HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 4:24 AM

^ I miss my drive-thru McNuggets!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 3:27 PM

I worked at the Art Museum for one summer during my college years (Early 2010s). There was a guy who would play his trumpet all day wearing a full tuxedo outside that McDonalds. He was not very good. I really hope someone here remembers him too.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 1:20 AM

Yesterday TalkErie (a local talk radio station) had a segment on all the local development project happening around town. Of course all the stuff happening downtown was the main focus but an interesting topic was discussed that I think a lot of people don't talk about much.

The Erie area, and more specifically it's inner ring suburbs of Millcreek and Harborcreek, are overbuilt for retail and several 60's and 70's-era plazas lie nearly completely vacant. The most glaring examples include the old Kmart/Giant Eagle plaza at 26th and Sterrettania and the old Kmart plaza on Buffalo Road in Harborcreek.

The Millcreek Mall, while faring better than other malls, has had a good amount of vacancies and on Upper Peach there always seems to be a new big store leaving. The Liberty Plaza is about 2/3rds vacant, too.

They then mention how areas that focus solely or mostly on local, boutique shopping (West Erie Plaza, the Colony Plaza, Village West, Federal Hill area) are the most successful.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 11:16 AM

Erie Reader article details all major construction projects in the area

In it's year-ending issue, the Erie Reader detailed the downtown renaissance Erie is currently going through as well as other major projects throughout the region.

https://www.eriereader.com/article/e...lace-of-return

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 11:16 AM

Erie Reader article details all major construction projects in the area

In it's year-ending issue, the Erie Reader detailed the downtown renaissance Erie is currently going through as well as other major projects throughout the region.

https://www.eriereader.com/article/e...lace-of-return

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 5:40 PM

Last edited by DFWCC8; Jan 8, 2023 at 2:36 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 4:56 AM

GOOD NEWS : Finally
The Avalon Hotel is to get a makeover.

VIDEO

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/48...y-avalon-hotel

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWCC8 View Post
GOOD NEWS : Finally
The Avalon Hotel is to get a makeover.

VIDEO

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/48...y-avalon-hotel
Thank the Lord this is actually happening. IMO, the Avalon was the largest remaining eyesore in downtown and because it was located at such a prominent intersection, it really just brought the area down with it.

Personally, I hoped the building would be half hotel, half housing, but I'm glad it will get the TLC it's needed for years. Bringing market-rate housing to this area will be great for the surrounding businesses.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
Thank the Lord this is actually happening. IMO, the Avalon was the largest remaining eyesore in downtown and because it was located at such a prominent intersection, it really just brought the area down with it.

Personally, I hoped the building would be half hotel, half housing, but I'm glad it will get the TLC it's needed for years. Bringing market-rate housing to this area will be great for the surrounding businesses.
It's days as a hotel are long gone. Part of me always assumed it would be converted into housing or office space. I wondered if Gannon had any interest in using it for dorms. When I went to the U of Akron I lived in an old Holiday Inn and loved it. I'd assume that Gannon doesn't have that big of a need for housing and an apartment building will probably be a lot nicer.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 8:01 PM

Not "development" news, but development is a part of this article of which, Erie is prominently (and positively) featured...

Reviving America, One College Town at a Time

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
Not "development" news, but development is a part of this article of which, Erie is prominently (and positively) featured...

Reviving America, One College Town at a Time

Nice piece, if rather fluffy for Gannon's ego... though Erie and Waterville, ME are too extremely different places, with vast differences in the impact that the colleges featured in this article have. Erie is never going to be mistaken for a "college town", as a place like Waterville, ME undoubtedly is.

Gannon University is certainly an economic force in the region as an anchor of downtown Erie, but it is one of a number of institutions of higher ed in the area... who all are contributors to the economy, but are certainly not going to be the reason why Erie resurrects itself or not.

Even if you combined all of the them together (Gannon, Mercyhurst, Penn State-Behrend, Edinboro, LECOM, and even Allegheny)... we're still just not talking about all that many students... and there's no critical mass because they're spread across the county with significant distance between them. The colleges are going to thrive or wither with the region, not the other way around.

I'm definitely glad that Gannon (and other enterprises in downtown Erie) finally started to give a shit about their surroundings as they finally realized the decay around them was going to affect them quite negatively very soon if they didn't act... though I'm not going to praise them too much for waiting until the 11th hour (when many downtown buildings surrounding them became vacant and on the verge of blight... read cheap) to take action.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKZips View Post
It's days as a hotel are long gone. Part of me always assumed it would be converted into housing or office space. I wondered if Gannon had any interest in using it for dorms. When I went to the U of Akron I lived in an old Holiday Inn and loved it. I'd assume that Gannon doesn't have that big of a need for housing and an apartment building will probably be a lot nicer.
There is word around that Calif developer is interested in buying the Renaissance bldg and is considering converting part of it into a hotel.
The two projects would liven up that corner of downtown. Excited to see both happen.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 3:18 AM

^ That would be incredible.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 3:08 PM

Good to see the plans for this. Greengarden is perfect for bike lanes -- overly wide and hooks up with Bayfront and 8th & 6th street corridors to Presque Isle and downtown. French is a good choice for a N-S downtown route, and I'd like to see Peach from 38th to Front St. have a dedicated bike lane as well.

Plans for new French Street and Greengarden bikeways are posted for public comment

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...s/69821274007/

Video Links:

https://www.goerie.com/videos/news/l...d/11083798002/

https://www.activeerie.com/bikeway/

New bikeways are planned on French Street and Greengarden Road and Boulevard.

The Greengarden bikeway, from the Bayfront Parkway to West 38th Street, is expected to be completed this year.

On Greengarden Road, north of West 26th Street, traffic lanes will be narrowed to accommodate the new bike lanes. On Greengarden Boulevard, south of West 26th Street, on-street parking will be restricted to accommodate bike traffic.

The French Street bikeway, from East Sixth Street to East 38th Street, is scheduled to be done in 2024.

Plans are for a two-way, separated bike lane between East Sixth and 26th streets and shared-lane markings from East 26th Street to East 38th.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I'd like to see Peach from 38th to Front St. have a dedicated bike lane as well.
Yeah, Peach from 26th to 2nd Street especially is ripe for a road diet and a protected bike lane.

But this is a really good start, especially French, which has too many travel lanes, as is.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 11:44 AM

Millcreek purchases, plans to demolish W. 8th Street properties

Millcreek Township voted yesterday to purchase the former Joe Root's building, Bel-Aire Hotel, Sandbar Draft House & Grille, and Manor Motel, all along W. 8th Street. The township plans to demolish these properties to make way for future development in line with their PI Gateway Plan.

"New stores, residences, restaurants and services on West Eighth Street will give visitors and residents more reason to shop, dine and otherwise enjoy the area" said Millcreek supervisor, Kim Clear.

The article also states that the properties will be used for mixed-use development "constructed close to the sidewalk with parking in the rear".

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...s/69853864007/

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
Millcreek Township voted yesterday to purchase the former Joe Root's building, Bel-Aire Hotel, Sandbar Draft House & Grille, and Manor Motel, all along W. 8th Street. The township plans to demolish these properties to make way for future development in line with their PI Gateway Plan.

"New stores, residences, restaurants and services on West Eighth Street will give visitors and residents more reason to shop, dine and otherwise enjoy the area" said Millcreek supervisor, Kim Clear.

The article also states that the properties will be used for mixed-use development "constructed close to the sidewalk with parking in the rear".

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...s/69853864007/
This is a bit sad. I've been to a lot of events at the Bel-Aire in my lifetime and my wife and I had our wedding reception there. Although I will say that while the event space and Maxis was awesome, the hotel and surrounding establishments were not. There was also an overdose at the hotel the day before and I believe two drug busts at the Manor Motel the day of our wedding and the day after. I've heard some very shady stuff has gone down at the Sandbar as well.

Hopefully Millcreek doesn't drag it's feet and actually gets something done asap. Nothing would be more depressing than a "PI Gateway" that's made up of a bunch of abandoned lots.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKZips View Post
This is a bit sad. I've been to a lot of events at the Bel-Aire in my lifetime and my wife and I had our wedding reception there. Although I will say that while the event space and Maxis was awesome, the hotel and surrounding establishments were not. There was also an overdose at the hotel the day before and I believe two drug busts at the Manor Motel the day of our wedding and the day after. I've heard some very shady stuff has gone down at the Sandbar as well.

Hopefully Millcreek doesn't drag it's feet and actually gets something done asap. Nothing would be more depressing than a "PI Gateway" that's made up of a bunch of abandoned lots.
Yeah, the Bel-Aire was once a nice place all around... but that was many years ago now. I was at Maxi's not too long ago, and it was still a good spot.

Good riddance to Joe Roots... which sucked, and the owner just ran what was once a nice, lively restaurant and bar (Elephant Bar) into the ground. Good riddance to the Sandbar, which is about as crappy of a place as I've ever experienced... and which also used to house two great Erie restaurants: Lee Kontis' Charcoal Pit and the Sweetwater Grill.

I actually hate seeing buildings like the Manor Motel go away, because it could be a cool little spot if new ownership could take it over and renovate it. But that's never going to happen.

Hopefully, redevelopment of these parcels will also spur interest in developing all of the empty lots on W 8th. It's really quite bizarre how the north side of 8th is quite barren.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 1:39 PM

Bricks at the Cashier's House opening next week

The steakhouse set to operate in the Cashier's House, Bricks, will be opening next Tuesday, the EDDC confirmed. The owners of the restaurant already operate two of the food hall vendors.

Hopefully, the food is good and people take to the new place. Downtown Erie doesn't have a quality steakhouse.

https://www.goerie.com/story/enterta...e/69843976007/

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:48 PM

^ Nice. Want to check it out when I'm in town.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations