HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 1:49 PM

Is it too late to name the short, squatter portion of this building, The Hardy? (I’ll see myself out)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
Is it too late to name the short, squatter portion of this building, The Hardy? (I’ll see myself out)
That's another fine mess you've gotten us into.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 1:26 AM

Old Posted Mar 13, 2022, 2:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Mar 13, 2022, 3:11 PM
Chris

The crown definitely adds some flair to the overall appearance.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2022, 4:28 PM

chris08876 that's a helluva shot! South Street Bridge? The Laurel makes a massive impact from that angle.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 3:20 PM

Imo the Laurel destroyed the South Street Bridge view. Any other perspective I'm ok with

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Imo the Laurel destroyed the South Street Bridge view. Any other perspective I'm ok with
Destroyed? I don't agree with that at all. Chris' photo clearly shows you can capture 1 and 2 liberty fine. Looks great. If anything 2200 Market is hampering the view.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 8:31 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Destroyed? I don't agree with that at all. Chris' photo clearly shows you can capture 1 and 2 liberty fine. Looks great. If anything 2200 Market is hampering the view.
…and anyway, were development sites predicated on preserving viewsheds of existing skyscrapers, what a fine mind-boggling mess that would be.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 1:57 PM

I don't think the Laurel destroys the South Street Bridge view at all; if anything it helps it because it gives it depth because now we can still see Liberty One and Liberty Two but measure the distance of the towers better with the Laurel there. If the Laurel were taller; say maybe 900 feet then they would damage the view possibly but at 604 it I don't think it does especially if you come further away from downtown such as when you drive I-76 into Philadelphia from the Stadiums.

Another grand circumstance the Laurel gives aside from depth is the face that it is largely the farthest south any skyscraper is like to be built aside from Broad Street because everything south of the Laurel is residential so as new towers are built; say in Schuylkill Yards, or even the old Mandeville site or the Science Center 10, 20, even 30 years out; the skyline will go westward and eastward to Penn's Landing but Liberty One and Liberty Two won't be overshadowed in the skyline even if taller buildings come because they'll be situated on different axis.

At my age I don't know where I'll be in the coming decades but we'll see if I'm around and if this will be right.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 2:34 PM

Yeah, I never understood why people care about preserving viewpoints. Viewpoints can and should change with time as neighborhoods grow and develop. This is a welcome change and I'm looking forward to more buildings "destroying" our cherished viewpoints.

Back to reality, how does this thing look on the ground? Design-wise, I think that's where this tower's strength lies and I'm eager to see how that's progressing along Walnut and Sansom.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Yeah, I never understood why people care about preserving viewpoints. Viewpoints can and should change with time as neighborhoods grow and develop. This is a welcome change and I'm looking forward to more buildings "destroying" our cherished viewpoints.

Back to reality, how does this thing look on the ground? Design-wise, I think that's where this tower's strength lies and I'm eager to see how that's progressing along Walnut and Sansom.
I don't have any recent pictures, but they absolutely knocked it out of the park with the rebuild of the Rittenhouse Coffee shop. It looks great.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 3:11 PM
Chris

^ I wonder if Equinox plans to open by the end of this year?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post

I'm sure it'll turn out nice. It looks nice so far so no reason to think it won't.

As for different viewpoints of building don't read to much into it; hey, different people like different thinks. What you value others won't and what other value, you or I won't; when you live in a cosmopolitan city this is we see so there what have it. Reality is very large cities have different people who like different things and that my friend makes a big city so attractive.

For Philadelphia, its a city of tradition; that is in reality a part of it's charm and if it wasn't we'd probably be a city more like New York City where mostly nothing is preserved so I guess viewpoints of building comes into play on that line of thinking. What I do know scientifically is that skylines seem to have an affect on how people in cities see themselves; the degree of happiness they feel and studies are done for it as well as it actually can sell a city if done right.

Last edited by JohnIII; Mar 15, 2022 at 3:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 7:56 PM

I believe the last row of glass is finally going up

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 1:57 AM

Today:

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 8:41 PM
Fishtown & Country

3/18

balcony detail-

Old Posted Mar 19, 2022, 2:18 PM
Chris

The crown makes the building look a lot better.

Great photos in all the threads!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 8:19 PM

Wow, it really towers over the surrounding neighborhoods. Great shots!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 7:13 PM

Southern Land Company states on their Instagram that The Laurel is 50% sold

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive