HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 12:47 AM

Fascinating map, thanks Mr. D.... If I didn't know better, I'd think you were making a case for placing the BHOL in Jackson Park...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 4:11 PM

I also think the projected economic impact is way overblown, outside of the construction windfall. Look at any other presidential library...is it on the shortlist of things you just have to see when visiting a city?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 2:40 PM

Happy King Holiday!

I read this elsewhere and thought it was good information... posted by "Pack" over on Curbed:

The detractors fail to point out that a considerable part of the space needed for the park is now covered with concrete and is adjacent to the Green Line of the CTA. Any reasonable person who visits the site would quickly conclude that at least that area is hardly park-like by any stretch of the imagination. Washington Park totals more than 366 acres. The museum would use 20 of those acres leaving more than 346 acres. The museum would enhance the park and the broader community. As far as the opponents of the Lucas Museum, the proposed area is currently an asphalt parking lot.

Below is a link to more good news as well... further evidence that minimal park space will need to be used:

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150...-obama-library

This is going to happen guys
The only way that it won't is if the Obama's select a different city.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 6:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Look at any other presidential library...is it on the shortlist of things you just have to see when visiting a city?
That totally depends on the city and president in question.

If you're visiting Springfield, IL, the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library & Museum is probably on your shortlist of things to do there.

If you're visiting Atlanta, GA, the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library & Museum is probably not on your shortlist of things to do there.

In the case of Chicago and Obama, I think an Obama presidential library & museum here has the potential to be a somewhat big deal considering the historic nature of his presidency by virtue of his skin color. would it be a top 5 tourist attraction in the city? no, probably not. but maybe a top 10 or top 15 tourist attraction, perhaps.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 19, 2015 at 7:00 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 7:26 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Any reasonable person who visits the site would quickly conclude that at least that area is hardly park-like by any stretch of the imagination.
Looks pretty park-like to me:

local.live.com

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Just to be clear, how "park-like" it appears is irrelevant to Mr Downtown.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post

local.live.com
It's certainly green with trees and no asphalt for parking only for paths, so yeah, it's parklike.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 8:56 PM

Why don't they just build the Obama Library over those ugly railroad tracks at the Southwest corner of Grant Park? Then no "parkland" would be used and it kills 2 birds with one stone.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 10:49 PM
Urbane observer

^No host institution chose to propose that site, which would be fairly expensive and do very little to revitalize the South or West Sides.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 2:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

If you're visiting Springfield, IL, the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library & Museum is probably on your shortlist of things to do there.

If you're visiting Atlanta, GA, the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library & Museum is probably not on your shortlist of things to do there.

In the case of Chicago and Obama, I think an Obama presidential library & museum here has the potential to be a somewhat big deal considering the historic nature of his presidency by virtue of his skin color. would it be a top 5 tourist attraction in the city? no, probably not. but maybe a top 10 or top 15 tourist attraction, perhaps.

I happen to to totally agree with this entire post.

One cannot vist Springfield without at least once visiting the Lincoln library as I did on several occasions taking my kids there too.

I imagin lots of many new visitors checking out the Obama libary with their kids too ESP black families due to the significance of it all

But not just blacks but everyone from the left that voted for him twice like I did

This will be a boon to the city no doubt

I would figure my family though local will visit it many times.

And I hope these other said families will also visit the museum of science and industry too in addition to the normal museums like the shed and the alder

This is more important than the billion dollar gift from Lucas but hopefully we get both

Last edited by bnk; Jan 21, 2015 at 2:39 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 7:13 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Aww, poor Carter.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

new tribune poll of city residents:

approve of using parkland for obama library: 62%

opposed to using parkland for obama library: 29%

no opinion: 9%

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 7:05 PM

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 9:41 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

I wonder which park they will put the library on. Or is it going to be placed on both sites in the south side?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 8:09 PM

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 6:01 PM

So Michelle Obama will apparently pick the location of the library and she is currently favoring the NYC/Columbia University location:

Quote:
The site of the Obama presidential library and museum will be announced next month, and apparently the First Lady is going to pick it.

The Chicago Sun-Times reports Michelle Obama will make the final decision, and she is said to be favoring Columbia University in New York. The school wants to build the library on its new campus in Harlem.
http://wgntv.com/2015/02/05/report-m...rary-location/

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 6:04 PM
The City

^ Well, then, that's that...

Oh well

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 6:35 PM
you know where I'll be

^ No.

This is a case of absolute journalistic malpractice. I absolutely called it the other day when these reports we're first surfacing.

This is all based on Lynn Sweet's reporting that we all heard about a few weeks ago, with one recent source of Sneed's hinting at Mrs. Obama favoring Columbia (along with other sources of hers that did not support this).

This has resulted in the last few days of several instances of sound-bite reporting from several local media outlets that has made it seem like it's based on much more than it actually is and is almost finalized. My sense is that nothing could be further from the truth and that it is really, really amateurish journalism at work here.......

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 8:02 PM

Quaxelrod is calling the race for Chicago:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...-obama-library

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 5:44 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Op/Ed

Quote:
http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/7...library-choice

Taking parkland for Obama Library is not the only choice
Posted: 02/09/2015,

.......On Wednesday, the Chicago Park District Board will consider whether to approve the confiscation of at least 20 acres of historic Washington and Jackson Parks to support the University of Chicago’s bids to secure the Obama Presidential Library........

Have university officials shown that confiscation of parkland would prevent the displacement of South Side residents (as claimed in the document currently being circulated by their Department of Civic Engagement)? If yes, have they demonstrated that residents would be displaced if parkland confiscation was not approved?

The university has crafted the conversation to support an otherwise unprecedented request that makes the confiscation of parkland seem reasonable and even sensible. Is it really all or nothing? Imagine if Columbia University demanded 20-plus acres of Central Park for their bid? The outrage would be immense. So why are city officials so accepting of the university’s demands based on vague justifications, unsubstantiated claims, and misleading polling?.........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development