HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 4:05 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Emerald Ash Borer is going to literally kill off all our Ash trees anyway so we as a city have to re think our canopy anyway. We already should be quite well aware about Dutch Elm.
There are no ash trees left here at all. Many are still standing but all are dead and barkless. The town has even removed any healthy ash trees remaining.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 4:10 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I bought a maple tree at RRC's tree sale that was developed by the Morden experimental farm to withstand harsh winters. I think I planted it six years ago and driving by it last week it looked like a healthy 25 year old tree!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
It would be interesting to know the age of people on this forum who don`t believe that work from home, or some form of it, is here to stay.

In my experience people under 35 now expect some kind of work from home option. The term "the genie is out of the bottle" has been used a few times. It is. The pandemic made many people, and organizations, realize that they don't have to be physically present in a soul sucking office to effectively do their job.

People experienced what work-life balance is/can be and are not willing to be forced back into commuting 20-30 minutes to sit in an office all day for those few moments of physical interaction that many here claim is so important. Zoom, MSTeams, Skype.....

The world and how we communicate and interact has shifted dramatically in the past ten years. To think that methods and forms of how we work wont also shift, and be expected by employees to shift, is short sighted and shows the distinct schism in how the older generation and younger generation view office work differently.

Those that don't adapt will see their talent leave for those who do.
There was an interesting article in Fortune Magazine this week about “you could lose your job in ten years by WFH” and jobs being moved offshore.

In essence if you insist on working from home I will find someone offshore who will do your job for less. I believe people are doing WFH to their own detriment.

To me all this does is fast track offshoring. Business Execs don’t believe that all staff are being more productive. If they wont come back to the office in any capacity, just move those jobs elsewhere.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&M40BELOW View Post
There was an interesting article in Fortune Magazine this week about “you could lose your job in ten years by WFH” and jobs being moved offshore.

In essence if you insist on working from home I will find someone offshore who will do your job for less. I believe people are doing WFH to their own detriment.

To me all this does is fast track offshoring. Business Execs don’t believe that all staff are being more productive. If they wont come back to the office in any capacity, just move those jobs elsewhere.
This has long been my concern. Perhaps right now, WFH offers can be used as a recruiting tool, but when labour markets favour employers, and you have an employee who is never present, there is lots of incentive to replace them with anybody cheaper. Unless they are absolutely dynamite, they will be "easy" to replace as they won't be much of a known person. I think it's great if some folks are able and want to WFH permanently, but they may well as you pointed out via Fortune be creating a situation where they write themselves out of the will so to speak.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 1:24 PM

^ I wonder if that was a risk in any event, though? Might place a premium in the future on some "old school" types of jobs like firefighter or nurse that simply can't be outsourced.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 4:20 PM

Some context from my POV.

I've worked for 2 large, global companies over the past 15 years. Everything that can be outsourced was done so years ago. IT, accounting, support services. India, Phillipines, UK(?!), etc. There are still some local (Canada) based people of course. But all the leg work is done overseas.

There is nothing that can replace skilled, local labour. Nothing.

I'm at very little risk of being replaced by someone from South Africa, for example. They know nothing about Canada. Just like I know pretty much nothing about SA. Instead we work together over Teams, Projectwise, and other cloud services.

WFH programs allow flexibility. Some people worked remotely from home pre-pandemic. IBM IT services for example. Going forward, if I don't need to be in the office on a particular day, then I'll stay home. If I have meetings or otherwise, I go in.

In January when it's -30c, blowing wind, I'm staying home thanks.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:06 PM

Interior demolition looks like it's coming along on that residential conversion on Carlton, above Shannon's. It sort of passed me by as it kind of blended into the skywalk renovations.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I wonder if that was a risk in any event, though? Might place a premium in the future on some "old school" types of jobs like firefighter or nurse that simply can't be outsourced.
No doubt. Something that you need to be physically present for is difficult to see eroding away.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 2:34 AM

I forget if this project has it's own thread..
The Micro suites the Pollards are building at 390 Ross is getting some sort of stone cladding, looks like Tyndall stone?

https://imgur.com/E8T3vIv
https://imgur.com/IcXkemv

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 3:24 PM
I am the law!

Work from home and jobs being shifted overseas use similar technologies but, they aren't the same thing. Thousands of jobs have been shifted overseas the decade before the pandemic. It hasn't paid off for the most part. Oversea operations have been detrimentally unreliable. The companies I know have reversed that trend and are now resorting to overseas recruiting for contract positions in Canada. For example, There's no benefits and you get paid the same whether the contract takes 40 hours or 80 hours a week.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 6:59 PM

For years before the pandemic, I worked "hybrid" - one or two days a week at home, but the majority of the time in the office. Management was always a bit suspicious about it, but I know I always ended up putting in more hours overall than if I worked 9-5 in the office. COVID really upset the balance, and how I feel like I'm always surrounded by work in my house. Going to the office 3 or 4 days a week was a way to achieve work/life balance for me. I think it's better overall from a mental health standpoint to go to the office regularly. But I'm over 40, so I guess I'm too old to get with it.

On the other hand, I'm looking out my home office window right now at my neighbour, working on his boat in the front driveway. (a regular thing during office hours over there) Maybe his work/life balance is better than mine?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
On the other hand, I'm looking out my home office window right now at my neighbour, working on his boat in the front driveway. (a regular thing during office hours over there) Maybe his work/life balance is better than mine?
any idea what his "real job" is that allows him to do that? maybe he gets his "assigned" work done in 2 hrs but gets paid for 8 hrs. or maybe no one knows what he does during the day? The pandemic and WFH has really opened my eyes to what some people do. I've mentioned it here before, my I know someone in the Feds that "runs reports", takes her 2 hrs. rest of the day, nothing else to do. blows my mind

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
any idea what his "real job" is that allows him to do that? maybe he gets his "assigned" work done in 2 hrs but gets paid for 8 hrs. or maybe no one knows what he does during the day? The pandemic and WFH has really opened my eyes to what some people do. I've mentioned it here before, my I know someone in the Feds that "runs reports", takes her 2 hrs. rest of the day, nothing else to do. blows my mind
I know of several people that work for private for-profit jobs in similar situations. So it's not just government, just a lot of BS in a day that can realistically get done in a couple hours. Better for quality of life if you can enjoy your home and get stuff done rather than twiddle your thumbs and browse the internet waiting for 5 pm to roll around.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 8:33 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I know of several people that work for private for-profit jobs in similar situations. So it's not just government, just a lot of BS in a day that can realistically get done in a couple hours. Better for quality of life if you can enjoy your home and get stuff done rather than twiddle your thumbs and browse the internet waiting for 5 pm to roll around.
But then when would anyone post on this site?

Getting all my internet work done during the day frees up my evenings!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Work from home and jobs being shifted overseas use similar technologies but, they aren't the same thing. Thousands of jobs have been shifted overseas the decade before the pandemic. It hasn't paid off for the most part. Oversea operations have been detrimentally unreliable. The companies I know have reversed that trend and are now resorting to overseas recruiting for contract positions in Canada. For example, There's no benefits and you get paid the same whether the contract takes 40 hours or 80 hours a week.
Timezone differences alone preclude outsourcing anything important.

But given some of the layabouts people are talking about here, it doesn't sound like their bullshit jobs need any kind of spatial-temporal presence.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 3:34 PM

Something to keep in mind is lots of organizations are intentionally overstaffed for day to day operations so when a major crunch comes unexpectedly they have ability to absorb that added work and keep things running close to normal. That is why the old WRHA was structured the way it was, so there would be capacity to respond to a pandemic for instances. Too bad when the changes were purposed and it was pointed out they would really hurt the organization if a pandemic happened that people did not listen.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post

But given some of the layabouts people are talking about here, it doesn't sound like their bullshit jobs need any kind of spatial-temporal presence.

Man, have you guys never heard of technology? Smartphones, tablets, laptops?

You can be out doing things not related to work and still be available. Somedays for people work consists of nothing but phone calls and emails, spread out throughout the day. Why would people sit in a room staring at a computer waiting for something to happen on those days?

You do realize people can organize their work day as they see fit, provided they are completing their assigned responsibilities, right? In the end if they are not doing an adequate job they will be relieved of their duties. Fairly straight forward.

This disdain shown on here by some for people and their jobs who no longer want to be, or need to be, tethered to a desk or computer for 8 straight hours is laughable.

Not your style, that is fine, move on. Don't rail against and belittle those who have the ability to effectively manage their work life without the traditional 8 hour day at a desk.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 4:25 PM
the first stamp is free

I am guilty of being completely unable to work effectively away from the office - although currently that is more of a function of the type of job I have is best suited for close collaboration with people during the work week.

If I worked mostly from home - my house would be clean. Dinner would be ready the same time everyday. Paint touch ups would be done. I would basically spend most of the time (other than phone calls and emails) doing everything but work.

But that's mostly my own issue. I get that some people can still be productive working at home - but we are entering a difficult stage right now with surging inflation. Everyone is going to want or expect a BIG raise this year - but companies (at least in the field I work in) aren't making any extra profits. So something is gonna give. And if it were me, I would be doing everything I could to remain relevant and noticed at work - even if it means doing that 9-5 grind everyday like most of us do.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post

Depending on work, the project staff can still do the work in their time zone and the offshore supervisors/project managers get to adjust their sleep once or twice a week to meet with the North American client on our time zone.

That's how a lot of IT projects are being done with the detail work being done off shore.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 6:46 PM

Time zone wise. It depends on the tasks. If you can parcel something out and just say send me this back when you're done, time zones aren't as big an issue. If you need to be on the phone with people regularly, it becomes challenging.

We work with South Africa more than Australia due to time zones.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan