• Houston is the Capital of the Gulf Coast
  • Los Angeles is the Capital of the West Coast and Hispanic America
  • Miami is the Capital of the Caribbean
  • New York is the Capital of the Northeast and Jewish America
  • Phoenix is the Capital of the Southwest
  • San Francisco is the Capital of Asian America and LGBT America
  • Seattle is the Capital of the Pacific Northwest
  • Washington is the Actual Capital

I consider the Heartland far more expansive than the Great Plains, so I don't agree with the article. I think Chicago is the Capital of the Heartland, in that the Midwest is far bigger than the Great Plains, and both are considered "Heartland" regions.
Cultural Capitals and regional capitals are not the same thing (sometimes they are) but its weird to include them as the same list.

Not to mention places like new york will claim themselves the cultural capital to everything.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
Exactly. We know SSP is virtually 100% US, but it's weird to see people ignoring the whole world outside.

The US is big, but it's 25% of world economy and 4% of population (and shrinking its share in both fronts). Sure it's the single most important country, but there is a whole massive world outside its borders.

Miami, for instance, houses 2 million Latin Americans or so? Latin America itself houses 600 million of them, including 6 megacities.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 4:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Exactly. We know SSP is virtually 100% US, but it's weird to see people ignoring the whole world outside.
err, many of us here are Canadian, and the site is run by Canadians. Just sayin'.

lumping Canadians in with Americans is like lumping Kiwis in with Aussies. Or Argentinians with Brazilians.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 5:01 PM

This is getting weird.

Also, I feel like there are almost two souths, now. One is the old south, possibly considered the deep south, which is... racially diverse and politically blue. It's also hyper-sophisticated and business-oriented. Atlanta is undoubtedly the capital of this region.

Then there's the conservative, agrarian south. Dallas is undoubtedly the capital of this region, or at least its largest metro.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
This is getting weird.

Also, I feel like there are almost two souths, now. One is the old south, possibly considered the deep south, which is... racially diverse and politically blue. It's also hyper-sophisticated and business-oriented. Atlanta is undoubtedly the capital of this region.

Then there's the conservative, agrarian south. Dallas is undoubtedly the capital of this region, or at least its largest metro.
At this point I would probably consider Oklohoma/Texas, Arkansas and northern Louisiana all part of some sort of "Texas" region.

Its the meeting and melding of multiple region, the southern reaches of the Midwest & Plaines, the Western reaches of the south and the Eastern reaches of the southwest. With of course massive crossover from the West and South from Northern/Desert Mexican culture.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 5:19 PM

This may sound crazy and I don't know if it is remotely true: When the show "Dallas" was popular, a friend told me that he heard that a family moved to Dallas because of the show. The family was upset when they got there and sued the network because they thought Dallas had no black people since there were no black people on the show.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
This may sound crazy and I don't know if it is remotely true: When the show "Dallas" was popular, a friend told me that he heard that a family moved to Dallas because of the show. The family was upset when they got there and sued the network because they thought Dallas had no black people since there were no black people on the show.
Gotta love racist yankees and their projection on southerners

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
One of the reasons America is so successful is because it doesn't have a "heartland". Countries with a heartland tend to have large swathes of the country that lie outside that heartland, which are economic basket cases and who feel that they don't belong.

Instead, the US is made up of a collection of large, culturally-distinct regions that are economically diverse and self-sufficient. Each of these have cities that are at their heart, and these are all very major places. If the US had a heartland, there would be one gigantic city at the centre of it all, and then a bunch of provincial mid-sized cities everywhere else.
America is successful for a few reasons but the Greater Midwest intersected by thousands of miles of naturally navigable interconnected rivers is indeed a major reason for the nations success and likely continued prominence and superpower-dom even if we continue with fractured stupid national politics like we've been doing for 20 years.

We did this before the entire period from 1870-1920 was a political clusterf**k in the US but it still didnt stop its meteoric rise to global domination.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
The meme work with pretty much every country, specially for big continental ones. People think about their countries only 99% of the time.

That doesn’t mean, however, they’re doing right assessments about the subject.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
not that presidential voting is definitive when it comes to liberal/conservative, but it can still provide a window into these things.

and yes, the dallas MSA is towards the bottom.

Top 20 MSAs by Biden over Trump margin in 2020:

SF: +60.9
DC: +47.9
seattle: +38.1
boston: +37.0
LA: +35.7

chicago: +32.3
Philly: +30.0
NYC: +28.1
baltimore: +26.7
denver: +25.8

san diego: +23.3
minneapolis: +19.8
miami: +16.3
atlanta: +15.6
detroit: +13.7

riverside: +9.4
dallas: +1.1
houston: +1.1
phoenix: +0.6
tampa: -2.6

source: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=432

a generation ago the chicago burbs were A LOT more conservative (or at least more repuiblican), but the suburban blue shift over the past several cycles in chicago's collar counties has been quite dramatic.

Illinois itself hasn't voted for a republican president since George H.W. way back in 1988. and chicagoland is the ONLY reason that illinois now votes solidly blue for president.

The political divide is not what it was 30 years ago, its becoming a split between Major metros vs everything else. And it has more to do with what type of industry/work you do than even where you live.

30 or 40 years ago a roofer in Texas and a guy like Trump would not be politically aligned ( and they were not) Now they are, as despite one being blue collar southerner and the other being a Hyper rich New Yorker they both exist in industries that align more with the new GOP/DNC divide.

Same thing is reversed, 30 years ago Steve Jobs ore any silicone valley tech upstart would not have been political aligned with an inner city Baltimore store clerk, but now they are. Back then the tech folks would more likely side with a Ron Paul type.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 5:37 PM

Quote:
The meme work with pretty much every country, specially for big continental ones. People think about their countries only 99% of the time.

That doesn’t mean, however, they’re doing right assessments about the subject.
Bro, nobody cares. America is the only place that matters, go cry about it.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 7:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

* POSTS DELETED *

please take all political sniping and other related bullshit to the toilet.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

lumping Canadians in with Americans is like lumping Kiwis in with Aussies. Or Argentinians with Brazilians.
Or Turkmens with Uzbeks!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 8:38 PM

Quote:
This is getting weird.

Hyper-sophisticated? You must not have spent very much time in the Atlanta region?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 9:18 PM

Quote:
This is getting weird.

The Deep South blue? Hmm, I don't know about that, lol. But Georgia IS far less white than Texas.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 9:35 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

my working understanding of the term “heartland” is that it most often seems to apply to micropolitan and very small metropolitan media markets. its not a term i hear on st. louis tv (we are gateway city and bi-state) but instead Paducah, KY and similar (probably where i first heard it on TV).

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 9:44 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
my working understanding of the term “heartland” is that it most often seems to apply to micropolitan and very small metropolitan media markets. its not a term i hear on st. louis tv (we are gateway city and bi-state) but instead Paducah, KY and similar (probably where i first heard it on TV).
Yep. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, "heartland" in the US context has very strong rural/agrarian/small town connotations. Sarah Palin's "real america". Think of any number of John Cougar Mellencamp songs.

I highly doubt you'll find many people who live in any decently-sized MSA anywhere who would identify with the label.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 9:44 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
For me:
  • Atlanta is the Capital of the South and Black America
  • Boston is the Capital of New England
  • Chicago is the Capital of the Midwest
  • Dallas is the Capital of the Great Plains
  • Denver is the Capital of the Mountain Station
  • Detroit is the Capital of Arab America
  • Houston is the Capital of the Gulf Coast
  • Los Angeles is the Capital of the West Coast and Hispanic America
  • Miami is the Capital of the Caribbean
  • New York is the Capital of the Northeast and Jewish America
  • Phoenix is the Capital of the Southwest
  • San Francisco is the Capital of Asian America and LGBT America
  • Seattle is the Capital of the Pacific Northwest
  • Washington is the Actual Capital

I consider the Heartland far more expansive than the Great Plains, so I don't agree with the article. I think Chicago is the Capital of the Heartland, in that the Midwest is far bigger than the Great Plains, and both are considered "Heartland" regions.
[*]St. Louis is the Capital of gassy, resonant BMs that sound like antique bassoons due to provel cheese and dirt cheap A-B products.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
But Georgia IS far less white than Texas.

Depends on the part of Texas, actually. Harris County, where Houston is located, has a larger population of African-Americans than Fulton and DeKalb Counties (Atlanta) combined.

https://www.google.com/search?q=afri...s+county+texas

https://www.google.com/search?q=afri...county+georgia

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 10:30 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Depends on the part of Texas, actually. Harris County, where Houston is located, has a larger population of African-Americans than Fulton and DeKalb Counties (Atlanta) combined.

https://www.google.com/search?q=afri...s+county+texas

Harris County is bigger in raw numbers (almost half of all of GA in total pop.) but Atlanta and the rest of the traditional south have a higher % of African-Americans. Harris County and the rest of Texas have a higher % of Hispanics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions