HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:42 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I agree. I also refuse to count parking garages as floors when they are actually and technically...levels. For example, a 25 story office tower sitting on top of 10 levels of parking is not a 35 floor highrise. It is a 25 floor tower on top of 10 levels of parking. Has anyone ever seen a garage level labeled as floor 1 through...?? Plus 10 levels of parking are not the same height as 10 floors of office. So back to what jdawgboy said, would really like to see a 40 - 50 story office building that's truly 40 - 50 floors and no above ground parking levels. They'll get no love from me by combining the two to get an exaggerated floor count especially if its for bragging rights. Sorry guys, this is one of my nerdy to the bone pet peeves.
Can you walk on it? Does it go from one side of the building to the other? Does the elevator stop there? It's a floor.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Can you walk on it? Does it go from one side of the building to the other? Does the elevator stop there? It's a floor.
Technically...yes. If there was a tower with 24 "floors" of parking and one floor of office space on top, it would perhaps be called a 25 story office tower, but not by me. Its just me so just ignore my idiosyncrasies.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Technically...yes. If there was a tower with 24 "floors" of parking and one floor of office space on top, it would perhaps be called a 25 story office tower, but not by me. Its just me so just ignore my idiosyncrasies.
My idiosyncrasy would call it a 25 story Auto Warehouse with Penthouse; or 24 story Parking Garage with office space on top.

Marketing might call it 25 story tower with Luxury Penthouse Suite and generous parking for additional great income generation possibilities.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:31 PM

I didn't realize this was also the 405 Colorado thread...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 6:43 AM

I suspect Lincoln's involvement in the Block 190 project may have delayed this one. From Thursday's ABJ article about 25 upcoming downtown towers:

Quote:
Lincoln Property Co. Senior Vice President Seth Johnston declined to provide an update on the project. But, according to sources, it could be a year or two before the project begins to rise.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I suspect Lincoln's involvement in the Block 190 project may have delayed this one. From Thursday's ABJ article about 25 upcoming downtown towers:

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline
Shocker! This lot is cursed

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:50 PM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Shocker! This lot is cursed
Hah... Maybe they will add a couple hundred feet. It's such a prime location.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:54 PM

[

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 25, 2020 at 12:40 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 10:33 PM
Meh

It seems dumb to step back from this project when they've pretty much nailed down the design that we'd see if it were to start tomorrow. Waller Creek Place, though, even though it has its site plan approved, it's really unlikely we'd see it in its current form. Which is fine, because I was never a fan of the designs for Waller Creek Place. The buildings looked like something from Sim City. The Republic, though, is far and away my favorite project in the pipeline for Austin, and I would be really disappointed if it didn't happen or if there were major changes to the design. Having a project postponed is never a good sign that the design will be the same once it does move forward if it does at all.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 10:57 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

It does suck that this project is on hold, but at the same time, they are building the tallest building, the tallest built in Texas in a long time. We will eventually see something built there and maybe it will be even taller and grander than it's current proposed form.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 12:02 AM

Lincoln (as well as Kairoi and We Co.) seem to be focusing on Block 190 only, not the other three towers formerly known as Waller Park Place. Block 190 has financing from a Canadian pension fund, so it makes sense to get that project started. Although it wasn't clear in the PSP (Canadian pension fund) annual report exactly what was financed - Block 190 only? Block 190 and WPP? or if it was 100% financed.

The Block 190 office tower could also be as nice as the Republic tower and even taller and in a very prominent location.

Last edited by The ATX; Nov 23, 2019 at 7:32 AM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 4:43 PM

I agree with you, Kevin. I've been pretty vocal about this one being one of my top 3 favs in town.

I really reallllly don't wanna see this one get dulled down to some depressing blue glass 35-40 floor flat roof filler tower. Perhaps it will get a revamp that'll bring it to 1,000 ft I really want a tower that's going to stand out not only by height. Indeed & Google Sail all will do that no doubt.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 10:39 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I’m actually hoping for a redesign. They could have way better interaction with the park, and I think our skyline is getting too many designs like this one anyway. Really, this one is kind of boring.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 11:25 PM

I love the diversity here when it comes to opinions on personal tastes. I personally really like the design as is but am losing hope this is going to happen. We could use some encouraging information.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I love the diversity here when it comes to opinions on personal tastes. I personally really like the design as is but am losing hope this is going to happen. We could use some encouraging information.
As far as positive info - a permit related to erosion control/environmental was filed less than two weeks ago. Sorry, that's all I got.

There is no reason to doubt this project. The info causing the doom and gloom was only that an anonymous ABJ source indicated that the project is a year or two away from starting. Lincoln just seems to have shifted their next project focus to Block 190.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 5:19 PM
World Traveler

Any update on this one? I've been gone so long and it doesn't look like this has been discussed in a while. Is it still a possibility or is it dead?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Any update on this one? I've been gone so long and it doesn't look like this has been discussed in a while. Is it still a possibility or is it dead?
I'd also be interested to know if anyone knows anything. So far, nothing's shows up in any of the major outlets.

Someone in another thread suggested it might be on hold because it's part of Project Connect -- and possibly part of the underground tunnel and Republic Square station. I don't know if that's true, but it seems possible.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 5:25 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Office is going to be slow to come online and we've got lots of companies rumoring to be subleasing under construction buildings.

I'd say this project should be considered dormantish and of it comes together consider it a bonus

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Office is going to be slow to come online and we've got lots of companies rumoring to be subleasing under construction buildings.

I'd say this project should be considered dormantish and of it comes together consider it a bonus
Not bad, all things considered. I don't want a redesign, but I do want even more height. It's the wild fucking 2020's...let's break 1,000 ft.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 1:31 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Someone in another thread suggested it might be on hold because it's part of Project Connect -- and possibly part of the underground tunnel and Republic Square station. I don't know if that's true, but it seems possible.
Potentially. However, the land under that parking lot is private, correct? The transit authority would have to buy or lease it to use it. I'm not sure how that would work.

They could lease the land and use it for staging the construction of the tunnel. And, if that's the case, The Republic would be delayed for years. Another idea would be to co-op construction - similar to what they've done in other cities where new rail/subways are constructed underneath new towers.

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Sep 4, 2020 at 7:36 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin