HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 6:12 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
People didn't permanently move out of cities because restaurants were closed for a couple of months.
Of course not for that alone but when you add up everything then they do.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 6:15 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
The only time I've had trash pick-up issues here in Chicago over the past 2 years was last February when we got a 19" snowstorm that made the alleys impassable for the garbage trucks for several days, so things got backed up a bit and it took another week or so to get back on track. That was 100% not covid related.

Restaurants around me are all open and have been for a long time now.

And most importantly, my kids have been back in school (the actual school BUILDING, not that remote "learning" crap) since the start of this school year! Allah, Buddha, Jesus, I love you all!!!!!!!!!!

Other than wearing masks in many indoor public places, my urban life is really no different now than it was in the before times.
You are lucky. But I have found Chicago to be much cleaner than Philly and they seem to take a lot of pride in the area looking nice.

Even DC's immediate 'burbs (Fairfax County, VA) were having trash pickup issues:

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/worker-s...up-in-virginia

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 6:20 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

on our way back to 500,000, great. we can turn the 100,000 units built in DC in the last 15 years into homeless shelters, so win-win.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 7:46 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
They don't care in NYC either. A lot of people who live here keep their cars registered in other states.
I can see that; NYPD have other things to do that bust peoples' balls about out of state plates and/ or lapsed registrations. Go Upstate though and five seconds after you lapse, cops come out of the woodworks. I was pulled over driving down the street and a trooper saw from the other side of the street noticing mine was overdue and ticked me. And NY registration stickers have tiny print.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 8:19 PM

The 2020 census showed the 2020 ACS estimates for cities were garbage, and massively underestimated the population growth of most major cities.

Now everyone is taking the 2021 ACS estimates as gospel.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 8:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Now everyone is taking the 2021 ACS estimates as gospel.
Define "everyone".

I haven't put much stock in CB estimates for over 20 years now.

They are simply terrible at estimating big messy urban cities that have shitloads of people churn.

That said, DC might have indeed lost 3% of its population from 2020 to 2021, but maybe it lost less, or more, or maybe it even gained people. A CB estimate is merely one data point, and one with a pretty bad track record when it comes to big cities.

Mounds of salt......

Old Posted Dec 24, 2021, 6:20 PM

Isn't DC an extremely transient transplant city? It's not hard to believe that many people just went back to their home towns. And it's the risk that comes with cities like this where most people don't have solid roots there. But I'm sure it'll get most of this population back in the next few years.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2021, 4:30 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Yeah, definitely knew about getting CA license plates right away. Still have the paperwork. Like you I wondered how they knew you've been living there. Meanwhile, TX gives zero fucks. I drove around for almost a year with NH plates and they expired a few months before I got my TX plates. About a 1/4 of cars I see here have lapsed registrations.
My significant other has lived in San Francisco since 1997 and still has Florida plates and driver's license. He does have a condo in Florida though.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2021, 3:01 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Isn't DC an extremely transient transplant city? It's not hard to believe that many people just went back to their home towns. And it's the risk that comes with cities like this where most people don't have solid roots there. But I'm sure it'll get most of this population back in the next few years.
It is, but I have seen more roots being planted as the years go on. It's a fair point to explore but many people are there for the government work and you won't find that culture elsewhere. So yeah temporary relocations maybe? Time will tell.

I would like to know how many left just the District's limits or the metro entirely, that would be an interesting stat to see.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
It is, but I have seen more roots being planted as the years go on. It's a fair point to explore but many people are there for the government work and you won't find that culture elsewhere. So yeah temporary relocations maybe? Time will tell.

I would like to know how many left just the District's limits or the metro entirely, that would be an interesting stat to see.
I’d also be curious to see the demographics (specifically income) of who left and from which wards. If I were lower income - I’d likely want to move to MD or VA and make DC wages or maybe there were more opportunities for service workers in the suburbs?

It’d be interesting to see more data. And compare it to other cities I mean. Comparing 68 sq. Miles to other states really skews the numbers.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions