HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:19 PM

Anyone know what's going up by the Travis County tax buildings on N. Lamar?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 6:04 AM

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post

Lamar Station

This is located in the same portfolio as Crestview Highline. Despite looking nearly identical to the black and white modern farmhouses that are popping up all over Crestview and Brentwood, this is actually going to be fronting Lamar Blvd at Banyon St. The boxing gym that will be displaced by Crestview Highline is slated to go here.

It's like they took one of their on-the-shelf house designs and stuck some signage on it. I'm not complaining about the look but its a really odd choice (and a lost opportunity) for that location. What I will complain about however is that when this is built, there will be two places called Lamar Station, neither of which is deserving of a name like that.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 2:53 PM

Thanks for pointing out where these'll be. Nice to see some more infill along Lamar in that area. At this point I'm waiting for it to jump the street and start rehabbing the east side of Lamar, too.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
The approved site plan for this is up:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=803186

99 units plus ground floor retail. Elevations on pgs 28-29.

10 years into the Justin Lane TOD regulating plan, only the second project to actually be mixed use as far as I can tell. The first, Midtown Commons, hardly counts because the commercial/retail part is so small scale and they're in separate buildings from the multi family. I'll grant that there is a small number of live/work units in the original Midtown Commons.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:25 PM

Just noticed this though it might be old

TRG N Lamar (5 story mixed use at Lamar and Koenig) site plan approved and released:
https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=5312636

Also of some note, the site plan for Lamar Station (1 story retail) was approved and released as well. This is only notable b/c it's from the same developer as Crestview Highline (5 story mixed use) and the boxing gym that currently occupies the Highline space is supposed to go to Lamar Station. Maybe that will determine how they time construction.
https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=888170

The other project of note on lamar is the Lamar at North Loop VMU. No idea why it's taking so long but they seem to be crawling towards eventual approval.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
TRG N Lamar (5 story mixed use at Lamar and Koenig) site plan approved and released:
https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=5312636
I drove by this weekend and noticed work seems to have begun

https://trinsicresidential.com/portfolio/aura-lamar

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 4:26 PM

This must be the Whale, yes? The one where the curve at Koenig hits Lamar, on the southeast corner?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
This must be the Whale, yes? The one where the curve at Koenig hits Lamar, on the southeast corner?
Lol yup that's the one.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 5:01 PM

Broadstone North Lamar apartments proposed for 6613 N Lamar Blvd. This is currently home to a self-storage, tire shop, crossfit gym, and print shop. They will need to work around an existing billboard.

There seems to be a continuing trend in this area toward residential-only multi-family that I find unfortunate. Not much foot traffic here, to be fair, but that should change in the near future.

Interestingly, this proposal includes 2 levels of underground parking. Does this still count as a Texas doughnut if it's not wrapped around a garage?

From the tree removal filing:
The current intent is to develop a 301-unit (30 affordable) multifamily project
with a two-story underground parking garage with 392 spaces (1.30 parking
ratio).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 5:48 PM

N. Lamar is just chock full of potential; so many lightly developed lots like these up and down the strip. If the CapMetro proposal (or anything like it) goes through Lamar will explode with stuff like this.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 9:16 PM

I hope they bury those power lines someday. And the high voltage...can those be buried too? Or at least moved elsewhere...it's such an eyesore...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 9:39 PM

Quote:
I drove by this weekend and noticed work seems to have begun

https://trinsicresidential.com/portfolio/aura-lamar
This kind of development has gotten very popular in Austin. South and North Lamar, 6th street east of I-35, the Drag, South Congress etc..My question for those in the know has Burnet Road south of 183 to 45th street been mentioned for this type of re-development?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 8:11 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Burnet has a good number of corridor VMU style development.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 3:32 PM

What about Anderson Lane?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 2:58 PM

Can anyone tell me why a landowner would decide to "plat a previously uplatted plot"?That great example of alliteration is in relation to a filing from 7401 Lamar LLC, which seems to be the owner of an old (and quite large) apartment complex on N Lamar called "The Joplin at Crestview."

I think a bunch of the units were recently renovated so I don't really expect that they would be up to anything major, but considering all the action directly across the street at the Crestview Station area it's not out of the question. It's a pretty anonymous, worn out, but affordable apartment complex.

Does this type of stuff happen as a precursor to development? Sale? Stuff happening at adjacent properties?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Can anyone tell me why a landowner would decide to "plat a previously uplatted plot"?That great example of alliteration is in relation to a filing from 7401 Lamar LLC, which seems to be the owner of an old (and quite large) apartment complex on N Lamar called "The Joplin at Crestview."

I think a bunch of the units were recently renovated so I don't really expect that they would be up to anything major, but considering all the action directly across the street at the Crestview Station area it's not out of the question. It's a pretty anonymous, worn out, but affordable apartment complex.

Does this type of stuff happen as a precursor to development? Sale? Stuff happening at adjacent properties?
It must have been originally developed when the area was outside of the City of Austin limits, so it did not require a plat. Today, anywhere in Travis County would require a plat. My guess is that the owner is subdividing the large vacant frontage for development. Even if they are not subdividing to sell off the frontage, a site plan for development would require a plat if it has not been previously platted.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 9:06 PM

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 9:18 PM

Tacky. I love it.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 12:08 AM

It’ll be the tallest and tackiest thing around for several blocks.

Hoping it’s the start of something for that stretch of Lamar. Lots of redev potential from Koenig to, say Justin Lane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin