HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 6:18 PM

Your cities best Pizzeria?

This is really just a ploy to gain info on Chicago pizzerias for when I visit this spring, but it would be fun to see what else is out there.

For Jersey City, Razza gets a lot of hype.
https://www.nj.com/food/2019/10/jersey-city-is-quickly-becoming-njs-pizza-capital-but-where-should-you-eat.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/dining/razza-pizza-review-jersey-city.html
https://www.yelp.com/biz/razza-pizza...-jersey-city-2

In Atlanta, I like Jake's Pizza It's a shaddy dive, but they ell by the slice and the drinks are cold.
https://atlanta.eater.com/maps/best-pizza-atlanta
https://www.yelp.com/biz/jacks-pizza...ings-atlanta-2

In New Orleans, my favorite is Dominica in the Roosevelt Hotel.
https://www.gayot.com/restaurants/best-neworleans-la-top10-pizza_18no.html
https://www.yelp.com/biz/domenica-new-orleans

Last edited by C.; Dec 17, 2021 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 6:39 PM

Pizzeria Napoletana on Dante street in Montreal’s Little Italy is pretty good.

Montreal pizza places usually owned by Greeks for a long time are now oftentimes run by Afghans or Syrians, etc…

The pies are heavy on the mozza and toppings.

There is a chain here that does a good job of paring down but doing a tasty pie; Pizzédelic. First date with my wife was in one of their restos.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Montreal pizza places usually owned by Greeks for a long time are now oftentimes run by Afghans or Syrians, etc…

The pies are heavy on the mozza and toppings.
AHA! Another city like this! It seems like half the pizza joints in Pittsburgh are Greek or Middle-Eastern owned, which has always been fascinating to me. I haven't really seen this anywhere else and they pump out some pretty unique (and good) pizzas. Gotta check out Montreal's pizza now and see if it's similar.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 7:23 PM

Pizza in Philadelphia: The Ultimate Guide
Article:
https://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/be...-philadelphia/

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 7:38 PM

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 7:45 PM

There is no shortage of Chicago pizza lists. . . maybe you want to look at this?

https://www.chicagopizzatours.com/

. . .

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 7:52 PM

Ahh good. Everyone's favorite polarizing topic! Portlands best pizzeria is Escape from New York. Its the Portland CBGBs of tomato sauce and watery pop. Its totally good tho. It was the city's first by the slice pizza shop too. A novel idea in 1983.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
There is no shortage of Chicago pizza lists. . . maybe you want to look at this?

https://www.chicagopizzatours.com/

. . .
Hmm.. what a business idea!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
AHA! Another city like this! It seems like half the pizza joints in Pittsburgh are Greek or Middle-Eastern owned, which has always been fascinating to me. I haven't really seen this anywhere else and they pump out some pretty unique (and good) pizzas. Gotta check out Montreal's pizza now and see if it's similar.
Lol. Yes. I would like to check out PittsaBurgo’s Pizza joints too.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 8:49 PM
Dryer lint inspector

This place right here (Utica NY):

Famous for their upside down Sicilian style:

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 8:51 PM

Wow, that Utica pizza looks good.

Looks like L&B Spumoni Gardens in Bensonhurst, which has epic squares.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 9:12 PM
No grabbing my banana!

I recently went on a Dave Portnoy-style taste test of 3 nearby pizzerias around my office in the Queensboro Plaza - northern LIC area (or maybe the south tip of Astoria by Northern Blvd? Honestly not sure what to call my office's neighborhood). Slices only. Unlike Dave, I consider the whole slice and not just one bite.

The first two places were ok, but nothing great. One place was better than the other mainly because they cooked the crust throughout. The other place had a somewhat undercooked outer crust, though the bottom of the slice was fine.

The clear winner was Goodfellas LIC on 40th Ave & 27 St. Excellent crust throughout, and lots of gooey cheese compared with the other two places. It's not like the other places skimped on cheese, but rather that that Goodfellas had a lot more.

Speaking of Dave Portnoy, he recently gave Luigi's in South Slope, Brooklyn one of his highest "one bite" scores yet. I used to work one block from Luigi's, and I am ambivalent about this review. Luigi's is mainly known for their dough which ferments in their fridge for several days. From a crust flavor and texture POV, it is fantastic. The crust has a really unique flavor from the multi-day ferment.

But from a hunger-satiating POV, and from my kind of slice idealogy, I don't love Luigi's at all. If you're a decently big eater, you can eat 4 slices of Luigi's slices and still remain hungry. The slices are very thin, but hold up wonderfully because the the crust. For me, I don't like super thin-crust pizzas. My ideal slice is reasonably thick, but not so thick so as to make the slice doughy and taste undercooked.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 9:16 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Wow, that Utica pizza looks good.

Looks like L&B Spumoni Gardens in Bensonhurst, which has epic squares.
The square pizzas at L&B Spumoni Gardens are truly unique. The crust is simultaneously substantial yet airy. I have yet to try another pizza like it.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 9:29 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Next time I am in New York, I know have an excuse to hit up Brooklyn. I've only ever had upside down style in Utica (there are several pizza joints who do this up there).

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 9:33 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Next time I am in New York, I know have an excuse to hit up Brooklyn. I've only ever had upside down style in Utica (there are several pizza joints who do this up there).
I love that Joe's uses backwards Zs in their name.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 9:33 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
This is really just a ploy to gain info on Chicago pizzerias for when I visit this spring, but it would be fun to see what else is out there.
Chicago is famous for deep dish/stuffed, but there's also tavern style (thin cracker crust, cut in small squares). Deep dish is easy to get downtown, but the best tavern style usually requires a trip to the city's outer neighborhoods so it's understandable why tourists don't get it much. Regardless of style, it seems a lot of Chicagoans enjoy pizza that is well-done, with lots of chewy scorched mozzarella.

Pequods is a great place for deep dish, they have a unique caramelized crust with sauce on the spicier side, and the Lincoln Park location isn't too hard to reach for visitors. They're also famous for long waits, so keep that in mind. Apart from that, I genuinely like Lou Malnati's even though it's a chain. There are several locations around downtown.

If you want to try tavern style without schlepping out to the far reaches of Mayfair or Ashburn, and you're staying near downtown, then delivery is your best option. Pats Pizza in South Loop and Petes Pizza in Bridgeport both offer delivery of tavern-style pizza to downtown. They're pretty much delivery-only places, so you can't really dine there. Pizza Fried Chicken Ice Cream in Bridgeport also offers this style of pizza, but it's more of an homage to tavern style than the real deal. They lean heavily into the well-done aspect.

My personal favorite is neither deep dish nor tavern style, but bakery style... it is similar to Sicilian pizza or what New Yorkers call "grandma style pizza". D'Amatos on Grand is close to downtown and serves this style, but since it's a small bakery you must eat it on the street, or they have sidewalk tables in summertime. A D'Amatos slice fresh out the oven with some cold iced tea and a cannoli to finish is an experience that can't be beat.

Last edited by ardecila; Dec 17, 2021 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 10:03 PM

The best pizza in my hometown (San Francisco) was a deep dish place called Zachary's. There are now a few others in the area (e.g. Patixi's) that do a similar thing.

The best pizza I've had in Seattle, so far, is this place called Pagliacci, which is basically just a local chain.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 10:09 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
The best pizza in my hometown (San Francisco) was a deep dish place called Zachary's. There are now a few others in the area (e.g. Patixi's) that do a similar thing.

The best pizza I've had in Seattle, so far, is this place called Pagliacci, which is basically just a local chain.
Have you tried Serious Pie?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 10:18 PM

No. Is that in San Francisco?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 10:26 PM

I don't know what the best place in LA to get pizza is, and people from other parts of the US seem to love to complain about LA pizza anyway, but two of a number of places I like are:

Wood...

Photo by me

And Ugo:

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions