HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
It is very challenging to create a high performance affordable housing project, but it will happen as the hurdles are crossed.

Thanks everyone for clarifying the whole south/north thing. Makes more sense now.

Where does the money come from for affordable housing? Or is the idea that developers will just bid for the land at whatever price will allow them to turn a profit while building something that can be rented at below-market rates?

Edit: Or can the north block just be developed for 100% market-rate rental, condo, etc without restriction, and the affordable housing is being built on the south portion?

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 5:59 PM

What is the waterfront site?

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ preferably a pitcher in each hand... Rickards Red.
Carling Black Label would be better!

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 6:32 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it might be, but they didn't have that on tap at the Pemby from what I recall

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 7:39 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Thanks everyone for clarifying the whole south/north thing. Makes more sense now.

Where does the money come from for affordable housing? Or is the idea that developers will just bid for the land at whatever price will allow them to turn a profit while building something that can be rented at below-market rates?

Edit: Or can the north block just be developed for 100% market-rate rental, condo, etc without restriction, and the affordable housing is being built on the south portion?
To my knowledge the north portion of the site has no restrictions other than whatever aesthetics CentreVenture has placed on it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 7:41 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Our understanding is there were a number of proposals but none of them either met CV’s requirements or were too restrictive and the developers chose not to proceed.

As the St Regis site would have had a a development agreement attached to it in the same way Market Lands does, it is surprising nothing has been announced. The same is true for the Waterfront site.

As both sites have been “ sold” it would be interesting to see what the sale price was. If all the proceeds have actually been received by CV that would be great.

If a VTB was involved what we have is really just an offer to purchase with a small refundable deposit / and or a fee for the option to purchase.

Two years is quickly coming up on the St Regis site “sale” and more than three on the Waterfront site. One has to assume CV has offered extensions to both of these purchasers due to “Covid” related issues.

I wish both developers well and hope permits are issued and construction commences. It’s a very difficult climate going forward.
The St Regis owners are still hoping to start this year.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 8:05 PM
surely you agree with me

That’s right. The affordable housing is in the south building funded through CMHC. It’s like one of the UW residential buildings. The North has no restrictions other than zoning.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 6:37 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The St Regis owners are still hoping to start this year.
Do you happen to know if the building became better looking?

The original render suggests a 40 story commie block that would become one of the city's more prominent landmarks.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

The original render suggests a 40 story commie block that would become one of the city's more prominent landmarks.
Of all the developments I would think inflation would hit this one hard considering the developer.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 7:32 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

last time I saw it, it was definitely better than the first thing we saw here. It's not going to win any awards, but it was somewhat improved. Still had the giant parkade base though. Hopefully the budget kills that. I cant imagine anyone making huge investments in downtown parking at this point.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 8:22 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Follow-up question..

Does anyone know if the St.Regis development is still on track to be the second tallest?

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 9:16 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Still had the giant parkade base though. Hopefully the budget kills that. I cant imagine anyone making huge investments in downtown parking at this point.
Funny thing to what you just said is they may start with just building the parkade.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Funny thing to what you just said is they may start with just building the parkade.

Lmao. Not again. Just to confirm, we're talking about this rendering, right? This one still hasn't been officially revealed yet either too if I'm not mistaken?

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 11:38 PM

I remember seeing that one a few months back. Looks like 300 Main and Fort Garry Place had a baby on a very tight budget.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 1:33 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Ha ha. Oh man. The dreaded Winnipeg phase one. I’d love to see the business plan for several hundred parking stalls that cost $60,000 each to build. Have they noticed all the parking lots are empty downtown these days?

Would make more sense to build the residential first and wait to see if the parking business comes back. Although the economics of a freestanding parkade didn’t work before covid.

The rendering I’ve seen is better than the one above. The parkade box has some different planes of materials on it. I don’t think it has a hat anymore either. Or a smaller hat.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (sub)urban View Post
Lmao. Not again. Just to confirm, we're talking about this rendering, right? This one still hasn't been officially revealed yet either too if I'm not mistaken?

That thing is hideous.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 1:34 PM

If there is a God, this abomination will never get built!

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 1:44 PM

I know nobody likes that tower, but I dunno... I see it as a good density builder. For instance, Hong Kong has a spectacular skyline but really once you get away from the harbour where the showpiece office towers are, there are very few beauties and a lot of unremarkable vertical people-warehouses. You don't get the density and vitality without those types of buildings.

And anything that fills in one of the biggest gaping holes in the downtown streetscape with a tower has to have some merit. Not to mention the fact that the on-site parking will hopefully reduce demand for the surface parking nearby and maybe prod some development there.

Even then, while it's not beautiful, it isn't hideous either. There are much uglier towers in the skyline than this one. On the whole when you consider its appearance and the density it would bring, it will be a net positive. Not a huge positive, but a net positive nonetheless. I hope it gets built.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 1:51 PM

^ totally agree. I also think the rendering software makes it look slightly worse than it actually would be in real life.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 1:52 PM

^^^ Agreed! not all towers have to be iconic. This is a bit better than 300 Assiniboine or the Radisson. It would serve its purpose as a place to house people. That can only be a good thing for downtown.

I do wish it had some commercial space but wouldn't hold this project up because of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan