HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Is it safe to assume DXB, or do they have any minihub somewhere in Europe, in the way that, say, HKG or HNL serve as defacto minihubs for UA?
Actually, yes it is, EK does have 1 main hub in DXB. UA does have 9 hub is CLE, EWR, ORD, IAD, DEN, SFO, LAX, NRT, and IAH. SEA, HNL, FLL, BOS and GUN is a focus cities.

EK does have a 4 minihub in SIN, SYD, MEL, BKK.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
I have been watching the UA 787 this week come in. It already swapped out to a 767 due to technical problems on I think 2 days. Here is the schedule:

UA1553 IAHORD 720A 951A 788
UA1510 ORDIAH 1121A 206P 788
Nice of you to post that, F1 Tommy. But what does the 787 do sitting there in Houston between 3pm and 7am every afternoon and night? (No other routes, I'm assuming.) Do UA/Boeing techs swarm the plane with stethoscopes to check out all kinds of things?

Also, I remember reading that the above schedule applies only for about a month - does this 787 get deployed on an intercontinental route after that?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Nice of you to post that, F1 Tommy. But what does the 787 do sitting there in Houston between 3pm and 7am every afternoon and night? (No other routes, I'm assuming.) Do UA/Boeing techs swarm the plane with stethoscopes to check out all kinds of things?

Also, I remember reading that the above schedule applies only for about a month - does this 787 get deployed on an intercontinental route after that?
Well they should have 5 787's in December, so we should see international routes start next month from another hub. They already have more than one 787. They do have alot of down time built into the schedule since this is really still operational route proving.

If you want tons of info on the 787's go to this website under their forum area:

www.airliners.net

Those geeks will fill you in with more information then you ever dreamed you needed!!!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 8:38 PM

Confirmation of Austrian Airlines return to ORD. Sorry it is in German.

http://dmm.travel/news/artikel/lesen...chigago-46468/

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nergie View Post
Confirmation of Austrian Airlines return to ORD. Sorry it is in German.

http://dmm.travel/news/artikel/lesen...chigago-46468/
5x weekly on a 767 to start. OK I guess I was off by a little bit.

Next up: Emirates.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
5x weekly on a 767 to start. OK I guess I was off by a little bit.

Next up: Emirates.
Wait for official release from EK. We will find out soon enough.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 4:43 AM

any indication on when the elgin-o'hare will be extended out to o'hare (replacing thorndale)?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 4:29 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago29 View Post
any indication on when the elgin-o'hare will be extended out to o'hare (replacing thorndale)?
The Tollway will spend $771 million next year primarily on two projects: the widening and reconstruction of the Jane Addams (I-90) from O'Hare to Rockford, and the beginning stages of the Elgin-O'Hare West Bypass project. I'm fairly certain that this also includes the north and south leg of the new road that will be constructed along the western edge of the airport, connecting it up to 90 to the north, and 294 to the south.

At that time, the Elgin-O'Hare in its entirety will be converted into a toll road.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 2:24 PM

Pakistan Int. Airlines is once again starting ORD service from Karachi next summer with a stopover in Barcelona. The route did not operate this year.

Last edited by Kngkyle; Nov 22, 2012 at 2:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 2:48 AM
Chicagoland Runaway

More Elgin-O'Hare related news:

Green light ahead for new Elgin-O'Hare West Bypass
Plan calls for new route around airport, converting expressway into tollway

-- Richard Wronski, Chicago Tribune

Quote:
State transportation officials have signed off on a specific route for a new tollway that skirts the western boundary of O'Hare International Airport but doesn't stop there.

The proposed Elgin-O'Hare West Bypass would connect with a longer and wider Elgin-O'Hare Expressway, which would become a toll road.

If the federal government gives the project the green light next month, as expected, the way would be paved for construction to start next year, officials said ...
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5215265.story

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 3:21 AM

What's the point of making the current Elgin-ohare a toll road; besides making money?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 9:05 AM
TL;DR

The new segments alone will not pay for themselves through tolling, so additional revenue is needed.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 3:41 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
What's the point of making the current Elgin-ohare a toll road; besides making money?
You pretty much hit the nail right on the head with that one. TBH, whenever I'm out that way (Roselle), I usually use either Lake St., Irving Park Rd. or Nerge Rd. to travel locally, or travel east on Lake until I hit 290/355 at Rt. 53 and avoid the Elgin-O'Hare altogether. I only ever use it when I'm driving SB on 290 from Schaumburg and want to access Roselle Rd. a few minutes faster.

I think some people are going to realize this too, and some new arterial congestion will result from converting the entire length into a toll road. To that end, I already know from experience how much hate Itasca and IDOT recieved when they proposed converting Irving Park into a 4-lane road from just west of Catalpa over to Prospect, just to accomodate more traffic. (hint: they never accomplished it)

My hope is that the toll along this existing length will not be prohibitive so as to encourage a boat load of drivers to seek out alternative routes to and from 290. Of course, the West Bypass is principally for those drivers looking for a fast, easy route to O'Hare from the west, and another connection between 90/294, creating a continuous loop around the airport.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 1:39 AM
TL;DR

People further west in Elgin and Bartlett use the expressway to get to O'Hare or to 355/294. In its current form it doesn't have much use, but when it is extended further east it should become much more heavily-trafficked.

I don't understand why they didn't include the west extension in this project, which would extend the Elgin-Ohare 1/2 mile west around Hanover Park to a direct connection with Lake.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 11:19 PM

United's 747s at ORD

I read that United will shortly fly the 777 to Hong Kong and Tokyo from ORD instead of the 747. Does this mean United has no more scheduled 747 service to ORD?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbud View Post
I read that United will shortly fly the 777 to Hong Kong and Tokyo from ORD instead of the 747. Does this mean United has no more scheduled 747 service to ORD?
Yes, all 747 will fly another route. The 747 will fly out from LAX, SFO, IAD, NRT & HNL as well.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:56 PM

It is sort of sad that Chicago is slowly losing most of their 747 service with UAL's news and BA only having 777s at ORD next year. From a passenger standpoint I think only Korean, Lufthansa and KLM will have 747 service. I hope Lufthansa and Korean will introduce the 747-800 service soon. It is also strange that Chicago doesn't have any planned A380 service, especially since markets like Miami, Washington, Houston, SFO and ATL (at least planned) have A380 service.

At least Chicago is growing lately with a lot of new int'l carriers coming into town.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbud View Post
It is sort of sad that Chicago is slowly losing most of their 747 service with UAL's news and BA only having 777s at ORD next year. From a passenger standpoint I think only Korean, Lufthansa and KLM will have 747 service. I hope Lufthansa and Korean will introduce the 747-800 service soon. It is also strange that Chicago doesn't have any planned A380 service, especially since markets like Miami, Washington, Houston, SFO and ATL (at least planned) have A380 service.

At least Chicago is growing lately with a lot of new int'l carriers coming into town.
Why is it sad?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 11:15 PM

We will still have plenty of 747's at ORD if you count cargo. You can see 7-10 747's on the ground at any time of day at ORD. Key part of the UA 747 statement...They will be closing the UA 747 base. You will still see UA 747's at ORD. Just not as many.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
They will be closing the UA 747 base. You will still see UA 747's at ORD. Just not as many.
Not entirely correct, for the foreseeable future there will be no scheduled 747 departures from ORD. The purpose of these moves are to improve fleet reliability by concentrating them at a single hub (SFO). The only planned exception will be LAX-SYD.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation