HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Thinking about all the public park projects going on in the city, it really seems like we've replaced the skyscraper boom of the pre-recession era with a public parks boom. Obviously we are all here because we are interested in skyscraper development - but perhaps the investments in public parks and museums we're seeing now is actually more significant for the city and it's residents. Just think about all of the projects going on:

- Maggie Daley Park
- Navy Pier Redevelopment
- Northerly Island
- Riverwalk
- Lucas Museum
- LFT Navy Pier Flyover
- Acres of added public river access from Wolf Point, River Point & Riverside
- 2 new pedestrian bridges across LSD

Has there ever been this much going on before at the same time? And to this scale? At least half of the above are what I would consider to be major projects that will rather dramatically reshape the Chicago experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Don't forget the work planned at the lakefront at Fullerton. Six additional acres of park space being added.

Also don't forget the Bloomingdale Trail!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 3:49 PM

Yeah I'm really excited by the push for parks and public space. I suspect it's all Rahm's doing, since Daley didn't seem too interested in parks except for MP.

The Five Most Anticipated New Parks Chicagoans Can't Wait For [Curbed]

I would love it even more if the same momentum behind these mega and large park projects could also get put behind smaller placemaking initiatives, like putting patio seating or green space on a couple of street parking spaces. You shouldn't be able to go more than 5 blocks without seeing someplace to sit and look at a tree.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 4:02 PM
dream fast

10/19

River walk progress from 330 N Wabash 36th floor office of Perkins & Will.

P&W interior office shots

Sensitive project models blurred

Last edited by george; Oct 20, 2014 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
10/19

P&W interior office shots

Looks like P&W got some Mies Barcelona Chairs to go with the Mies designed offices.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 6:09 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Yeah I'm really excited by the push for parks and public space. I suspect it's all Rahm's doing, since Daley didn't seem too interested in parks except for MP.
I'd encourage you to rethink that assessment. Many hundreds of acres of open space, including enormous tracts surrounding Lake Calumet and at South Works, were set aside during the Daley years. Dozens of schoolgrounds around the city were expanded into neighborhood parks, and new parks like Ward, Palmisano, Senka, Ping Tom Memorial, Battle of Ft. Dearborn, Bartelme, and Daley were created in former industrial areas. Nearly everything on Kngkyle's list began in the Daley years.

On the other hand, as soon as Emanuel is in office, he gives the park at the Roosevelt Collection back to developers, takes parkland for the Obama magnet high school, and offers lakefront parkland to the Lucas Museum.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 6:11 PM

^Assessment:rethinked

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 6:25 PM
North Beach Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
Unfortunately as of a week or so ago nothing has happened at Belmont/Clark, even the Dunkin Donuts on the corner is still open.
In regards to Clark/Belmont, from my correspondence with BlitzLake in September:

"We are working through the construction plans right now which will probably take another 3-4 months. With this said, we hope to be in for a permit by the end of the year at which time I am optimistic that we can have foundations and board of underground approved and be in the ground by March/April. We are excited about not only the project, but also making the area better and more vibrant."
I've seen God bow and make the clouds shake
I've seen the proud break
I've seen alot for a blind soldier
Who tattooed the cityscape upon skin just to blend in...
-aesop rock

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I'd encourage you to rethink that assessment. Many hundreds of acres of open space, including enormous tracts surrounding Lake Calumet and at South Works, were set aside during the Daley years. Dozens of schoolgrounds around the city were expanded into neighborhood parks, and new parks like Ward, Palmisano, Senka, Ping Tom Memorial, Battle of Ft. Dearborn, Bartelme, and Daley were created in former industrial areas. Nearly everything on Kngkyle's list began in the Daley years.

On the other hand, as soon as Emanuel is in office, he gives the park at the Roosevelt Collection back to developers, takes parkland for the Obama magnet high school, and offers lakefront parkland to the Lucas Museum.
You mean "offers lakfront parkinglot to the Lucas Museum".

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 7:29 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post

As has been discussed ad nauseam, the Lucas Museum will be sitting on an existing surface parking lot, with 15 acres of NEW park space surrounding the new museum. I can only assume you're a die-hard Bear fan who's livid about losing tailgating space

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 7:32 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallo View Post
In regards to Clark/Belmont, from my correspondence with BlitzLake in September:

"We are working through the construction plans right now which will probably take another 3-4 months. With this said, we hope to be in for a permit by the end of the year at which time I am optimistic that we can have foundations and board of underground approved and be in the ground by March/April. We are excited about not only the project, but also making the area better and more vibrant."
Good to know this is moving forward! Probably my favorite project outside of the downtown area right now

For those who forgot, this will replace a Dunkin Donuts & parking lot in one of the most vibrant neighborhood intersections in the city, very close to a transit stop:

Source

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 7:42 PM
dream fast

10/19

real soon...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 7:48 PM

...edit...point already made.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 7:54 PM

Quote:
10/19

real soon...

At first, I was super excited that an occupiable building may be replacing a parking structure in a central area of the city.

...then I realised you were referencing the burger joint

Bubble burst...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Thinking about all the public park projects going on in the city, it really seems like we've replaced the skyscraper boom of the pre-recession era with a public parks boom. Obviously we are all here because we are interested in skyscraper development - but perhaps the investments in public parks and museums we're seeing now is actually more significant for the city and it's residents. Just think about all of the projects going on:

- Maggie Daley Park
- Navy Pier Redevelopment
- Northerly Island
- Riverwalk
- Lucas Museum
- LFT Navy Pier Flyover
- Acres of added public river access from Wolf Point, River Point & Riverside
- 2 new pedestrian bridges across LSD

Has there ever been this much going on before at the same time? And to this scale? At least half of the above are what I would consider to be major projects that will rather dramatically reshape the Chicago experience.
I'm not sure that a particular Mayor really has as much to do with all the new public space. I think it has more to do with the several nationally recognized successful urban parks projects that have finished up in the last couple of decades... I am thinking specifically of Millennium Park and the High line in NYC. Certainly both those parks have spurred on big development and tourism dollars.

On that note here's to hoping the city gets around to covering the rest of the tracks in Grant park over the next several years. I imagine that would encourage development in the south loop.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallo View Post

No wonder Blue Havana is still open, they've pushed back their closing date several times now. Which I don't mind so much because me and some friends like to indulge in cigar socials in there

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 8:39 PM

Quote:
10/19

real soon...

Parking structures like this are what really annoy me about Chicago..hopefully they slowly diminish or underground parking structures are placed within highrises

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 9:13 PM

Think of them as place holders for a big fat tower that will go up on their sites once the sea of parking lots, former projects, and vacant industrial land around downtown dries up.

I don't know how many institutional investors see this, but Chicago is the best value in the world right now for a major city. The only thing holding land values down here is that we have so much land, but that land is disappearing quick. Freidman, the King of River North, himself even said that just about every site in River North either has a project planned for it or is spoken for by a developer. Streeterville is almost done too. The next round of growth downtown is going to explode into the vacant land to the North and South and what happens after that is a massive spike in property values in the Loop, River North, Gold Coast, etc. that will make a lot of people billionaires. That may be 20 or 30 years off, but it will happen within our lifetimes. I am planning on being all over that trend by the time I'm in my 50's.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 9:36 PM

Madison/Wabash

Not sure if anything CTA related is considered general development, but honestly I really wish the Madison/Wabash station house could be restored instead of being torn down this spring. Apparently it is still possible to save that structure. Just wanted to get any thoughts on that.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 10:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Think of them as place holders for a big fat tower that will go up on their sites once the sea of parking lots, former projects, and vacant industrial land around downtown dries up.

I don't know how many institutional investors see this, but Chicago is the best value in the world right now for a major city. The only thing holding land values down here is that we have so much land, but that land is disappearing quick. Freidman, the King of River North, himself even said that just about every site in River North either has a project planned for it or is spoken for by a developer. Streeterville is almost done too. The next round of growth downtown is going to explode into the vacant land to the North and South and what happens after that is a massive spike in property values in the Loop, River North, Gold Coast, etc. that will make a lot of people billionaires. That may be 20 or 30 years off, but it will happen within our lifetimes. I am planning on being all over that trend by the time I'm in my 50's.
hell there are KILLER sites all along south michigan. that corner lot at the bottom of the park is begging for a super tall.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit1995 View Post
Not sure if anything CTA related is considered general development, but honestly I really wish the Madison/Wabash station house could be restored instead of being torn down this spring. Apparently it is still possible to save that structure. Just wanted to get any thoughts on that.
This part of the conversation could probably be moved to the transit thread, but I agree. IIRC there will still be an auxiliary stair at this street so in theory it could terminate the end of the new modern platform with the historic entrance.

The whole system could be entirely overhauled for all I care but I always thought the station houses on the loop track should remain, even if they no longer serve their primary functions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development