HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 5:58 PM

I used to frequently see the NYPD mounted unit in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, when the bars/clubs got out.

This was generally pre-2010, before I got married and had a kid, but come 3-4 AM, there were definitely mounted patrols in the LES.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 6:00 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

the nypd mounted cops come around w14th street by us fairly regularly. like once a month.

t might be mostly for pr down here, or for the meatpacking area hooligans, i dk.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 6:30 PM

I might recall the mounted units on W 21st more clearly because it was always just in that half block near 6th Ave, and could be seen just about any time I was in that area at 4am. It makes sense that they're also in the LES and Meatpacking.

I'm not often out that late anymore, and almost never in an area that would need mounted patrols at 4am. Do people even still go to nightclubs? lol

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 7:00 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i've only ever regularly seen chicago's mounted unit at major downtown events for crowd control purposes (parades, protests, taste of chicago, blues fest, etc.).

i've never seen them just rambling down a neighborhood street on a random tuesday afternoon or anything like that.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 7:05 PM
The City

^ I've seen them patrol the Mag Mile on regular days

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 7:11 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i see them here occasionally, but regularly riding around random manhattan neighborhoods. just for variety and for pr i would assume.

come to think of it, same in los angeles --i have a pic of la mounted riding down abbott-kinney the main drag in venice in a photo thread. i think they are on the boardwalk too. makes sense around there.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 11:13 PM

San Francisco has mounted cops too (the horses are stabled in the Presidio I believe) but a lot of cities do. More unusual are

Fireboats

which have their own fire station

Source above images: https://www.firerescue1.com/firefigh...9UPw0J65A4qhP/

Less noticeable are these circles in intersections in much of the northeastern part of town:

Underneath each circle is a cistern full of water:

Source images: https://medium.com/@UpOutSF/here-s-w...t-99b5c468e8e0

Both the fireboats and the cisterns date their origins to the earthquake of 1906 when the city's water mains ruptured and there was no water to fight fires. Now the fireboats are capable not just of spraying water in the air but pumping water from the Bay quite far inland. And where they may not be able to pump, there are the underground tanks full of water.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
San Francisco has mounted cops too (the horses are stabled in the Presidio I believe) but a lot of cities do. More unusual are

Fireboats

which have their own fire station
New York also has fire boats. Some were used to help evacuate people from Manhattan during 9/11. The NYPD also has patrol boats.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
New York also has fire boats. Some were used to help evacuate people from Manhattan during 9/11. The NYPD also has patrol boats.
Yes, I know. Probably a few others cities do too, but far more have mounted cops than have fireboats.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
NYC has a full blown army pretty much.

They do have 1000's of ticket mosquitos. The one's that give you those Orange envelopes for everything related to parking. And they come out of nowhere. You could park in a far flung section of Queens, and your like, there's no one here.... no one at all... WRONG... they are there, and they will give you a ticket within 2 minutes of leaving your car.

As a side note, I once successfully fought a parking ticket a few years ago after parking overnight in a bus lane. I can't remember why I didn't move my car in time, but I got a ticket. I successfully fought it because the sign for the are said no standing, but did not say no parking. Then, when I went to City Island later that morning to take pictures, I found a place where they had a sign saying no standing on one side, and no parking on the other side. So my argument was that standing was considered different than parking if he city had distinctive signs on each side. The ticket was thrown out after submitting my case online. I was quite proud of myself for that!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 4:28 AM
devout Pizzatarian

The Chicago Fire Department has a dedicated fireboat, the Christopher Wheatley

Source: wikipedia

The vessel was designed specifically to function in an environment like Chicago, where she is required to navigate shallow rivers, and pass under low bridges. She's also capable of mild ice breaking work (up to 30" thick) to help keep the river open in the winter months.

The CPD also has a marine unit with a handful of smaller boats used to patrol the lake and river.

Source: wikipedia

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 4, 2022 at 4:54 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 4:15 PM

I've seen Chicago cops riding ATVs before. . .

. . . although maybe they should do more walking on the beat!

. . .

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 6:04 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ that one is on the way to the donut shop.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions