HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (four 0 four) View Post
The rendering above should put that to rest...
It's unfortunate, it would have looked good to see the bracing down the entire side.
I agree. Womp womp. This is what Atlanta gets for tolerating renderings of just a subset of the building and not making site plans and engineering designs public.

We have little public scrutiny and little pushback from the city.

But hey, we have a phase 2 in the works! That’s exciting!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtec View Post
Or a Zion Market, Mega Mart, Assi Market, Namdaemun Market. They're pretty similar.
anything that support and attracts more of our diversity. I’m shocked it taking this long for any of Atlanta’s neighborhoods to take stride in this.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 2:39 AM

The good and the disappointing

Fantastic news about Google's huge expansion. Their emblem will look great on the top of the building.

Agreed that the bracing not extending the whole height of the building is very disappointing and frankly looks bad having it only at the top

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 2:06 PM

I don't think any of those would work in Midtown. While I love the idea of an H Mart within walking distance, giant stores don't exactly fit an urban context, and all of those stores have huge surface lots. Although Whole Foods is very large and it works fairly well for pedestrians, so what do I know.

Something like H Mart's "M2M" concept would be amazing.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I don't think any of those would work in Midtown. While I love the idea of an H Mart within walking distance, giant stores don't exactly fit an urban context, and all of those stores have huge surface lots.
We have an urban format H-Mart at Astor place in NYC, however, it is a dense neighborhood with lots of Asian people living in the area. I don't see this working anywhere in Midtown.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 2:55 PM

There’s also a few urban formats in Toronto. I’m surprised people don’t think a grocery would do well in Midtown.

Edit: whoops yeah Shivtim covered some of the options in Toronto. People’s minds need to move away from the big box store requirement. That’s simply not the case of what’s in practice elsewhere. Despite having big boxes in Gwinnett doesn’t mean we’d have the same in Midtown.
H Mart
703 Yonge St, Toronto, ON M4Y 2B2, Canada
+1 647-340-3500
https://goo.gl/maps/PLxnukXcaprGzaWW8

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
There’s also a few urban formats in Toronto. I’m surprised people don’t think a grocery would do well in Midtown.
The H-Mart here in NYC markets itself as the '#1 Asian supermarket' in North America, however, there is a very small Asian population in Midtown Atlanta comparatively. NYC has a very large Asian community south of East Village and near NYU. I believe grocery will do well in Midtown Atlanta, as seen by the Whole Foods and Publix, however, a store has to be realistic about the demographics they target. I walk by the H-Mart in Astor Square all the time, and nearly all the people I see walk into that place appear to be Asian, so I believe this store would likely aim to build their store in an area of Atlanta where there is a large population of their target demographic.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 4:36 PM

Midtown has a decent Asian population though, look at the success of Sweet Hut.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Midtown has a decent Asian population though, look at the success of Sweet Hut.
Also worth looking at demographic changes across metro Atlanta as well as in neighborhoods. Have to plan for the future and cultivate for the world you want. I think it’s realistic we have neighborhoods in Atlanta city proper that caters to the vast cultural backgrounds represented across the metro.

Besides all the working residents, have we lol looked at representation for Georgia Tech bachelors and masters student populations? International students were in the majority of masters students back almost a decade ago.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 5:52 PM

Also, while a healthy Asian population would suggest a good location for H Mart to build, it isn't the only population that would sustain the business. Go to any H Mart in Atlanta... people of all backgrounds love shopping there. I suspect a Midtown location would have a diverse clientele.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Also, while a healthy Asian population would suggest a good location for H Mart to build, it isn't the only population that would sustain the business. Go to any H Mart in Atlanta... people of all backgrounds love shopping there. I suspect a Midtown location would have a diverse clientele.
Absolutely agree. I live in Johns Creek, which has a sizeable Asian population. Our local Super H gets quite a bit of non-Asian traffic. In addition to the obvious pleasure of having access to their huge selection of Asian products, we also enjoy their excellent seafood department and their impressive produce section, which is a thing of beauty. Noticeably better prices, too.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
The H-Mart here in NYC markets itself as the '#1 Asian supermarket' in North America, however, there is a very small Asian population in Midtown Atlanta comparatively. NYC has a very large Asian community south of East Village and near NYU. I believe grocery will do well in Midtown Atlanta, as seen by the Whole Foods and Publix, however, a store has to be realistic about the demographics they target. I walk by the H-Mart in Astor Square all the time, and nearly all the people I see walk into that place appear to be Asian, so I believe this store would likely aim to build their store in an area of Atlanta where there is a large population of their target demographic.
I know a lot of Korean students at Georgia Tech and Georgia State who would love an H-Mart in midtown, that way they don't have to commute to the H-mart in Chamblee/Doraville or Duluth. I'm sure many of the Chinese and other Asian students would also appreciate it. Also if you go to the Korean groceries in Atlanta's metro area, you'll see a lot of non-Asians shopping there as well. I think the H-mart down in Riverdale by the airport has the fewest Asians shopping there.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 10:59 PM

That Google sign will have good visibility.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMZqrmRh54H/

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 3:01 PM
i ain't no bubba

The remaining crane is being lowered (hopefully without incident) today. I'll kinda of miss it.
They were playing with the lighting on the exoskeleton a few days back. It was similar to what they were doing on the parking deck braces several weeks ago. There will be no missing this on the skyline when its all plugged in.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 5:08 PM

Yesterday (April 5).

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 2:47 AM

Happy trails, crane. Thanks for the lift!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Wow! Great news!

Will this be where the Post Office is located or where they've been keeping construction materials for Phase 1?
look what I got in the mail this morning. Does have wrong address printed and should be W. Peachtree.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 9:18 PM

Nice, bring on that 40 story tower in its place!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Nice, bring on that 40 story tower in its place!
Yea, if you own that building there are only 2 plausible reasons not to extend a 100% secure lease. You are an idiot or you have a sell contract signed.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 1:36 AM

Has there been a proposal for the site?!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta