HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 6:13 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I feel that this will be a sad story
It’s been that for several years now. Short of reconstructing what has already been lost by Toll Bros ripping a huge hole in the historic fabric, whatever is eventually constructed here will not mitigate the tragedy on Jewelers’ Row. Meanwhile this block is still zoned CMX-5 and a large contingent of owners are still determined to defeat the long-pending historic district nomination.

Having attended the PHC Committee on Historic Designation meeting, just prior to Covid, my read on the typical Jewelers’ Row owner position is their belief that their rightful legacy is the ability maximize the cash-out value of their properties. The remaining buildings are protected from demolition as long as the nomination is pending, but were they to ultimately defeat it, all bets are off.

Last edited by Jayfar; Nov 1, 2023 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 2:36 PM
Chris

NakedPhilly shared some slightly less conceptual renderings. Mixed reaction on social media.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0Njbslx...en&img_index=2

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Nov 29, 2023 at 4:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 4:58 PM

Looks good to me. Better than what toll had

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 9:09 PM

In a vacuum, that’s not a bad design.

This isn’t a vacuum. That design is hideously out of place with its surroundings. Considering the atrocity that was demolishing the buildings that stood in this lot, whatever gets put back should be of equal architectural merit.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
In a vacuum, that’s not a bad design.

This isn’t a vacuum. That design is hideously out of place with its surroundings. Considering the atrocity that was demolishing the buildings that stood in this lot, whatever gets put back should be of equal architectural merit.
Can you clarify what you would like to see built here? We can all agree that it would have been best if the buildings were never demo'd but now that we are where we are, I'm not sure if anything they build could heal the wound.

With that being the case, I'm good with this design. I like the entrance on 7th street so Sansom doesn't get as overwhelmed with pick up, drop off, loading traffic, etc.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 2:23 PM

Updated renderings:

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 2:46 PM

What is the fate of Jeweler's Row in general? Are 90% of the stores there profitable? I know nothing about this industry -- would be curious to know how busy most of these places are.

It seems like most of the building owners want the option to sell.

I agree that the area looks great as is, but we live in a hypercapitalist world, in a country that has zero respect/sentimentality for architecture/history. I think this tower, if built, will start a trend that's bad news for the Jeweler's Row. I can easily see 2-3 more 300 footers on this block.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
What is the fate of Jeweler's Row in general? Are 90% of the stores there profitable? I know nothing about this industry -- would be curious to know how busy most of these places are.

It seems like most of the building owners want the option to sell.

I agree that the area looks great as is, but we live in a hypercapitalist world, in a country that has zero respect/sentimentality for architecture/history. I think this tower, if built, will start a trend that's bad news for the Jeweler's Row. I can easily see 2-3 more 300 footers on this block.
Huh? Jeweler’s Row is in the process of being designated as a historic district - even now it’s protected under the proposal. I think your assumption that this country has “zero respect” for architecture/history is a stretch and trivializes the work and successes of preservationists in this city and elsewhere.

Last edited by skyhigh07; Nov 30, 2023 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Can you clarify what you would like to see built here? We can all agree that it would have been best if the buildings were never demo'd but now that we are where we are, I'm not sure if anything they build could heal the wound.

With that being the case, I'm good with this design. I like the entrance on 7th street so Sansom doesn't get as overwhelmed with pick up, drop off, loading traffic, etc.
It wouldn't be hard at all to design a tower to match the colonial/neoclassical/art deco stylings of Jeweler's Row. Something like the Alexander would look much more appropriate here. This is a bold design--something I'd normally laud--but the wound of losing those buildings will never heal for me.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
It wouldn't be hard at all to design a tower to match the colonial/neoclassical/art deco stylings of Jeweler's Row. Something like the Alexander would look much more appropriate here. This is a bold design--something I'd normally laud--but the wound of losing those buildings will never heal for me.
Fair.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 2:01 PM

I personally wish Toll Brothers could be taken to court to pay damages for their careless and senseless demolition practices, but sadly that ship has sailed. And yes, in a perfect world, at the very least the existing fabric could have been incorporated into a larger tower.

That being said, if this lot is going to be developed with a high-rise, I think this design really does well to make it bold and offers a really intriguing contrast. It would up the street vibrancy by about 10-fold.

I personally like that it's not trying to recreate what is lost, because I fear the project would be forced into being an inferior facsimile. This looks like 21st Century Philadelphia and would do well to boost Jeweler's Row.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
I personally wish Toll Brothers could be taken to court to pay damages for their careless and senseless demolition practices, but sadly that ship has sailed. And yes, in a perfect world, at the very least the existing fabric could have been incorporated into a larger tower.

That being said, if this lot is going to be developed with a high-rise, I think this design really does well to make it bold and offers a really intriguing contrast. It would up the street vibrancy by about 10-fold.

I personally like that it's not trying to recreate what is lost, because I fear the project would be forced into being an inferior facsimile. This looks like 21st Century Philadelphia and would do well to boost Jeweler's Row.
If not for the unacceptable above ground parking, this would reflect my feelings exactly.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 5:54 PM

Pearl Properties debuts new look for Jewelers Row apartment tower

Not sure how "new" these are (given that they're the same renderings posted above by Justin7 on November 30th), but apparently it's all new to The Inquirer.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 6:08 PM
Chris

^ I'm sure there will be outrage, especially with the Inquirer crowd, but I like the warm tones. Reminds me of The Copper Towers in NYC.

And random observation, but 35 stories at 367' seems a bit tight (floor count per the article). I would have imagined ~400'.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 6:10 PM

That's beautiful. I love the setbacks and unique color. Pearl gets shit done so I'm hopeful. Jeweler's Row really needs it and Chestnut is awful now between 7th and 8th. Las Vegas Lounge and Jones were big closures for foot traffic. El Azteca too. Las Vegas Lounge was actually awesome. It was much bigger than it looked from the street. It was definitely a dive bar but it had a lot of pool tables and always had people there until 2 AM on weeknights which nowhere else in that area can say.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 6:17 PM

Love it. Shovels cannot hit the ground soon enough!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
^ I'm sure there will be outrage, especially with the Inquirer crowd, but I like the warm tones. Reminds me of The Copper Towers in NYC.
Totally agree RE color. Which is why I'm hopeful that this and the Schuylkill Yards project get going. Our skyline has such a slate, gray, blue vibe to it (especially in winter months with the icy gray sky over top) - that any color pops will really breakthrough and look dynamic.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 6:31 PM

CDR submission is up as well. This thing is beautiful. Actually looks to be 414 feet tall to the top of the mechanical penthouse

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 6:44 PM

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 7:37 PM

Better, still not great. Would’ve much preferred something that incorporates literally any traditional materials and massing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals