HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slock View Post
I followed a link to the SOM website yesterday and noticed they have uploaded their entire TJPA presentation.

It takes a bit to load, but is well worth the wait. Shows the true genius of their proposal and has some stunning renders as well:

http://www.som.com/content.cfm/transbay_presentation
Those are sweet. I think if the SOM project gets picked it's gonna be my favorite project in the world. I absolutely love it. I may even have to move to San Francisco just to be near it and worship it and leave offerings.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 7:57 PM
BANNED

While skipping through the fantastic presentation of SOM, I came across something very interesting where they spoke of the Transbay plan not allowing entrance from the east or west, and that SOM "proposes" raising the building high above to meet that need. Does this mean the final tower height would actually be taller than 1375, or is that already taken into account?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 12:27 AM

I think they are talking about how the height of the bottom floor of the building is raised high above the ground and over the entrance plaza, allowing for better circulation to and from the terminal.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
While skipping through the fantastic presentation of SOM, I came across something very interesting where they spoke of the Transbay plan not allowing entrance from the east or west, and that SOM "proposes" raising the building high above to meet that need. Does this mean the final tower height would actually be taller than 1375, or is that already taken into account?
SOM's current design has the building raised 103 feet creating a vast open entry north/south video walled passageway. The 103 foot tall base is included in the total building height of 1375 feet. If I am not mistaken, there are 3 levels above the "roof" at 1200 feet, bringing the height to 1245 feet. The observation level is at 1215 feet.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 4:12 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
I was actually thinking about the same thing. It had occured to me that they measured that from the first floor making it 1478' in total. 1272' seems to be the actual height of the building, with "stilts" I guess you can say, lifting it 103' off the ground.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 4:32 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
I was actually thinking about the same thing. It had occured to me that they measured that from the first floor making it 1478' in total. 1272' seems to be the actual height of the building, with "stilts" I guess you can say, lifting it 103' off the ground.
We could only wish that it would be 1,478' in order to top the Sears Tower, but such is probably not the case.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 6:49 AM

All of the information presented on August 6, 2007 show the SOM proposal at 1375 feet. Does anyone have close-up photos they can post of the SOM tower building section presentation board? It shows building elevation marks and labels up through each level of the tower.

The final height and design of whatever of the 3 designs that is selected could actually change. Hopefully none of the designs, including Piano's across the street will be shorter that what has already been proposed. If SOM wins as I am hoping, I would prefer 1200 feet minimum for Piano, and 1375 feet minimum for Transbay. I wouldn't mind if Transbay is made taller at something like 1475 feet, but that depends on public opinion and careful study by Planning. I don't yet know of the feasibility of adding more hotel floors, and a rooftop restaurant, but I would like to see it if possible. If SOM can do this, plus resolving any issues with bus circulation in the terminal, the project would seem much closer to being ideal. It already looks like it could be a future world recognized landmark at the level of the Golden Gate Bridge, Empire State and Chrysler Buildings, and Transamerica Pyramid, if SOM's proposal is built. Pelli's design is sleek, but not so special; and Roger's design is interesting, but not as attractive for San Francisco. Let's hope that our opinions here on SSP will help count towards SOM winning the competition.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 8:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
All of the information presented on August 6, 2007 show the SOM proposal at 1375 feet. Does anyone have close-up photos they can post of the SOM tower building section presentation board? It shows building elevation marks and labels up through each level of the tower.

The final height and design of whatever of the 3 designs that is selected could actually change. Hopefully none of the designs, including Piano's across the street will be shorter that what has already been proposed. If SOM wins as I am hoping, I would prefer 1200 feet minimum for Piano
When I think of the twin 1200' proposition, I think I'd rather have one of them shorter to balance out the skyline more. Like 900'. Two 1200' towers next to a Transbay tower that wouldn't be too much taller would create another table effect. We need more spikes!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 5:11 PM

Quote:
When I think of the twin 1200' proposition, I think I'd rather have one of them shorter to balance out the skyline more. Like 900'. Two 1200' towers next to a Transbay tower that wouldn't be too much taller would create another table effect. We need more spikes!
You are right. It's going to be interesting how things will be balanced out in the area of Transbay. Heights are still a long way from being fixed.

How about 1200', 1000', 800', 700', and 600' instead?
(Image extraction for original image posted on the now discontinued forum on sfcityscape.com)

Here is how it might look like with the Piano twins at 1200 feet and SOM at 1375 feet. SOM's crown does help make a visual difference, but I agree the difference can be made greater (my images):

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 5:23 PM

You know, I disagree about the potential tabletop effect with all the new high-rises. I think there are 2 key reasons why our current skyline has a table-top effect:

1 - There are about 20+ high-rises of similar height
2 - The current height limits creates multiple "stunted" buildings

While three supertalls within a block may diminish the full-effect of the transbay tower, I don't think they will be enough to create a table-top effect.

In addition, given that they will be about twice as tall as anything else currently in the area, having three towers will make the transbay tower not seem so much out of place.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 6:08 PM

I actually think that the Piano twins at 1200 and SOM at 1375 doesn't look so table-top, but Pelli's design matching at 1200 feet might. I think Rogers design would seem too short, unless Piano's design is somehow shortened. Perhaps, any of the 3 competition designs can be made taller (or shorter), if needed.

It might be better to wait to see what wins, and how Piano and the Transbay winner might make design adjustments along with what Planning finds. etc.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 7:21 PM
BANNED

I think the proposed buildings, if built, would diminish the "table top" effect.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 7:21 PM
Round Head

When is the announcement of the winner?

I looked through that SOM presentation. That is genius. If it isn't picked it will be a horrible shame. It has the potential to be the greatest skyscraper in the world.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 8:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I think the proposed buildings, if built, would diminish the "table top" effect.
I am talking about another table top effect. We can have two flat tops in the same skyline. I just think more dramatic height relations would be much more viable from all the famous Bay Area perspectives.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 10:34 PM
Sonoma Strong

2 supertall towers of 1200 and 1 of 1375 would not, imo, create a table top effect in a city with literally hundreds of (mostly short/stubby) high-rises and no current supertalls.

i dont know. more varying heights might look better tho

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 11:59 PM
BANNED

^^^I agree with northbay420

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 12:17 AM

I also agree with northbay420. Furthermore, several more possible 800 to 1100 foot tall buildings in the area could also help create a more interesting balanced skyline.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 1:04 AM

Sorry if this has already be noted, but has anyone else noticed that SOM has really gone all out on showcasing this proposal on their website. You can now even watch the presentation now http://www.som.com/content.cfm/movin...nto_the_future

I hope this is their way of saying," we're excited over the prospect and we really want to make it happen."

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 1:19 AM

Ok hope this isnt illegal, but I got this off the presentation page @ http://www.som.com/content.cfm/transbay_presentation
and just had to share it. Lots of other great images too if you flip around.

And of course it doesnt include skyscraper currently rising that are of similar heights in other cities. Only the SOM buildings, minus the Empire State.

There is also an image that shows the massing of the building. I love the double wall on the residential floors. That means if I lived there I wouldnt get vertigo

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 2:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Frangelino View Post
Ok hope this isnt illegal, but I got this off the presentation page @ http://www.som.com/content.cfm/transbay_presentation
and just had to share it. Lots of other great images too if you flip around.

And of course it doesnt include skyscraper currently rising that are of similar heights in other cities. Only the SOM buildings, minus the Empire State.

There is also an image that shows the massing of the building. I love the double wall on the residential floors. That means if I lived there I wouldnt get vertigo
Geez, now the transbay tower looks PUNY !!! Thanks a lot for ruining my excitement

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development