HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 3:15 AM
Great White Norf

Largest US Banks by Assets

I'm not sure if anyone ever checks this but the Federal Reserve releases the list of largest US banks by Assets (quarterly I believe?). The most recent list is June 30, 2022

federalreserve.gov/releases/lbr/current/

For years, forumer Justin (DallasTexan/Sulley/etc) and myself would have a rivalry between Buffalo and Birmingham since both Metros were similar size and regional bank headquarters.
(Petty brag: M&T is now larger than Regions *neener neener* )

Buffalo based M&T Bank is now ranked #16, larger than even juggernaut KeyBank from Cleveland. (KeyBank has naming rights to the arena where Buffalo Sabres play)

A sign that Buffalo is continuing it's rebound the former HSBC tower now rechristened Seneca One Tower has M&T as its anchor tenant. Douglas Development from Washington DC spent about $150M gutting the interior and revamping it into a full mixed use structure with something like 200 apartments, renovated lobby, craft brewery (Other Half brewing) on-site, etc

M&T spent $58M renovating multiple floors into a technology hub for the bank and to collaborate with startups in the Buffalo Niagara region. Their goal is to attract top talent to Buffalo/Western NY.

Before

After

Video Link

Last edited by Wigs; Sep 7, 2022 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 5:05 AM

It's about time Wilmington ended up on one of these bank lists. PNC and TD don't have as big of a presence here as Bank of America or JP Morgan Chase, though, so it's a little surprising. But that could be a difference between credit card divisions and banking divisions or something.

This is probably the only time we see Sioux Falls discussed around here, too.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 10:58 AM

Are those the real HQs or only the fiscal ones? There are incredibly tiny cities way up on the list.

In Brazil, there a 5 big banks (assets running from R$ 1.7 trillion to R$ 800 bi, 2019, US$ 1 = R$ 5). The 3 private ones HQed in São Paulo and the 2 state-owned, in Brasília (moved from Rio when the capital changed).

São Paulo is now the undisputable financial and banking centre and even though fintechs popped up everywhere, once again bringing more players, when they grow, the first thing they do is to move to São Paulo.

P.S. Nice to know Buffalo got another big bank to their tallest.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
It's about time Wilmington ended up on one of these bank lists. PNC and TD don't have as big of a presence here as Bank of America or JP Morgan Chase, though, so it's a little surprising. But that could be a difference between credit card divisions and banking divisions or something.

TD NA's HQ is in Cherry Hill. PNC's HQ is obviously Pittsburgh. They probably use a Delaware address for tax purposes. Wilmington does have a substantial amount of banking jobs though.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
TD NA's HQ is in Cherry Hill. PNC's HQ is obviously Pittsburgh. They probably use a Delaware address for tax purposes. Wilmington does have a substantial amount of banking jobs though.
Right, these are just the tax addresses for the commercial arms of major banks. Not really related to HQ functions or relative job counts.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 1:19 PM
I am the law!

I can't say I do.

In Canada at least, The shareholders only care about themselves. The ever increasing nepotic bosses are so disconnected from the average employee that they also only care about themselves. There's always someone fresh and young willing to work more for less. The Canadian government which protects their chartered asses let's them do whatever they want.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 1:57 PM

Title of the thread is misleading. Many of the banks are not "headquartered" in the places listed.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 3:24 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post

Isn't Wilmington just the fiscal HQ of PNC to take advantage of Delaware's lax err business friendly tax loopholes

Anyone with a brain can see PNC has the large newish, shiny office tower in downtown Pittsburgh and the huge presence in that city.

Sioux Falls must be another HQ for tax write-off state with South Dakota.

Sorry to deflate the homerism bubble, Matt

Last edited by Wigs; Sep 7, 2022 at 3:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 3:32 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Are those the real HQs or only the fiscal ones? There are incredibly tiny cities way up on the list.

P.S. Nice to know Buffalo got another big bank to their tallest.
Combination of both! (As another forumer pointed out my title was misleading--my bad)

And yes M&T has been on a big growth spurt the past decade. Their commitment to downtown Buffalo is great for the city and the completely revamped Seneca One tower.

There were rumours years ago either Wachovia or Santander Bank were interested in buying them out. Now M&T is big enough not to have to worry too much.

For shareholders, M&T has always been known as being generous with quarterly dividends and usually high stock price--currently ~$181/share

Last edited by Wigs; Sep 7, 2022 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 3:34 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Title of the thread is misleading. Many of the banks are not "headquartered" in the places listed.
... My apologies for inserting that word

Last edited by Wigs; Sep 7, 2022 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Isn't Wilmington just the fiscal HQ of PNC to take advantage of Delaware's lax err business friendly tax loopholes

Anyone with a brain can see PNC has the large newish, shiny office tower in downtown Pittsburgh and the huge presence in that city.

Sioux Falls must be another HQ for tax write-off state with South Dakota.

Sorry to deflate the homerism bubble, Matt
I mean this whole thread was posted as a bit of Buffalo homerism, so to play devil's advocate, if we were looking at which places are more important to the financial world: the credit card capital of the world while also being at the forefront of financial litigation and corporate law, I would say Wilmington is more important than Buffalo.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:

Basically. PNC Bank is chartered in Delaware to take advantage of the state's beneficial tax structure for retail banking. PNC Bank is the retail banking subsidiary of PNC, which is headquartered in Pittsburgh.

Just like JP Morgan Chase Bank is "headquartered" in Columbus, but JP Morgan Chase is headquartered in NY... and like numerous others on this list.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 9:22 PM

I'm probably in the minority, but count me as a fan of the "Before"...

Quote:

Before

After

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 10:15 PM
Great White Norf

Deleted

Didn't want this to turn into city vs city
My apologies

Last edited by Wigs; Sep 7, 2022 at 11:02 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:31 AM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Those are for tax breaks and I think some sort of credit card rate thing in South Dakota.

Otherwise...
JPMorganChase=New York
Bank of America=Charlotte
Citibank=New York
Wells Fargo=San Francisco

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 5:05 AM
Great White Norf

Moved to rust belt thread

Last edited by Wigs; Sep 8, 2022 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:53 PM

Not sure why this thread has devolved into Buffalo vs Detroit vs Chicago, but bank HQs do not mean much these days. I don 't see any of the big TX cities, Phoenix or Atlanta on the list, and that has not stopped those cities from growing like crazy.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 3:46 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Those are for tax breaks and I think some sort of credit card rate thing in South Dakota.

Otherwise...
JPMorganChase=New York
Bank of America=Charlotte
Citibank=New York
Wells Fargo=San Francisco
BofA used to be headquartered in SF as well. At 555 California. SF also has one of the Federal Reserve Banks. It's the second largest by assets held and covers the largest area and population.

The Banker's Heart:

Old Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco Building:

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 3:59 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i moved all of the rust-belt talk over to an old rust-belt thread.

please continue there: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ight=rust+belt

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 5:06 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Not sure why this thread has devolved into Buffalo vs Detroit vs Chicago, but bank HQs do not mean much these days. I don 't see any of the big TX cities, Phoenix or Atlanta on the list, and that has not stopped those cities from growing like crazy.
For the large and/or rapidly growing cities/Metro regions it doesn't really matter.

However Buffalo was a city that developed many companies in various industries, but went from being the original HQ to a branch town, or companies left the area entirely, or no longer exist.

M&T Bank is the outlier in Buffalo.
They started here in 1856, were rumoured in the 2000s to get bought up by larger banks but managed to keep themselves from being bought out and have made a conscious choice to stay and grow in their home region of Buffalo and downtown Buffalo in particular. Now they are a large bank in the mid-Atlantic region.

M&T went from a bank of $150B assets in March to now over $203B and the 16th largest bank in the United States through acquisitions.

Their commitment to downtown Buffalo and $58M investment in a new tech hub in Buffalo's revitalized only true skyscraper (which underwent a $150M transformation into mixed-use) is a BIG deal for Western NY. The tech hub will be 1,000 new jobs, attracting talent from outside the region and State.

M&T's new footprint after acquisition of People's United Bank

Because of M&T's commitment in the Seneca One Tower, Buffalo's tech incubator, 43 North, and numerous tech startups have followed the migration into Buffalo's tallest tower. The clustering of Buffalo's small but growing tech industry

In turn, this has made other startups say "Wow, Buffalo went from dying Rust Belt city to revitalization and resurgence".

Not unlike the cluster of the "Buffalo-Niagara" medical campus on the northern edge of downtown Buffalo.

Last edited by Wigs; Sep 8, 2022 at 5:53 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions