HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 7:36 PM

Austin | 311 W. 7th (Masonic Lodge) | ? Feet | ~40 Floors | Proposed

This is a 33-story peoject built over the three-story Royal Arch Masonic Lodge. So it will be at least 36-story tower: current building 3-stories + atrium 3-stories + tower 30+ stories.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=322381

The location from Streetview:

Renderings from Rhode Partners:

https://austin.towers.net/a-towers-h...masonic-lodge/

Backup files from 06/25/19 Historic Landmark Commission meeting:
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=322381
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=322384
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=322383
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=322382
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=322476

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Jun 24, 2019 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 7:54 PM

There will be two "parking lifts" to take vehicles to and from the parking levels. From one of the backup files:

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 8:35 PM

This is a really skinny building. Might give The Avenue a run for its money.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 8:53 PM

Wow, this would completely block my view from my office. Interesting location.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 9:37 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
This is a really skinny building. Might give The Avenue a run for its money.
It's a contender. Here's a quick Google Earth 3D model I did showing it. I've been working on this model for a while adding projects.

In this first view, you can see the tower, it's placement and size relative to others. You can also see The Avenue in this first image, and it's still skinnier on its east/west facade than this tower will be, but this tower is about half the length on its north/south facade. Overall, this is going to have a tiny footprint.

The height I scaled this tower at is 400 feet. I figured that was a good starting point on guessing its height.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 9:54 PM

K, this might be my new favorite development. I love me a skinny skyscraper. Also +1 for preserving that beautiful old building. We need a bunch more like this one.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 10:04 PM

This is a tower I'd expect to see in New York, not Austin. This project is about 1/9th of a block, and if we're looking at thirty-six stories of (presumably) apartments or condos we could get 400 feet. That's crazy!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 10:15 PM

Heh, so petite next to Big Blue up there.

But yeah, this is both an amazing little building and completely a sign of where things are headed. Which is to say, rents will now support smaller-than-a 1/4-block 300-footers for any use -- commercial or residential.

EDIT: Also, that's a great map, Kev -- it completely blows my mind what we're going to look like in 3 years or so.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:29 AM

Kevin, are those Google Earth models shareable by any chance?

Also, what do the different building colors represent?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:39 AM
Meh

Well, the map/model is on Google Earth. I'm not sure there's a way to share it. I am planning to do more screenshots for each project and post them into each development thread, plus a main thread that I'll add to.

As for the colors, green = complete (but Google hasn't updated imagery to show that building yet), blue = proposed, amber = site prep/demo, red = under construction. I have another group under yellow that is for vision type projects where the development is in the planning stages, but not quite a filed proposal with all the details out just yet. That type of project would be for the Statesman tract or the Brackenridge tract. I also have the model for the Domain and West Campus, so it's not just downtown. I'll do it for any project that is at least 115 feet tall.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:40 AM

Just guessing, I didn't make the map, but:

Green = Complete, but not yet 3D modeled by Google
Yellow = Site Prep
Red = Under Construction
Blue = Proposed

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:46 AM
Meh

I did one for San Antonio also, and I've already uploaded all of those and posted them in the thread below. I did these models and screenshots a month or two before Google updated their imagery for San Antonio, which now shows the Frost Tower.

Unfortunately, the polygram feature doesn't allow you to actually draw buildings to their actual shapes. I just have to follow their general shape and "envelop" the site. So, they're really just massing models to show their relative height and size.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=238189

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Well, the map/model is on Google Earth. I'm not sure there's a way to share it. I am planning to do more screenshots for each project and post them into each development thread, plus a main thread that I'll add to.

As for the colors, green = complete (but Google hasn't updated imagery to show that building yet), blue = proposed, amber = site prep/demo, red = under construction. I have another group under yellow that is for vision type projects where the development is in the planning stages, but not quite a filed proposal with all the details out just yet. That type of project would be for the Statesman tract or the Brackenridge tract. I also have the model for the Domain and West Campus, so it's not just downtown. I'll do it for any project that is at least 115 feet tall.
Nice, yeah. I'm just looking for something (a thread will do) that I can bookmark and check regularly. Staying on top of the individual building threads is proving a bit overwhelming.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
Nice, yeah. I'm just looking for something (a thread will do) that I can bookmark and check regularly. Staying on top of the individual building threads is proving a bit overwhelming.
FYI...
I added a list of the tallest projects to the sticky development & webcam thread yesterday. I've been putting out the list more or less monthly for three or four years, but I haven't been posting them too regularly on SSP. Going forward I plan to keep the one in the sticky thread updated.

EDIT: I updated the list to 2019 Rev. 6 to add this project.

Last edited by The ATX; Jun 25, 2019 at 9:20 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:48 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
This is a tower I'd expect to see in New York, not Austin. This project is about 1/9th of a block, and if we're looking at thirty-six stories of (presumably) apartments or condos we could get 400 feet. That's crazy!
Austin is in a unique situation so I'm not too suprised to see this sort of development. There's only so much space within the existing confines of DT. In order to add more development while preserving the limited historical or preservation worthy smaller buildings, developers are starting to think outside the box to use the phrase. This looks like a pretty exciting project and look forward to seeing the actual tower portion.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 6:22 PM

I like the idea of this tower, but the design is terrible. I guess the cantilever is supposed to give the historic building room to breathe, but it really just ends up overwhelming/looming over the old building. The architects should go back to the drawing board and figure out a more respectful way of integrating the new and old imo.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 6:28 PM

This is one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" projects,kind of like the super skinny hotel that never materialized over on Congress between 4th and 5th. It would probably look neat, but I can't think of any particular reason from an economic standpoint why this needs to be built.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 1:34 PM

The HLC kicked this down the road to the July meeting. They want better renderings and want to know what the height of the tower will be. They also listed several similar projects around the country and want to know how this project compares to those.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
This is one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" projects,kind of like the super skinny hotel that never materialized over on Congress between 4th and 5th. It would probably look neat, but I can't think of any particular reason from an economic standpoint why this needs to be built.
Unfortunately, I am in the same boat with ya... i won't be fooled again like 416 Congress I still cry thinking of what could've been....

I'm really curious to see the whole enchilada though. Hoping there's an interesting crown on this baby!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 12:46 AM

This one is just a fishing expedition - at this point. That's why the height and tower design are ambiguous and there is no specified use(s). One of the commissioners asked that they at least provide floor plates at the July meeting if they couldn't identify the uses. But I don't blame the developer for trying to see if this design works before putting a lot of effort/money into the project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin