HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 9:26 AM

Here's another infill to be glad about, although maybe it has been mentioned here before -- there's an eye-poppingly nice Chipotle at Clinton & Grenshaw (a few steps north of Roosevelt) that replaced a homely one-story 1960s industrial building. Surely it was by one of the new guard of local architects?

It does adopt the tiny-structure-surrounded-by-a-surface-lot style suburban layout, but it fortunately is situated to hold the corner, with the parking tucked back somewhat. It's highly unlikely it'll survive even a decade, given the boom around Roosevelt, but it sets great precedent. Why can't this happen to all infill in the city? Sorry no pics, but if someone with a camera is in the area, please do post.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 2:06 PM
Urbane observer

If you mean parking behind, that's been required by the zoning code since 2004.

If you mean the architecture, that's the choice of the chain, for branding purposes. You wouldn't be so happy if the tenant were Sonic or Taco Bell.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 2:58 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
7 floor, 45 unit apartment building planned for Polish Triangle...
Contrary to some local opinion, this project is a good fit for this site. Surrounded by roughly 85% alleys, the added height only adds to the value of this residential development. A concern is it will attract transient residents due to the sub standard views it provides. The upper floor units will be prime views and price points. It's currently surrounded by a few 4-7 story residential structures. Not to mention nearby Noble Square Coop. The public transit oriented concept and low parking ratios are also a plus. Bring it on.

View of the existing structure to be demolished

Rear window view of neighboring units

Last edited by george; Nov 8, 2013 at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 4:25 PM

Is work starting on the New City development near North & Clybourn? I noticed a building permit issued the other day for $2 million at 1457 N Halsted for foundation and caisson work. The owner is listed as "1515 N Halsted LLC"

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 5:22 PM
BANNED

^ I noticed they had some fresh signage while I was at the Apple Store on Tuesday. Though, there was no equipment on site to speak of.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 6:06 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Contrary to some local opinion, this project is a good fit for this site. Surrounded by roughly 85% alleys, the added height only adds to the value of this residential development. A concern is it will attract transient residents due to the sub standard views it provides. The upper floor units will be prime views and price points. It's currently surrounded by a few 4-7 story residential structures. Not to mention nearby Noble Square Coop. The public transit oriented concept and low parking ratios are also a plus. Bring it on.
I haven't seen the design, but it looks like it could be built with a nice interior courtyard to address the view issues.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 6:42 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
If you mean parking behind, that's been required by the zoning code since 2004.
Wrong.

The strip mall ordinance unfortunately uses the word "should" instead of "must" when advising to put parking in the rear and have storefronts meet the sidewalk.

My biggest gripe about it...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 6:57 PM

Has work on Tower of Jewel already started? Went by Clark/Division last night in a bus and part of Division was blocked off with caution signs and fencing was put up. Could have just been road work.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 7:09 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Has work on Tower of Jewel already started? Went by Clark/Division last night in a bus and part of Division was blocked off with caution signs and fencing was put up. Could have just been road work.
Division is blocked off while they completely reconstruct the Clark/Division Red Line subway station. Been underway for around a year already I think. They should be opening the new Lasalle entrance and temporarily closing the Clark entrance soon.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Where was the fencing around? There's been fencing there for over a year for the remodel (or whatever it is) of the Clark/Division Red Line stop. Perhaps it was that...?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 7:17 PM

^&^^ Ah, yeah, sorry. I don't get north of Chicago Ave very often. I forgot about the subway work.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 7:27 PM

Speaking of which...half the subway platform has been redone so far.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Speaking of which...half the subway platform has been redone so far.
Do you know if they'll have to cut through (and block) the road surface to complete the other half -- or will it be completely underground work?

Fifield is supposedly presenting a revised Tower of Jewel proposal to Sandburg neighborhood groups very soon, btw. We'll see what happens...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 10:51 PM
TL;DR

^ I'm not sure... I know the current mezzanine will be closed entirely while it is renovated, and the only access will be via the new LaSalle entrances. I'm not sure how they will handle road closures, but I assume some portion of Division will remain closed for construction staging.

A side note... I really hope this can be achieved on budget. CDOT is doing the work for 44% less than the Grand/State project cost, largely because they were able to close off the street for staging and they don't need to do the renovation with CTA riders constantly streaming through the site. This is a good model for any future subway renovations.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 10:51 PM

I can't imagine them needing to. I believe the road closure was for the new Lasalle and Division mezzanine and that will have ADA access. Don't know if the Clark entrance is getting elevators, but it will probably get escalators.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 11:27 PM
TL;DR

Ah, you're right. The existing mezzanine will not be expanded so they won't need to rip up the road, but it sounds like they might widen the stairways to allow for escalators.

Bonus: floorplan of the original mezzanine. Note the connection to the Mark Twain Hotel at the SW corner.

CTA Clark/Division Floorplan

Last edited by ardecila; Nov 11, 2013 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 11:42 PM

^^

Whoa -- what a great find!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 12:14 AM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I haven't seen the design, but it looks like it could be built with a nice interior courtyard to address the view issues.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Ah, you're right. The existing mezzanine will not be expanded so they won't need to rip up the road, but it sounds like they might widen the stairways to allow for escalators.

Bonus: floorplan of the original mezzanine. Note the connection to the Mark Twain Hotel at the SW corner.

Also note the washrooms. I'd rather have those get dirty and disgusting than the platforms.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
That looks fantastic, much better than I was expecting, even after hearing it was B+L. Hopefully this makes it through all the oncoming bullshit clean.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development