HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 22, 2010, 12:47 PM
dream fast

It's almost approved, but won't look like this.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....r-wrigley.html

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 3:48 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Hyatt Clark/Addison proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Get a spine people. When this project is completed everybody here will be wondering why in the world they bitched and moaned about a handful of nondescript facades coming down. This project is an all around plus for the neighborhood. Nobody is going to miss a couple old brick walls and what they contained inside. And nobody is gonna look at the completed project and think 'gosh what a waste, I wish we could have the old corner back.'
I have little use for what is there now other other then the three story stone on Addison but for reasons that Hayward pointed out well I would just appreciate if the street wall would be broken up a bit (and not in a faux manner as is so often done) to reflect a bit of the diversity, not necessarily the style, of the buildings across on the west side of the street. Hopefully the store/restaurant fronts will be built with retractable windows to allow for open air dining like at Red Ivy given this is one of the most positive attributes of the present streetscape.

Whatever one thinks about the team or the yahoos that frequent the ballpark the fact is that I think its the second most visited destination in the city outside of downtown. It would be real nice to get this done right and have it be quality as opposed to at best adequate design. Whether one laments the fact or not this immediate area is perhaps the most routine neighborhood face that is shown to visitors so some thought about what not only neighborhood but the largest city want it to represent should be in consideration. It doesn't have to critically acclaimed or progressive design by any means but hopefully it would be thoughtfully proportioned, non-banal, and balanced.

I would also think it would be much improved when Wrigleyville Sports submits and I assume that they can buy that out to replace it with a courtyard or restaurant. All in all I think the development is a net win even if flawed especially compared to the original proposal.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
All in all I think the development is a net win even if flawed especially compared to the original proposal.
I think this is possibly the most important statements in this entire discussion.

People forget the fact that this development has changed significantly since the originally proposed design, due largely to opposition from the neighborhood. Then, when the thing is scaled back, dumbed down and PoMo'd for the NIMBYs, people complain about the "malling of Wrigleyville".

So to those hating on the current design: what do you expect when plans are being pulled in 10 different directions due to objections from people who are going to be pissed about any plan that gets proposed?

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 4:01 PM
dream fast

Before Wrigley there was
West Side Park Cubs vs Sox 1909

http://www.hellochicago.com/Photos_Panoramic.Cfm

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 12:04 AM

So I tried searching online for more information on these projects but I had a hard time finding anything. Is there an estimated timeline for these projects? I love the idea of a hotel right across from Wrigley and honestly that is something that has been needed for a long time. I also really love the retail portion of the project located along Clark St. I think both would really enhance the neighborhood and I personally can't see why people are so opposed to it. Yes it is change, but change isn't always a bad thing. And right now Wrigley and the surrounding area is looking very dated, and not in a good way! I also wasnt able to find the renderings for the hotel portion anywhere online? Does anyone have access to it?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 4:16 PM
dream fast

9-30

Newly rehabbed Wrigley Rooftops facadectomy on Sheffield

Last edited by george; Oct 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 11:32 PM
THAT Guy

No post on this yet?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...0,509385.story

Cubs to state: Let's play bonds
By Ameet Sachdev

The owner of the Chicago Cubs will ask the state to borrow up to $300 million in a bond offering to make extensive renovations at Wrigley Field that would ensure the team can play at the historic ballpark for another 50 years.

...If the legislation is passed, Ricketts and his family have promised to invest about $200 million in redeveloping the Lakeview neighborhood outside the stadium, such as the long-talked-about "triangle building" just west of Wrigley.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 5:27 AM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...0,509385.story

Cubs to state: Let's play bonds
By Ameet Sachdev

The owner of the Chicago Cubs will ask the state to borrow up to $300 million in a bond offering to make extensive renovations at Wrigley Field that would ensure the team can play at the historic ballpark for another 50 years.

...If the legislation is passed, Ricketts and his family have promised to invest about $200 million in redeveloping the Lakeview neighborhood outside the stadium, such as the long-talked-about "triangle building" just west of Wrigley.

I hope Rickett's head falls off his shoulders. Typical GOPer. Doling out wads of cash to crazy people like Sharon Angle and then turning around, expecting a hand-out.

Horrible, horrible human-being.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 8:26 AM
TL;DR

To be fair, he's not asking for a handout. He's asking the state to use its ability to issue bonds with low interest rates. Should the state do so, the Cubs would be on the hook for any and all payments to bondholders. Not a single tax dollar would flow to the Cubs.

As a businessman, it's his job to pursue the best means of financing an expansion. I don't know all the details of Ricketts' plan, but I do know that private capital is still pretty difficult to get ahold of for companies looking to expand, so I can theorize about the position that Ricketts is working from.

Your knee-jerk political reaction is disappointing, especially because it ignores the massive economic boost that the Cubs provide to the North Side, from the bars, restaurants, and clubs on Clark Street to the high value that many people place on living near the ballpark and the consequent housing boom in the area.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 8:22 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

WLS-TV ABC Chicago

Ricketts wants taxpayer money for Wrigley

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...rts&id=7791463

Quote:
November 16, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Dozens of business and labor leaders support a Wrigley Field renovation plan they say could generate millions for the local economy and create jobs.

Cubs' owner Tom Ricketts was joined by those leaders Tuesday as they showed their support for the plan. The only catch is the Cubs' owners need the state's help to do it.

"So many people come in from foreign countries, other states. The reason is to see the Cub games. The Cubs are a massive draw. If Wrigley Field ever left the businesses here, half of them would close within a month," said Grant DePorter, CEO, Harry Caray's Restaurant Group.

State legislators could be meeting about the issue in Springfield Tuesday as well and at least starting to discuss it.
"Wrigley Field is the third-largest tourist destination in the state. People are coming there all year round," said Ricketts.

Ricketts said he wants the state to sell $300 million in bonds to fund improvements at the ballpark. The money would also pay for the development of a nearby commercial building. Ricketts said he wants to pay back the bonds with money raised by part of the amusement tax paid on each ticket to a Cubs game.

Chicago Mayor Richard Daley and Illinois Governor Pat Quinn say they are skeptical of the plan.

"I don't want to burden the next mayor," Daley said. "For me to leave and tell Tom and others that I have just taken x-amount of money out of his right pocket, you know, you have to look at that and what effect it would have on the budget because every budget's in a crisis."

Governor Quinn says there is a lot on his plate, and that the priority right now is fixing the state's giant budget shortfall.

Ricketts says the renovations and new building would generate $3 billion the next 35 years and create 500 permanent jobs.

"If it supports the neighborhood and continues bringing money into our neighborhood -- I actually don't like it, but I would support it," said Elyse Koren, Wrigleyville resident.

"I don't think it needs to be done at all. I think Wrigley Field is a historic [land]mark, and unless something absolutely needs to be done, it shouldn't be touched," said Jessica Becknell, Wrigleyville resident.

"You have to look at that, I mean, what effect would it have on the budget?" Daley said.

Wrigley is the second-oldest stadium in the Major Leagues. Its age was apparent in 2004 when concrete chunks from the upper deck began to shower fans in the seats below. Steel mesh now lines the bottom of the decks.

While the owners have made improvements and added seats, Ricketts says he needs the state's help to completely renovate Wrigley.

"It takes so much resources to develop a triangle parcel and to develop the area around that and so many resources to develop and to restore and renovate and improve the park. It is almost impossible to do both," Ricketts said.

Ricketts told the Chicago Tribune that if state lawmakers reject his plan, he does not have a Plan B.

(Copyright ©2010 WLS-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 8:33 PM

It sounds like he is having trouble getting financing to make the repairs on Wrigley Field and build the triangle building on their property at the same time. So if he didn't get the state bonds he could only do one or the other.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 9:50 PM

Sounds like maybe the Ricketts overpaid for the stadium relative to the investment it needs.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 10:25 PM
THAT Guy

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....-wrigley-.html

As they push for state aid, the Cubs promise to upgrade Wrigley
By Blair Kamin

As the Cubs continued their controversial push Tuesday for Illinois to float up to $200 million in bonds for Wrigley Field renovations, new wrinkles emerged in the team’s plans to revamp the 96-year-old ballpark.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 12:04 AM
Show me the blueprints

I'm sorry but those concourse renderings are pure cheese. So they want to take one of the last classic American ballparks and turn it into a sanitized lifestyle center? Because that's exactly what it looks like. Can we please have one American ballpark that hasn't given in to incorporating chain retail, planting palms or having a fucking water slide behind center field!?!

NOTE TO THE RICKETTS family: Just restore the stadium and add modest improvements - any further impulses to 'add' to the game experience will, in the case of Wrigley, only take away from it.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Nov 17, 2010 at 12:59 AM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 12:12 AM

it looks like navy pier

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 12:29 AM
BANNED

God these new owners make feel like I have ricketts......

either that or they are going to drive me into being a Sox fan

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 2:03 AM
The City

^ Agree, although I like the idea of the triangle building

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 2:16 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I'm sorry but those concourse renderings are pure cheese. So they want to take one of the last classic American ballparks and turn it into a sanitized lifestyle center? Because that's exactly what it looks like. Can we please have one American ballpark that hasn't given in to incorporating chain retail, planting palms or having a fucking water slide behind center field!?!

NOTE TO THE RICKETTS family: Just restore the stadium and add modest improvements - any further impulses to 'add' to the game experience will, in the case of Wrigley, only take away from it.
Wrigley Field was already bastardized in the 70s with those awful concrete panels. I don't think these renderings are too over-the-top, honestly. The little trusses over the alley are cool, and I like the lighting. The only tacky thing is the gate at the end with the pitcher silhouette in it.

The concourse is just adding some metal cladding to the underside of the seating, repainting the steel, and adding banners and signage. Nothing retro in there.

As far as I can tell, there's very little that "adds to the game experience" in the cheesy way that you're alluding to. Just some additional food stalls and gift shops, but we already have those, and a premium club for all those businesses that spend ridiculous amounts entertaining clients at Wrigley. No pirate ships, water slides, sausage races, or smoking locomotives.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 2:51 PM

* moderator edit *

duplicate article already posted in thread

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 18, 2010 at 5:54 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 8:23 PM
A before E

I am curious where the Amusement Park tax goes to that is collected from these ballparks? I don't see anything wrong with wanting to use some of that money for the upkeep of these investments. Though I do agree with the other side of this argument, if the Ricketts can afford to pay 1billion to buy the Cubs, then they can afford to pay 200million to renovate Wrigley...but then again, are the Ricketts asking for money outright or money they will have to pay back? Money that has to be paid back, I see nothing wrong in asking for.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development