HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
IT HAS A PARKING GARAGE!!!!!!! Cue in the JJ rant. Haha.

All joking aside, it looks like a well done design. Appears to accommodate for retail along Portland and adds a good deal of density to the area. The linear park along Portland is going to look awesome once it is sandwiched by development.
Sigh. I would NEVER complain about a garage that is integrated into a project in such a seamless way; parking is a necessity in the Phoenix market, but I've refused to believe that standalone garages - no matter how "designed" they are with screens, foliage, etc. - are the only viable solution (see: the Roosevelt Pointe Garage, and possibly the Central Station one for horrendous ones).

This is an example of why I complain - because a project CAN have it all. This has height without sacrificing the pedestrian scale, it has ground level retail with shade that screens the parking garage, it has density... it's what we should want to see in every project. Portland, 3rd-3rd will be one of the few, truly urban and high class clusters in all of downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy
Pretty big investment by Lennar, looks like this should actually happen...

Quote:
Lennar buys downtown land from Israeli developer for $13M

An Israeli real estate investment firm has sold a long empty downtown Phoenix parcel to homebuilder Lennar Corp. for $12.75 million.

Lennar wants to build a 368-unit apartment complex at the property on the northwest corner of Central Avenue and McDowell Road.
The undeveloped land was owned by Africa-Israel USA. That group is an arm of Tel Aviv-based Africa Israel Investments Ltd, also known as AFI Group.

Lennar is a major U.S. home builder but is getting into apartment development including a new complex in Tempe.
AFI had previously talked about building 34-story condo tower on the McDowell-Central parcel. That was back in 2007 before the recession.
The property has been empty for years.

Mike Sunnucks writes about residential and commercial real estate, government, law, sports business and workplace issues.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...developer.html
Yuck. Can anyone confirm that the renderings posted here were the final versions and that no changes were requested at the design meeting? I can't believe after all this wait, that corner is getting a 4-story building with a parking lot fronting Central.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 10:38 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
IT HAS A PARKING GARAGE!!!!!!! Cue in the JJ rant. Haha.

All joking aside, it looks like a well done design. Appears to accommodate for retail along Portland and adds a good deal of density to the area. The linear park along Portland is going to look awesome once it is sandwiched by development.
Perhaps most importantly, it compliments but doesn't exactly match Portland Place Phase 1. Which will help make the area not look too monotonous.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 10:53 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Yuck. Can anyone confirm that the renderings posted here were the final versions and that no changes were requested at the design meeting? I can't believe after all this wait, that corner is getting a 4-story building with a parking lot fronting Central.
In March, it was four stories with 300 to 375 units, now they seem firm on 4-stories and 368 units. That is a significant lost opportunity to fill in the skyline hole between the Dial Soap building and downtown.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 11:32 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
I'm 50/50 on this one. Dentistry is one of the top growing industries and expected to continue that growth over the next 20-30 years, so this is definitely the type of facility that should be coming to Phoenix. Being a technical training school, I also like that it's located close to the Parks neighborhood, offering higher education to those who may not be able to afford/commit to an ASU-type institution.

OTOH, this building was already built out for use as a bar/restaurant, and it's close proximity to Chase and USAC made it the perfect spot for a nightlife venture. With this addition, Jackson Street essentially loses the chance at becoming even an after-game destination, as who is going to feel safe walking from 4th Street all the way to 1st Street and Cooperstown past the parking structure, Summit, open parking lots, this new training center, and abandoned structures? Jackson really should have been saved as a mixed use block with a primary focus on restaurants and bars, with a facility like this belonging more on one of the empty lots along Lincoln, IMO.

http://azbigmedia.com/featured/sched...staurant-space

The rendering looks hardly historic; it may as well be a new build. And, there is is plenty of room for new builds just south.
They are moving on this. I went by there yesterday after the Diamondbacks Select-a-Seat event (we moved down a row!) saw that the brick and iron fence was gone and the building on the corner of 3rd St. looked like it had been gutted.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post
In March, it was four stories with 300 to 375 units, now they seem firm on 4-stories and 368 units. That is a significant lost opportunity to fill in the skyline hole between the Dial Soap building and downtown.
I feel bad for all of the people who contribute to the myriad of plans put together that put on the ruse that the City actually cares about how it's planned and developed, especially along the light rail, and ESPECIALLY adjacent to stops. Why do they bother putting these plans together when perhaps the most prominent vacant lot in the city, adjacent to a light rail stop and cultural amenities that make up what they wish to become the "midtown museum districit," is allowed to front our main street with a large parking lot? Give me a break.

These committees and plans and groups and everything else are a complete joke. I get it - 3 towers as originally proposed isn't sustainable in this market - but 4 stories? That's not sustainable in the sense that our inner city residential developments should be as dense as possible. Blocks away, Portland on the Park is doing a project with 14, 12 and 4 (I believe) story buildings; I love that. 4 stories nearest 1st Ave and the neighborhoods, 12 stories as an overall base with penthouses reaching 13/14 in areas would've been amazing for this lot.

4 stories is simply a joke. The 1 square mile suburb I grew up in outside NYC had higher apartments. Can't wait to hear about their amazing retail offering: a LEASING CENTER (oooh! aaah!) and a FITNESS CENTER (but, wait, it's only for residents). Mixed use density at its finest.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
They are moving on this. I went by there yesterday after the Diamondbacks Select-a-Seat event (we moved down a row!) saw that the brick and iron fence was gone and the building on the corner of 3rd St. looked like it had been gutted.
With that much demo work being done, seriously - why not just construct a new building on either the SW corner, or the SW corner next to Summit if they really wanted to be on Jackson? There's also a huge warehouse for lease on Lincoln/3rd as part of the Ballpark Apartments project that could've been used.

It's sad to see a historic structure gutted, and to see one of the few nightlife ventures we had on Jackson converted to a 9-5 business.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 5:35 PM

The Dupont Circle Apartments at Washington and 44th are coming along well. The concrete interior garage is finished and they are working on the residential units that surround the garage. The building appears as if it will be built up close to the street.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 10:52 AM

Pretty slow here, so I'll cave...I've seen a couple pics of the DeSoto Market coming along nicely. Now if Metrowest gets their sheit together it would nice to have the gateway to the arts district via light rail materialize. It bothers me that so many businesses flock to Roosevelt Row and there's still a lack of mid-rise development anywhere in the district to make any significant changes. It's still the same low-slung, treeless, and vacant-lot infested place I first visited, albeit it's sloooooooooowly getting somewhere.

Also, rumor has it, Fez is moving into the old Portlands space.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Pretty slow here, so I'll cave...I've seen a couple pics of the DeSoto Market coming along nicely. Now if Metrowest gets their sheit together it would nice to have the gateway to the arts district via light rail materialize. It bothers me that so many businesses flock to Roosevelt Row and there's still a lack of mid-rise development anywhere in the district to make any significant changes. It's still the same low-slung, treeless, and vacant-lot infested place I first visited, albeit it's sloooooooooowly getting somewhere.

Also, rumor has it, Fez is moving into the old Portlands space.
Agreed; Roosevelt will never be much more of a row of quirky shops and niche galleries that appeal to a very low portion of the population until at least some of the lots of the lots are developed into 4-5 story mixed use buildings with lofts, cafes, more accessible galleries (i.e., not studios) and boutique shopping.

Is FEZ opening a 2nd location or moving the original? A huge loss for midtown if it's moving completely, though it is a great fit for the area. Midtown is its own bleeding sector of the center city; not sure what can save it at this point if 3-story buildings are going up on lots like McDowell/Central.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 6:12 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Is FEZ opening a 2nd location or moving the original?
It's a relocation from Midtown to Downtown coming at the time the original site's lease is up. If it's any consolation, though, I believe the same owners are working on a new spot called "Corduroy" next to Switch in Midtown. It's the site at Central and Virginia where a Schlotzsky's franchise used to be.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 7:00 PM

That Schlotzsky's building is awesome. A brick relic in midtown. I hope they make it nice. Too bad there is a GIANT billboard directly next to the outside of the building mostly hiding it from the street.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 12:30 AM

Agreed that the Durant's/Switch building is beautiful and heinously disguised by that billboard; so 'Phoenix,' isn't it?

Torn on the whole FEZ shake-up. I liked its current location and there seemed to be a good distance between the good happy hour/brunch locations: Bliss, Vig, Switch, FEZ, Maizie's, Hula's, etc. Without a nightlife scene downtown, that's kind of the best to hope for.

Hanny's has seemed to reach the mainstream market, but FEZ and Bliss definitely skew to a certain demo and I just don't know how downtown can support both ventures without a 'something' to do afterwards. The glory days of the Amsterdam strip are sorely missed and the low-slung holdouts along Central need to be converted ASAP into dance halls/nightclubs/after hour bars.

As for Corduroy going in next to Switch, I have similar concerns that they'll be competing for the same business. It will either create a nice cluster with a fun synergy, or drive one out of commission. At this point, I want to know which of the residential proposals are real and get them started for Christ's sake. If downtown is getting more residents, I almost lean toward taking Switch and Corduroy and having them open in Portland on the Park, leaving Midtown for business and daytime eateries, and then transitioning back into the brunch/happy hour places uptown. It's like - either cluster and create some special districts, or spread out along the light rail... but clustering 1-2 in random places while creating ghost towns just seems to be the worst option. Like I said, I'm torn, though. I really think it depends on when/where/if residential ever gets developed because Midtown really needs Muse, Edison, ArtHAUS, etc. to gain a pulse.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 1:38 AM

Has construction started on the marriot hotel or Portland place yet? Does construction usually follow after building permits posted?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:59 AM

I saw that serious exterior demolition has started for the Marriott. Can someone tell me, generally, does ground up construction start soon after demolition? Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 4:45 AM

Dupont Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
The Dupont Circle Apartments at Washington and 44th are coming along well. The concrete interior garage is finished and they are working on the residential units that surround the garage. The building appears as if it will be built up close to the street.
You mean 48th st. & Washington correct?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 8:55 AM

I hadn't seen these other angles before for the development on 4th St/McKinley. Overall, I like what I see and only wish that it extended all the way south to meet Skyline. It's a shame that both complexes will be surrounded by empty lots and the Mariposa Bank building.

I love the addition of the live/work units along both 4th and McKinley - certainly helps make up for the loss of artist space, and kudos for using the alleyway for the majority of parking purposes.

5 stories is still a little low, but overall, this is one of the few developments I'm really crossing my fingers for - the others being Union and Portland on the Park. I would also include Cooper Place given the location, but haven't heard a peep on that front in quite some time.

http://www.studioms.com/portfolio/mi...ley-apartments

Also, sounds like Lux Coffee made its way through some difficulties in permitting and is on its way toward filling in the empty lot between Portland-Roosevelt, along 1st Street. A 2-story structure for Lux and the owner's home will be built adjacent to the new Yoga place that they also own. Nice infill news.

http://downtowndevil.com/2014/10/22/...-new-location/

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 3:41 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
You mean 48th st. & Washington correct?
Negative. The West entrance is off of 44th St, while the North and South entrances are on 45th St of both Washington and Van Buren. 48th St. is nearly 1 mile to the East.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 3:56 PM

Quote:
5 stories is still a little low, but overall, this is one of the few developments I'm really crossing my fingers for - the others being Union and Portland on the Park. I would also include Cooper Place given the location, but haven't heard a peep on that front in quite some time.

http://www.studioms.com/portfolio/mi...ley-apartments
Yea I mean, 5 stories isn't ideal, but I wouldn't expect much more in that area. I guess it is a little bit south of Roosevelt Row, so maybe 10-12 would be more expected, but I won't complain about the new residents and density. Looks like a nice little infill. Is this just a proposal or is this actually moving?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 4:02 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Negative. The West entrance is off of 44th St, while the North and South entrances are on 45th St of both Washington and Van Buren. 48th St. is nearly 1 mile to the East.
Not that it matters, and Washington does jog south a little bit as it heads east, but the distance between 45th St and 48th St should be less than 1/2 mile.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Yea I mean, 5 stories isn't ideal, but I wouldn't expect much more in that area. I guess it is a little bit south of Roosevelt Row, so maybe 10-12 would be more expected, but I won't complain about the new residents and density. Looks like a nice little infill. Is this just a proposal or is this actually moving?
The reason for all the businesses in the SoRo building have packed up and moved elsewhere is for the buildings demolition in December and the construction of this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest