HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
I was listening to NPR the other day and they had a story about "The death of retail". Long story short, not all retail districts are created equal. Are malls in rural areas dying? Of course, but so are rural areas. Companies like Sears that invested in grey box stores in the suburbs and rural areas are feeling the pain because of the demographic shift. Big city stores are having a much easier go of it, and can by and large support big retail. I think this proposal looks amazing. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I like elevated pedestrian walkways. No typical big retail blank walls until you're way up, and with a modern lighting scheme, this thing would be bad to the ass.
Naw, the walkways are dope. This is going to look like some Asian megacity retail district when it is done. Two floors of outdoor retail? Awesome. It's going to feel like a classic two floor indoor mall, but outdoors.

And yes, not all retail is equal. Downtown Chicago flagships aren't there to sell eight billion pairs of jeans, they are there to enforce the brand and create a marketing experience that causes people to buy eight billion pairs of Nike's. The insane rents of flagship stores rarely make them the most profitable outlets of a brand. How many people buy products like Nike's or jeans from their TV? None, yet the brand still runs TV ads. The idea is to get people to buy their brand somehow whether from a store or online or from the flagship. Many brands that are online are now even creating retail storefronts that don't carry stock for sale, but allow customers to experience the product or try it on. Then you order online and it shows up next day. Warby Parker is a perfect example of this. Expect many huge brands to continue to open up flagship spaces like this (see Starbucks, there is no way coffee sales will cover rent at that location) downtown Chicago. This is exactly where this trend in retail will play out as it is the largest urban core with the highest exposure and foot traffic for 1,000+ miles in any direction. If you want to fully indoctrinate 60,000,000 Midwesterners with your brand presence you need to have a flagship in Chicago. It's that simple.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 10:49 PM

The Hayden condo in the West Loop appears about to begin construction. There are cassion markers out on the site now.

haydenwestloop.com

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 10:56 PM

^ Great to hear! I like the design, but that 1st floor leaves a lot to be desired.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 12:09 AM

If they're going to stick with the boarded up window motif, they could at least do something intersting like an art display in those "windows".

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 12:21 AM

I don't see an entrance to it at all?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 3:48 AM

I stopped by the jewel osco at Clark and Divison. Oof! Painfully genetic. Odd old people smell too which made me want to leave. I kind of hate grocery shopping, but I like it when the stores present everything well. Like the Mariano's stores inspire me to pick up more stuff. Jewel is just this relentless march of shelves.

With packaged meal delivery services like blue Apron / hello fresh, basic need convenience like Walgreens and a bunch of other grocers and a potential "Organic Prime" delivery service, Jewel had to make this store a destination. What a disappointment. My store on southport is way nicer

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:41 AM
Chicago

"Deer"

June 29, 2017

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:43 AM
Chicago

Apple Store ~ 401 N Michigan

June 27, 2017

June 29, 2017

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:52 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
the notion that Michigan Ave is somehow immune to the retail pinch that is sure to play out over the next few years i think is pretty myopic. the stuff inside North Bridge, Water Tower Place, and MI AVE in general aside from some exceptions are pretty standard mall brands. the changes coming around the corner are going to be seismic.
I don't see how it's shortsighted to see that there is a distinct difference in shopping malls, flagship stores, and high end shopping and most other malls around the country. Take a walk down Michigan avenue any day of the week. It's packed, completely fucking packed. I won't even go within a couple blocks of Michigan if I'm walking north to my brother's place in the Goldcoast because of how busy that part of town is, and nothing is changing that with how many tourists this city gets every year.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Naw, the walkways are dope.
+1. Great solution to capitalize on this section of North Michigan, and activate the southeast corner of River North.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I stopped by the jewel osco at Clark and Divison. ... Odd old people smell too
Shoppers or staff? Is this something different from the old Jewel or the Treasure Island?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
"Deer"
June 29, 2017
Was there a zig-zag ramp here up to Wacker or am I thinking of just a rendering?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
+1. Great solution to capitalize on this section of North Michigan, and activate the southeast corner of River North.

Shoppers or staff? Is this something different from the old Jewel or the Treasure Island?

Was there a zig-zag ramp here up to Wacker or am I thinking of just a rendering?
This is to the West of the zig zag ramp - was a solid expanse of lawn, now a path, a statue, and more path.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:34 PM
tilted & shifted

A look at Lakeview’s upcoming ‘Tied House’ restaurant designed by Gensler Chicago

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/6/29...esign-lakeview

This reminds me of Studio Gang's Brick Weave House on Race.

http://studiogang.com/project/brick-weave-house

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:50 PM

I do not hate this.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 7:01 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
This is to the West of the zig zag ramp - was a solid expanse of lawn, now a path, a statue, and more path.
I just walked by this and have to think the paths are for ADA access to the eventual restaurant that will be under Wacker. No other way for a wheelchair to get there with the lawn.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
I just walked by this and have to think the paths are for ADA access to the eventual restaurant that will be under Wacker. No other way for a wheelchair to get there with the lawn.
Makes sense. During the winter and spring, the melting snow and rains also wiped out the grass on these paths. Giving the rain and snow melt a path might save the rest of the lawn. Seems to solve a number of problems.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 1:36 PM

Must have missed this, but a 7 story office building with ground floor retail was issued for the SW corner of Fulton Market and Halsted. Developer is Shapack and is surface lot currently:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/80...!4d-87.6476669

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 2:01 PM

^ Wow, it sure took them a while to get this building started. In case anyone forgot what this building will look like, here's a rendering:

Shapack Partners 801-811 W. Fulton Market

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 2:03 PM

^ very cool to see new construction that looks like that. Now can they just build things like that with 6-8 floors right up to the lot lines all the way out to the United Center?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ very cool to see new construction that looks like that. Now can they just build things like that with 6-8 floors right up to the lot lines all the way out to the United Center?
No because nthe Wirtzes seem intent on land banking their sea of parking until the end of time. Seriously, they could build a Staples Center development there with their pocket change, yet the only things they are putting up are training facilities and team offices...

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 3:12 PM

Glad they're finally going to start on that corner, been walking past it for years.

I wonder how much longer the surface parking lots across Halsted are going to last.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development