HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 5:27 PM

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 5:12 PM

Congrats to the Carleton Ravens with their four-peat win of the USports men's basketball title.

The Raven women's team won too, making it the first time since 1985 that the same school won both national titles.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 1:38 PM

Not sure if this is news or not, but TSN is going to doing a CEBL game of the week starting May 24:

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-showcases-ceb...y-24-1.1932439

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 2:14 PM

I watched "The Grizzlie Truth" this week (had recorded it on the DVR from March 6).

Have to say that it was a really well-done film. The filmmaker actually tracked down former players and management for interviews and put it all together to make a really interesting film that gives good insight into the rise and fall of the Vancouver Grizzlies.

I didn't actually follow basketball back then, so it was very educational for me.

I'd definitely recommend it, if you have a chance to see it (maybe it's online?).

As a side note, I had no idea that basketball was the most popular sport in the Philippines (where the filmmaker's family is from).

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
As a side note, I had no idea that basketball was the most popular sport in the Philippines (where the filmmaker's family is from).
You definitely see it in Manitoba, there have been numerous basketball leagues that have sprouted up around the province which are largely Filipino-driven. It's a big part of Filipino culture... signing up your kids for basketball is the normal thing to do, as opposed to soccer, hockey, baseball or whatever although obviously there Filipino kids in all sports.

I assume this all has to do with The Philippines' colonial history with the USA?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I assume this all has to do with The Philippines' colonial history with the USA?
Yes, the film didn't take a deep dive into it (since it was about the Grizzlies), but the sport was brought to the Philippines by Americans.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I read a book in the 70's on the Harlem Globetrotters and their first world tour in the early 1950s (Around the World with the Harlem Globetrotters by Dave Zinkoff, 1953) and they made a big deal about it.

Apparently, while they were there they accepted an unscheduled booking from a sugar cane plantation owner who erected a stadium for 10k just for the two games the Trotters would play there. They definitely got across that Filipinos were/are crazy for basketball.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not sure if this is news or not, but TSN is going to doing a CEBL game of the week starting May 24:
I hope I will still be able to see them on CBC GEM

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 8:39 PM

Mississauga represent!

Grizzlies' Dillon Brooks fined for shoving camera person
Brooks is being fined $35,000 for the unsportsmanlike act.
Quote:
NEW YORK – Memphis Grizzlies guard-forward Dillon Brooks has been fined $35,000 for the unsportsmanlike act of shoving a camera person on the sideline after pursuing a loose ball, it was announced today by Joe Dumars, Executive Vice President, Head of Basketball Operations.

Brooks’ actions occurred with 2:40 remaining in the second quarter of the Grizzlies’ 138-119 loss to the Miami Heat on March 15 at Miami-Dade Arena.
https://www.nba.com/news/grizzlies-d...-camera-person

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 9:28 PM

Dillon Brooks is becoming a real bitch. He talks so much shit now that he's in the Association but from what I saw during his Oregon days you'd never expect that. He seemed more like a real stand up guy. I remember when he took an unnecessary shot at the end of the game against Duke and in the handshake line Coach K had words for him and Brooks was real attentive and basically saying yes sir, I apologize. Coach K in the interview after the game was asked what he said and I can't remember his answer but it turns out he lied because a mic picked up what was said. And Brooks actually didn't need to apologize because his coach actually instructed him to shoot the ball.

Coach K is seen as the super legendary and honourable father figure and mentor of college basketball. He has twice been caught lying as both times it was later revealed what he actually said was caught on mic.

And he's on the same team as Ja Morant who I hope is not turning into a real head case. It's also the team that had Zach Randolph, another nutter.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 1:31 AM

And Purdue, a team I have a few connections to, has been bounced out as a 1 seed. The second time ever. So often a highly ranked team and a team I like to see do well just keeps flopping out of the tournament. Last year as a 3 seed to the 15 seed. Even worse this year.

And they have potential POY in Zac Edey, from Toronto. Yet he only took 11 shots and hit 7 of those. This is like when Wiggins at Kansas got bounced from the 2014 tournament in round 2 as a 3 seed. He's your best player and he only took 6 shots. Only hit 1 but he was taking long range jumpers, which is not his game. Dude was parked on the perimeter for some reason and the coach needed to force him to drive inside and play his game. If not, then bench him.

Bill Self of Kansas has won two natties, including last year. He's an all time great. Matt Painter of Purdue is seen as a great coach too. But at what point does the coach take blame for star players taking such few shots or bad shots? When does a coach have to force his team to dump the ball into the best player and force the best player to be more agressive or you're sitting on the bench? This is what I don't understand. If they can't do that then surely professional coaching is bullshit and anyone can do it? At least the in-game management part?

Zac Edey is the most dominant player in the game this year. He was their best player tonight. Even if he didn't feel like shooting more, the coach has to force him to. Whether he makes the shots or not, he's bound to get fouled. He did shoot 10 FTs tonight and made 7, which is impressive for a big man. If his FG and FT percentages tonight aren't a hint that you need to force the issue as a coach then I don't know what is. I just don't understand how this doesn't click with high level coaches with decades of experience.

And if you follow college sports, you'll know that the conference your team particpates in is a big deal. Fans take pride in that. At least for teams that geographically and culturally fit (last 15 years there has been conf. realignments due to money that make no sense for some teams). The Big Ten, of which Purdue is a part of, have not won a NC since 2000. And in football, they've only won twice from 2002 onwards, both by Ohio State. This is the richest conference but they have had a pretty embarrassing record the past couple of decades.

At least in basketball they were a runner up seven times (six different teams) since they last won, which is like Canada's NHL teams in the last 28 years or whatever it is. I think six finalists?

The only thing more embarrassing is the PAC 12, which is another of the few major conferences. They haven't won since 1997 and only had two finalists since then. And zero NCs in football since they last won in 2003.

Last edited by megadude; Mar 18, 2023 at 1:46 AM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Dillon Brooks is becoming a real bitch. He talks so much shit now that he's in the Association but from what I saw during his Oregon days you'd never expect that. He seemed more like a real stand up guy. I remember when he took an unnecessary shot at the end of the game against Duke and in the handshake line Coach K had words for him and Brooks was real attentive and basically saying yes sir, I apologize. Coach K in the interview after the game was asked what he said and I can't remember his answer but it turns out he lied because a mic picked up what was said. And Brooks actually didn't need to apologize because his coach actually instructed him to shoot the ball.

Coach K is seen as the super legendary and honourable father figure and mentor of college basketball. He has twice been caught lying as both times it was later revealed what he actually said was caught on mic.

And he's on the same team as Ja Morant who I hope is not turning into a real head case. It's also the team that had Zach Randolph, another nutter.
Honestly I am not sure I ever even heard of him until recently, lol. Just another no-name guy trying to get attention for himself. It's easy for someone from Sauga to suddenly start acting tough in a league full of players from US inner cities and Eastern Europe now that they got money and a gun-wielding Ja Morant to shield them, but I bet this guy would get his ass kicked in Malton, let alone Compton.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
And Purdue, a team I have a few connections to, has been bounced out as a 1 seed. The second time ever. So often a highly ranked team and a team I like to see do well just keeps flopping out of the tournament. Last year as a 3 seed to the 15 seed. Even worse this year.

And they have potential POY in Zac Edey, from Toronto. Yet he only took 11 shots and hit 7 of those. This is like when Wiggins at Kansas got bounced from the 2014 tournament in round 2 as a 3 seed. He's your best player and he only took 6 shots. Only hit 1 but he was taking long range jumpers, which is not his game. Dude was parked on the perimeter for some reason and the coach needed to force him to drive inside and play his game. If not, then bench him.

Bill Self of Kansas has won two natties, including last year. He's an all time great. Matt Painter of Purdue is seen as a great coach too. But at what point does the coach take blame for star players taking such few shots or bad shots? When does a coach have to force his team to dump the ball into the best player and force the best player to be more agressive or you're sitting on the bench? This is what I don't understand. If they can't do that then surely professional coaching is bullshit and anyone can do it? At least the in-game management part?

Zac Edey is the most dominant player in the game this year. He was their best player tonight. Even if he didn't feel like shooting more, the coach has to force him to. Whether he makes the shots or not, he's bound to get fouled. He did shoot 10 FTs tonight and made 7, which is impressive for a big man. If his FG and FT percentages tonight aren't a hint that you need to force the issue as a coach then I don't know what is. I just don't understand how this doesn't click with high level coaches with decades of experience.

And if you follow college sports, you'll know that the conference your team particpates in is a big deal. Fans take pride in that. At least for teams that geographically and culturally fit (last 15 years there has been conf. realignments due to money that make no sense for some teams). The Big Ten, of which Purdue is a part of, have not won a NC since 2000. And in football, they've only won twice from 2002 onwards, both by Ohio State. This is the richest conference but they have had a pretty embarrassing record the past couple of decades.

At least in basketball they were a runner up seven times (six different teams) since they last won, which is like Canada's NHL teams in the last 28 years or whatever it is. I think six finalists?

The only thing more embarrassing is the PAC 12, which is another of the few major conferences. They haven't won since 1997 and only had two finalists since then. And zero NCs in football since they last won in 2003.
I looked up Zac Edey a few weeks ago given all the attention he has been receiving and for some reason draft prognosticators are saying he won't be anymore than a second round pick in the NBA draft if that. I'm not sure why that is given his dominance in NCAA. Game won't translate well to the pros?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I looked up Zac Edey a few weeks ago given all the attention he has been receiving and for some reason draft prognosticators are saying he won't be anymore than a second round pick in the NBA draft if that. I'm not sure why that is given his dominance in NCAA. Game won't translate well to the pros?
Yeah there's lots of guys like that and Heisman winners in football too that don't even end up getting drafted in the multitude of rounds in the NFL.

Lots of analysts saying he'll be playing overseas. But, he's just gotta keep his head up and remember guys like Fred Van Vleet who never got drafted and now has a ring and a four year $85m contract. And there are plenty guards like FVV. But not many 7'4 guys who are the college POY. I haven't watch too much of Edey. Maybe he can't shoot from distance like so many big men do now, but it's something that can be worked on. And maybe there's a team that doesn't need that.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 4:24 PM

Definitely looking for attention. He got it with this outfit, but probably did the opposite of trying to look tough. He ain't Stone Cold Steve Austin.

https://flipboard.com/topic/portland...portskeeda.com

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/s...n-fit/3104805/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Honestly I am not sure I ever even heard of him until recently, lol. Just another no-name guy trying to get attention for himself. It's easy for someone from Sauga to suddenly start acting tough in a league full of players from US inner cities and Eastern Europe now that they got money and a gun-wielding Ja Morant to shield them, but I bet this guy would get his ass kicked in Malton, let alone Compton.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 7:09 PM

Canadian big man Zach Edey named AP men's college basketball player of the year
Toronto native led Purdue to 1st outright Big Ten title since 2017
John Marshall The Associated Press March 31, 2023

Would be something to see him in the NT lineup get subbed off for Olivier Rioux if Rioux can get that far.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 3:31 AM

Glad to see Denver win their first title and happy to see back to back years of a prominent Canadian player getting a ring.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 4:12 AM

SGA going to be the next Canadian player on that list with the Thunder.

I’m just surprised there hasn’t been a mention of his 31 ppg season. The highest by a Canadian in NBA history.

Not to take away from Murray tho I’m just so glad we have so much high end talent as a country now. With how much talent Montreal is producing these days they are imo overdue for an NBA team.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 3:37 AM
GQMF

First year and having all the attendance records. Most likely a new record this upcoming sold out saturday game and for sure a new record when they play their first playoff game in august. Strong bball community in the city.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 1:16 PM

Impressive. Winnipeg seems to punch above its weight when it comes to sports attendance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada