HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Who thinks that exactly? Every reply I have seen understands where it is located. Maybe you are confused by the talk of taking out a surface lot? Which it is... the pocket park component is to occupy the surface lot that fronts Elizabeth Street.
I probably misread something then.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 4:16 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
So basically those dormers shown in the rendering aren't part of an actual second floor. There's only one floor there. My case still stands that if this thing had a legit second floor, it would be over 2300 sq ft and more like 4000. This one only has one floor and high ceilings. If you see a house like this with an actual second floor, it's more than 2300 sq ft.
Well, yeah... that's been the trend in the suburbs for about a decade now, to put up these steep-slope roofs. When you put them on a single-story ranch house, they make the house look massive (which is the whole point). Roof replacement is a lot more expensive with all those ridges and valleys though.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 4:30 AM

Most new-build SFRs in chicago start at what....2500 sqft not counting basements?

As far as suburban homes with tall ridges, zoning in most places requires those un-inhabited attics get counted in floor area for 7.5' clear. I don't know what realitors do though. I had two friends growing up in high school that had their early 2000's 1-story houses suddenly get a second floor and you would never know from the outside. They didn't even have sloping ceilings inside. Talk about a lot of empty space.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 5:15 AM

One of my neighbors' homes growing up was like this before the trend I think (built in the early 90s) - it was actually pretty cool inside. They had a second floor but it was only for part of it and it had a nice loft like feel to it. I remember the living room/dining room area was 2 stories tall and real cool. Definitely like that more than my house which was more typical floor layout and not open like that.

Kind of reminds me of a nice condo unit (well, more like half the building) I went to a handful of years ago in the Ukranian Village. Made me a believer in that stuff - my next big purchase is going to be lofty like that.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 6:18 AM

Don't you just wind up paying a ton on heating/cooling

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Don't you just wind up paying a ton on heating/cooling
I think in general it is more expensive since you have a larger area to heat/cool. I'm sure there's ways around that though to keep the air circulated in a certain way and to prevent so much outside air from messing with the temperature too much.

It's not like an old church/monument which are always cold

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Fulton West - 1330 West Fulton Street
290,000 sf office + ground floor retail
796 parking spots (!!!)
Pocket park covering what looks to be the existing parking lot
Designed by Gensler

above average design by Gensler? maybe... but comparing the existing concrete structure on streetview with this design, wow, a lot of cool shit going on with cantilevers, etc. that just get covered up here...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 9:32 PM
BANNED

Wow. Now that's just awesome!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 9:40 PM

Not that it really means anything, but this is the first design I've ever seen from Sterling Bay that wasn't brick-colored.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 9:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Not that it really means anything, but this is the first design I've ever seen from Sterling Bay that wasn't brick-colored.
What do you mean? That is brick covered.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
As in, the color of brick. Burnt auburn.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 2:26 AM

Quote:
As in, the color of brick. Burnt auburn.
Brick comes in a lot of colors, cream city, Chicago common, red, orange, brown, black, purple, happy, etc...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 2:11 PM

This office proposal is conveniently located between Morgan and Ashland. I see more new construction occurring near the Ashland green stop when I attend Bulls games. Union Park is one of the best outdoor activity areas in the city. It will fun to see what else develops around the area in the next 5 years.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:01 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...303-story.html

Oprah Winfrey's Harpo Studios to close in December
Melissa Harris - Chicago Tribune - 3/3/2015

Quote:
Officials for Oprah Winfrey said Tuesday that her West Loop TV studios will close in December.

The lease on the space, where Winfrey’s eponymous show was filmed for decades, runs until April 2016.

Harpo Studios had been at the center of Winfrey's broadcast universe since it opened in 1990, hosting her syndicated daily talk show through its finale in 2011. Chicago-based real estate developer Sterling Bay Cos. bought the four-building Near West Side facility of the production company in 2014, paying a combined $30.5 million in five land transactions for about 170,000 square feet of space.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
yeah i just googled 2300 sq foot house

how is that in any world not enough space for a family of 3? perhaps that pic is deceiving but nevertheless it looks enormous
First, I didn't say my 3 bd isn't big enough for 3, I said not big enough for 4. Unless we have two boys. We have a girl and my wife loses her office. Unhappy wife = moving or stone cold misery, take your pick.

But if you look at the plans for that house, what you're looking at is 2300+483+697 (garage+porches) = 3480 sq ft. And it's a ranch, it'd be a lot more compact if the bedrooms were on a second floor.

Pulled up my appraisal and my cape cod is listed as 1300 sq ft, not counting 800 for the basement, 40% of which is utilities. So that makes it more like 1800 living area.
Bottom line, 1800 3 bd is feeling small now, 2500 4 bd would be just fine. That's not mcmansion territory.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
I was standing in the blast radius at when the condo bomb went off and I watched this constant growth of dwelling size first hand.
I don't feel that a 3500 sq ft apartment with a two car garage is a sustainable model in the suburbs, let alone the inner city.
We've got a large (4000+ sq foot I think) SFH in the historic district of Oak Park (we also have a 2 car detached garage). Within a two block radius of our house are similar large (or larger houses) as well as numerous apartment and condo buildings with 1 bedroom and studio units. Its a lovely walkable neighborhood with diversity of household incomes, ethnicities, and cultures which is why we choose to live here.

Granted, not everyone can afford to buy a SFH in this neighborhood, but it sounds like you're arguing that my neighborhood shouldn't be allowed to exist. Perhaps all the larger homes should be subdivided into studios?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
We've got a large (4000+ sq foot I think) SFH in the historic district of Oak Park (we also have a 2 car detached garage). Within a two block radius of our house are similar large (or larger houses) as well as numerous apartment and condo buildings with 1 bedroom and studio units. Its a lovely walkable neighborhood with diversity of household incomes, ethnicities, and cultures which is why we choose to live here.

Granted, not everyone can afford to buy a SFH in this neighborhood, but it sounds like you're arguing that my neighborhood shouldn't be allowed to exist. Perhaps all the larger homes should be subdivided into studios?
I live in Lincoln Square. House is 3000+ SF and about 100 years old. I'm ruining the world or something.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I live in Lincoln Square. House is 3000+ SF and about 100 years old. I'm ruining the world or something.
Nope.

Homes can be large without there being sprawl. It's all in design and development.

My grandmother lives in such a neighborhood in Detroit.
http://www.historicbostonedison.org/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 4:18 PM

1505 n Milwaukee and Bom Bolla (Wicker Park)

Snapped this a few days ago...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu9 View Post
Snapped this a few days ago...

Both the new building and the rehab look great!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development