HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 6:55 PM

It 100% does not fit into the mandate of REAL and is flagrantly illegal to approve.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
It 100% does not fit into the mandate of REAL and is flagrantly illegal to approve.
Illegal? How?

Maybe I'm naive, but I think it could be a good thing for the area. Good spot to go before Rider games, Pats games, concerts, ... Any events (QC Ex, Agribition, ...) that are going on will get good foot traffic.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 7:16 PM
BANNED

We already have a downtown and warehouse district nearby. REAL is acting like it’s a mini city within a city. I don’t think it should be competing with other areas that were zoned for these things.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
Illegal? How?

Maybe I'm naive, but I think it could be a good thing for the area. Good spot to go before Rider games, Pats games, concerts, ... Any events (QC Ex, Agribition, ...) that are going on will get good foot traffic.
REAL has a legal mandate to only focus on items pertaining to sports and trade shows. They have to prove any development is not something that could come forward in another area.

Considering Masters was on the REAL board 10 months ago, this is Trump style cronyism and has no place in a developed country.

We have the most corrupt city council in English Canada.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 8:22 PM

So if there is a legal issue, this project won’t go forward?

The attraction type Brewery and facility looks similar of infill to what Lansdowne Park in Ottawa has and what REAL wants to create.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 8:24 PM

City Council is going to approve it though. So the province would have to force the rules, but I doubt the Sask Party will take any action against corruption.

It's a bit like living in Central Asia. The government breaks the law, but there are no repercussions.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Now that the lease has been signed, next steps include receiving final approval from city council and working through development bylaws. Construction on the 40,000-square-foot space is expected to begin construction this fall with completion in the spring of 2022.
Guess we will find out what pushback if any city council will have.

https://www.620ckrm.com/2021/06/23/284231/

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 8:42 PM

Sandra Masters stands to get a lot of money in her pocket over this so I doubt there's pushback.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 11:04 PM

Last time I checked sports and beer go hand in hand great location the beer after those games is going To be phenomenal and I’m sure each and one of you will be going there for a drink after game guaranteed

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 11:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
Last time I checked sports and beer go hand in hand great location the beer after those games is going To be phenomenal and I’m sure each and one of you will be going there for a drink after game guaranteed
You missed the point. Please refer to my last comment. Regina is not desperate for more land for these kind of establishments.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:
REAL has a legal mandate to only focus on items pertaining to sports and trade shows. They have to prove any development is not something that could come forward in another area.

Considering Masters was on the REAL board 10 months ago, this is Trump style cronyism and has no place in a developed country.

[Citation needed]

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 12:07 AM

Quote:

Citation for potential future legal action.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
[Citation needed]
You could take a look at the zoning bylaw and see that they're about to approve a prohibited use, which is a violation of the Planning and Development Act.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
Are you going to visit the mayor in jail?

Who am I kidding. Funneling public money into the hands of city council has never been punished here.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 12:50 AM

How is Sandra going to pocket some money it really doesn’t make any sense is she putting in her own money her own money to build us if so who cares that’s her prerogative and I have absolutely no problem with those developments without them the lands will be sitting empty for another 50 Years and competition is Unless someone on here owns a brewery but I can see where it’s coming from

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 3:36 AM

Quote:
You could take a look at the zoning bylaw and see that they're about to approve a prohibited use, which is a violation of the Planning and Development Act.
You are being overly dramatic. The zoning bylaw is controlled by council. They can vote to allow anything they want. Community Planning gives tons of leeway the city to make these decisions.

Just like McDonalds they went/are going through the process.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
REAL announced they have signed a deal with Adam Sperling/YQR Distillery to open a "brewery and distilling facility"
When it comes to Sperling, I’m always skeptical.

I hope I’m wrong… I hope it does showcase great local beer (not just from his brewery), spirits, ciders, mead, and local food. But I’m not optimistic.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Sandra Masters stands to get a lot of money in her pocket over this so I doubt there's pushback.
Does she have shares in REAL?

Otherwise, you must be suggesting that there are kickbacks, which is a pretty heavy allegation.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 7:35 PM

Quote:
City Council is going to approve it though. So the province would have to force the rules, but I doubt the Sask Party will take any action against corruption.

It's a bit like living in Central Asia. The government breaks the law, but there are no repercussions.
This is a bunch of grumbling and conspiracy theory. City council already approved this or you wouldn't have heard about it. REAL is a volunteer board and their finances are public and audited by an independent public auditor (and REAL is owned by the City of Regina who has open books).

If you're accusing someone of corruption, or lawbreaking I suggest taking that evidence to the police or sending it to an investigative reporter.

This project was approved because instead of losing $250,000K a year on a facility that sits empty most of the time REAL turns a profit of $500,000K. It is a $750,000 swing in the balance sheet which the taxpayer won't have to fund. I assume it will get reinvested in facilities like Cooperators Centre, the Brandt Centre and Mosaic Stadium. This makes the business of REAL more sustainable, how is this outside their mandate?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 7:49 PM

These comments are extremely slanderousWhat kind of negative Nelly’s do we have on this board are they Regina haters it really doesn’t make any sense enjoy your city don’t destroy it

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan