HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Already walkable cities become more walkable?

What kind of idiot list is this? Most improved is absolutely going to be sunbelt cities
Watch the video. It's very straightforward: cities that had a bigger increase on their share of transit/bike/walk on the 2005-2009 average compared to the 2015-2019 average. Data from US Census Bureau's American Community Survey.

And of course he explains why they increased: densification, new bike lanes, new transit lines, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Complete streets advocates always go crazy for Netherlands. Yes, it's more bikeable than almost anywhere else (I think Denmark would be a serious competitor). Otherwise, it doesn't have particularly impressive urban form or transit infrastructure, at least for Western European standards. But for some reason, Amsterdam is this idealized Nirvana.

Growing up not far from the Dutch border, the stereotype was that Dutch local trains were crap compared to German and French local trains. I have no idea if this is/was true, and/or whether bikes kind of made up the difference. I don't think they're Italy-level bad but don't think they have the type of service you expect in Germany/France either.
I visited Amsterdam for the first time now in December and I wasn't really impressed regarding urban form or transit. As you said, it's a very ordinary Western European city. London, for instance, is much more pleasant for pedestrians and obviously, they have a much more comprehensive transit.

And as I was waiting my Thalys, I saw lots of their regional trains coming and going and they're quite ugly/old.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 6:44 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Picking on the Central Valley!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 6:56 PM
你的媽媽

I think the fact that Sunbeltian cities don't make this list, despite having the most room for improvement, kinda shows you where those areas are as far as car dependency and orientation.

It doesn't seem like this list is talking about which cities are adding the most bike lanes, or performing the most road diets, or adding the most rail lines. It's more so which cities are decreasing their usage of car as a means of transportation to work.

Say you have a city with population 100, and 5 people take transit/bike/walk to work. If the next year, 10 people take transit/bike/walk to work, that's an improvement of 100%. Now if you have a city with population 100, and 30 people take transit/bike/walk to work. If the next year, 35 people take transit/bike/walk to work, that's only a 17% improvement.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
It's the whiny voice that made me fast forward through this video.
i have to watch citynerd at 2x on youtube, otherwise he sounds condescending/valley girl.

to me - the impressive thing about the netherlands is just how expansive the cycle infrastructure is. NJB has a great video comparing it to what's in copenhagen (and stirred up a response)

^homebucket - yep, we have a ways to go. the environment here is hostile to people who don't want to drive.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 11:06 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I've been watching a lot of the urbanist YouTube channels over the past year. CityNerd is one of the best in my opinion, but Not Just Bikes and City beautiful are also good.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 11:14 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:

What kind of idiot list is this? Most improved is absolutely going to be sunbelt cities
this isn't about how walkable a city is, but about commuter mode share.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 3:26 AM
Registered Ugly

If this dude could only see what I see on the MAX Blue line.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
i have to watch citynerd at 2x on youtube, otherwise he sounds condescending/valley girl.
Oh mah gah haha! When I played that video at a faster speed (1.75), he totally sounds like a Valley Girl! Well, a gay guy with a Valley Girl accent.

And then when I played him at .5, he sounds like a medicated drag queen. Ahhahaha! FAAAAAAAAAAbulooouuus...

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 3:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
one of the theories presented in the video is that there might be some self-sorting going on, where people who are attracted to a more urban-oriented lifestyle (walking, biking, transit) are migrating to cities that already offer higher levels of such, while others who are more inclined to an automobile-oriented lifestyle are going in the opposite direction.

it's a plausible reason why the cities on his "dishonorable mentions" list , where automobile commuting mode share actually increased over the past decade, were mostly found in the sunbelt.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 7, 2023 at 7:37 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions