HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 9:53 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
I went to 8th and 9th grades in York County schools many years ago. That York County being what was left north of Steeles Avenue of the original York County after the creation of "Metro" Toronto. Oh, and don't forget Yorkville.
Oh right, there's Yorkville, York Region, Yorkdale Shopping Centre. Btw, that must have been a long time go as I never knew it used to be called York County.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
True, there are... though I imagine that Erie (the French fort Presque Isle and the first settlement around it) was the first of the "Presque Isles", established back in the early 1750s. Maybe Presque Isle, Maine is older?
According to Wikipedia, the Presque Isles in Maine and Michigan are from the 19th century, so the fort probably came first. The Michigan entry doesn't seem well cited, but it may have taken its name from Presque Isle in PA.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
No. Toronto's original name was 'York' but was changed as it sounded too similar to 'New York'. 'Toronto' is a better choice as it's unique. Besides, the word York is still found all over the city. 3 of the city's 6 boroughs use it: North York, East York, York. (The other 3 are Toronto, Scarborough, and Etobicoke). There's York University, the Royal York Hotel, Fort York, York Street, and the old nickname is 'Muddy York'.
Toronto should've named itself Newer York. Missed opportunity.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 9:54 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What about Fort Rouillé (Rusty Fort)?
I had to Google that. Learn something new every day.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post

Or maybe even Nicer York

You know, being Canadian and all...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 9:55 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
According to Wikipedia, "Yanaguana was the Payaya people village in the geographical area that became the Bexar County city of San Antonio, Texas." I think I'm going to start calling it Yanaguana.

Also according to Wikipedia, Houston is on land that was home to the "Karankawa and the Atakapa indigenous peoples for at least 2,000 years before the first known settlers arrived." The exact area of Houston, swampland filled with snakes and alligators and infested with mosquitos and where malaria and yellow fever awaited anyone who ventured in, remained understandably uninhabited until two con artists from New York decided it was a good place to pull off a real estate scam.
No kidding. Their bullshit scam is probably one for the record books. They started a whole city.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 9:57 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Or New New York.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Btw, that must have been a long time go as I never knew it used to be called York County.
I just googled it. York County was officially dissolved in 1971, which coincidentally was the year we moved there. I guess they just had yet to change the name of the school board which was called York County Board of Education.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 10:01 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Perhaps, because there is panache in being able to say you moved from Morristown, North Carolina to Pleasantburg, South Carolina. Whereas, when you move from Asheville to Greenville you merely trade one 'ville for another.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 10:05 PM

"Toronto Township" was so much better than "Mississauga". It tried to become more a real city instead of just recognizing that is just a suburb, and that it will never be anything more than just a suburb. Now it's just the worst of both worlds: the very worst suburb and the very worst city at the same time.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 10:07 PM
Dryer lint inspector

There's a York in ME, PA, not too mention the one in England plus a New York Mills, NY (which none confuses with the other New York) so changing from York to Toronto seems like a BS excuse. The York Blue Jays and York Maple Leaf's doesn't roll of the tong quite same so that has to be the real reason...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
"Toronto Township" was so much better than "Mississauga". It tried to become more a real city instead of just recognizing that is just a suburb, and that it will never be anything more than just a suburb. Now it's just the worst of both worlds: the very worst suburb and the very worst city at the same time.
At least non locals can pronounce it... unlike Etobicoke.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
There's a York in ME, PA, not too mention the one in England plus a New York Mills, NY (which none confuses with the other New York) so changing from York to Toronto seems like a BS excuse. The York Blue Jays and York Maple Leaf's doesn't roll of the tong quite same so that has to be the real reason...
I believe it. Toronto is pretty close to the New York State border, so it was probably as much about the state as it was the city. Plus, the name was changed when there was still quite a lot of tension between British America and the United States.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 10:42 PM

To the Québécois here: how do you say "Detroit"? With the French or English pronunciation?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 10:54 PM

Toronto and Chicago are cool names. I really like North American city names rooted in aboriginal culture.

Montreal’s original European name was Ville-Marie at its inception given by Pierre Chomedey de Maisonneuve in 1642. Jacques Cartier in 1535 had come upon an Iroquoian village named Hochelaga, and this was first related in a venetian map published btwn 1550 and 1556. An east end neighborhood of Montreal is called Hochelaga-Maisonneuve.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
To the Québécois here: how do you say "Detroit"? With the French or English pronunciation?
Day-traw for the French, Detroyed for the English.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 11:10 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Lake's Crossing is the original name of Reno. Definitely worse.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 11:12 PM

Do I wish LA was still called El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles?

No.

In an alternate timeline the major city in SoCal might have been called San Gabriel, which would be a great name for a city, but I kind of like the fact that LA is the only major city in CA that isn't named after a mission.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 11:13 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Do I wish LA was still called El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles?

No.

In an alternate timeline the major city in SoCal might have been called San Gabriel, which would be a great name for a city, but I kind of like the fact that LA is the only major city in CA that isn't named after a mission.
Pueblo or Reina would be decent names

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Pueblo or Reina would be decent names
I have to say, a lot of Spanish placenames in the southwest are quite beautiful and evocative.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions