Infill Development, which calls for, among other items, expanding the Walkable Urban Code to all of 19North and applying it to future projects and promoting pedestrian plazas and open spaces at key locations.

The report also found the project supports the goals of the Alhambra Village Character Plan by promoting compatible infill development with a mix of housing types near transit areas, protecting and building upon the character of the neighborhood with compatible development, and encouraging multimodal transit options.

Unlike many large-scale projects that are expected to have impacts that change the character of existing neighborhoods, nearby residents largely expressed support for the plan, including the Washington Park Neighborhood Association, the Pasadena Neighborhood Association and individual residents. The comments generally said the project will serve to help revitalize and rejuvenate the neighborhood, which has long struggled to overcome the problems associated with aging commercial services and declining density.

The Alhambra Village Planning Committee heard and approved the request in its Feb. 28 meeting.

Kimco Realty is the developer. The project planner is Streetsense. Kimley-Horn is the civil and traffic engineer, and the project is represented by Earl & Curley.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
One error, this site is currently occupied by a roving band of tweakers, not a normal surface parking lot. They're not there to shop. They're not there to work. They're just there. And there's always a few leaders, usually a sketchy dude who aggressively rides around on a child's BMX bike.

Seriously it's really sad how bad this area has become. There's no other Target for miles around and it used to be a place my wife shopped at for lots of our family needs. Now she refuses to go; and she grew up in the area so it's not like she's a sheltered suburb kid. The one on 16th St "doesn't have everything I need" apparently.

It has continued to spiral since the Costco closed. Hopefully the city will do something about it and hopefully a new multi fam helps.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 11:21 PM

Final building plans were submitted for Modera Midtown at Punchcard east of Central on Osborn. What's shown below are the preliminary plans and zoning submittal. I'm not sure how much it's changed, if at all.

[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut1 View Post
Final building plans were submitted for Modera Midtown at Punchcard east of Central on Osborn. What's shown below are the preliminary plans and zoning submittal. I'm not sure how much it's changed, if at all.

[/QUOTE]

Nice renderings. I was hoping this site could be developed with taller structures...not too high that would dwarf the original towers. We are running out of lots and the higher skyline is getting harder to achieve.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 4:42 PM

If they intend to finish building the Financial plaza in the style of the original as shown here I bow

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 5:00 PM

Nice renderings. I was hoping this site could be developed with taller structures...not too high that would dwarf the original towers. We are running out of lots and the higher skyline is getting harder to achieve.[/QUOTE]

Limited lots leads precisely to height.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 5:29 PM
Modulator

Quote:

If they intend to finish building the Financial plaza in the style of the original as shown here I bow
I would love to see it finished with the second tower. But at the least, make the tower identical in height to the original tower. Not sure if it's actually a proposed tower. But I'm sure they added it to the rendering for a reason

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 3:50 AM
Skyriser

I can't tell what's going on with the rendering but the amount of parking provided there directly informs what they can do with the rest of the overall site.

That being said, what they are doing by placing another superblock V/I-type building seems rather unimaginative.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 11:19 PM

Now that Callia is nearly complete and leasing, I thought I'd drive by and see how it turned out. Frankly it's not the nicest but it's a heckuva lot better than a lot of the midrise projects we're seeing in midtown. I know some wanted more for this corner, but it is 500 units so you can't be too mad at that. It appears pretty darn close to the attached artwork released back in 2020.

I can't imagine paying more than $2k for a 2bdrm or 1600 for a studio to live in midtown but there appears to be plenty who will.

The interior looks nice.

The corner represents reality in AZ. On one side of the street is a nice project but not what the dreamers want, which is on the other side of the street near Indian School park. That's what the dreamers want- a multi building, multi use project with tons of features and density. Alas, it remains dirt.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 12:11 PM
self-important urbanista

Callia looks good from Central Avenue, and it does a decent job of addressing the corner of Central & Indian School. Where it falls short for this "dreamer" is in its presence as it extends west along Indian School all the way to Third Avenue. It's simply too big and too monotonous. It should have been broken into smaller structures, perhaps with courtyards, alleys, or through streets along the way. The detached sidewalk and trees the developer has added increase the walkability of Indian School by enhancing pedestrian safety, but the uniformity of the streetscape doesn't add much in the way of walk appeal. Of course, I've also developed a bias against the project because the construction workers have been illegaly parking in the Third Avenue bike lanes. Now that the project is nearly done, I hope the residents don't do the same.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Callia looks good from Central Avenue, and it does a decent job of addressing the corner of Central & Indian School. Where it falls short for this "dreamer" is in its presence as it extends west along Indian School all the way to Third Avenue. It's simply too big and too monotonous. It should have been broken into smaller structures, perhaps with courtyards, alleys, or through streets along the way. The detached sidewalk and trees the developer has added increase the walkability of Indian School by enhancing pedestrian safety, but the uniformity of the streetscape doesn't add much in the way of walk appeal. Of course, I've also developed a bias against the project because the construction workers have been illegaly parking in the Third Avenue bike lanes. Now that the project is nearly done, I hope the residents don't do the same.
I live near here and been walking my dog down Indian School. I just wonder if they are going to add railings for the 1st floor apartments porch. Right now it looks terrible without a railing.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 6:07 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
I live near here and been walking my dog down Indian School. I just wonder if they are going to add railings for the 1st floor apartments porch. Right now it looks terrible without a railing.
I hope the residents demand that as a basic safety feature so that they're less likely to find someone camped out right in front of the door.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 4:56 PM

Another 5-story apartment building proposed, this one for Thomas/34th St.:

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...ed_reduced.pdf

One of the better looking proposals IMO, and seems to do a good job stepping down to the SFHs.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Another 5-story apartment building proposed, this one for Thomas/34th St.:

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...ed_reduced.pdf

One of the better looking proposals IMO, and seems to do a good job stepping down to the SFHs.
Great to see investment on Thomas in this area. This is near my Home Depot and the area is slowly but surely improving.

Sad to see Pruitt's Furniture go but it seems old school furniture stores aren't survivable.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
Great to see investment on Thomas in this area. This is near my Home Depot and the area is slowly but surely improving.

Sad to see Pruitt's Furniture go but it seems old school furniture stores aren't survivable.
The gentrification in that area continues to push south, When i was in high school everything south of Indian school was sketchy now its already gentrified down to Mcdowel in some spots. I fully expect the entire area north of the 202 and between the 51 and I-17 will be gentrified over the next 20 years. Although as you get closer to the 17 it has a loooooong way to go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest