HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Waller Center Tower B in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
And that awesome video is already outdated. We had a 54-story tower (62 East) announced for that area two weeks ago.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 4:51 PM

In case no one has pointed this out before, CTBUH shows that 2 of the 8 tallest US buildings under construction now are in Austin, with the other 6 in NYC. In a way, Austin has supplanted Chicago:

1 JPMorgan Chase World Headquarters New York City (US)
423 m

2 The Brooklyn Tower New York City (US)
324.9 m

3 The Spiral New York City (US)
314.2 m

4 98 Red River Austin (US)
311.2 m

5 262 Fifth Avenue New York City (US)
304.7 m

6 50 Hudson Yards New York City (US)
299 m

7 Two Manhattan West New York City (US)
285 m

8 Sixth & Guadalupe Austin (US)
266.7 m

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 9:51 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Edit.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
In case no one has pointed this out before, CTBUH shows that 2 of the 8 tallest US buildings under construction now are in Austin, with the other 6 in NYC. In a way, Austin has supplanted Chicago:

423 m

324.9 m

314.2 m

311.2 m

304.7 m

299 m

285 m

266.7 m
Thanks for posting that. It is somewhat amazing that Austin with a Metro population not yet 2.5 million can rank so high on any list like that.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Thanks for posting that. It is somewhat amazing that Austin with a Metro population not yet 2.5 million can rank so high on any list like that.
Ig. Austin is punching above its weight, especially compared to other large Texas cities. Seriously what is going on Houston and Dallas (not really though, I know it's cause they're designed terribly, like most newer western cities)
Though this list will be outdated in the coming years. NYC will take all top ten spots (unless Austin, Philly, LA, or Chicago put up a 1,200 fter) Austin will probably be in the top 20 though by then lots of LA projects will be going through, SF is about to get another supertall approved, Philly might put something up, Chicago has a shot with the one central project but they can't seem to get anything off the proposal stage.
Oh and there's Miami who's getting some tall ones.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post

423 m

324.9 m

314.2 m

311.2 m

304.7 m

299 m

285 m

266.7 m
"In a way" is doing a ton of heavy lifting here. Saying Austin has supplanted Chicago in any way is getting carried away. Love what we're seeing in Austin though.

For perspective - Chicago has buildings under construction at 259 m (Salesforce) and 253 m (1000M) and recently completed 363 m (St. Regis), 296 m (One Chicago), and 273 m (NEMA). Feel free to go at other cities though.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 3:50 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
Ig. Austin is punching above its weight, especially compared to other large Texas cities. Seriously what is going on Houston and Dallas (not really though, I know it's cause they're designed terribly, like most newer western cities)
Though this list will be outdated in the coming years. NYC will take all top ten spots (unless Austin, Philly, LA, or Chicago put up a 1,200 fter) Austin will probably be in the top 20 though by then lots of LA projects will be going through, SF is about to get another supertall approved, Philly might put something up, Chicago has a shot with the one central project but they can't seem to get anything off the proposal stage.
Oh and there's Miami who's getting some tall ones.
Keep in mind that Austin may not be done with supertalls yet. There is at least one possible candidate in the works behind the scenes, and a second location that has an old post office has for years been speculated that something big may pop up there. Supertall big?... We will be patiently waiting for development news for that site.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 6:55 PM

I'm pretty sure pianowizard was only referring to the moment in time that CTBUH listed those 8 projects as the tallest U/C and nothing else.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 7:24 PM

I just ran the CTBUH tallest U/C building search again. And other cities including Chicago made the top 8. But the top 4 are Austin & NYC.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 7:41 PM

Edit.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 10:15 PM

Last edited by Urbannizer; Jul 30, 2022 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure pianowizard was only referring to the moment in time that CTBUH listed those 8 projects as the tallest U/C and nothing else.
Yep, I was talking about such a narrowly defined "way", nothing more. BTW I do understand that we generally avoid comparing cities on this forum, but since Austin has just joined the Supertall Club, I think a little bit of comparison helps showcase how far this not-so-big city has come. Never did I intend to diss Chicago.

Quote:
I just ran the CTBUH tallest U/C building search again. And other cities including Chicago made the top 8. But the top 4 are Austin & NYC.
I should have explained that in my CTBUH search, I had specified not just "Under Construction" in the Status box, but also "Architecturally Topped Out" and "Structurally Topped Out". This was to conform to this Supertall Construction forum, which includes all three categories. Either way, Austin has made astounding strides recently.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 3:28 AM
Meh

I doubt anyone is seriously suggesting Austin is threatening to take away Chicago's skyscraper notoriety. Just that it's a unique spectacle to be watching Austin join the ranks of New York and Chicago when it comes to actually building a supertall and an 800 footer. I've been posting here for 20+ years now and it's an incredible realization that I never thought would happen. For me, it's not about competition or bragging rights at all, just an attempt to grasp the gravity of the situation and make it "real" for us.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 1:19 PM

Quote:

I stated months ago that once One Chicago is complete, 6 x Guad would be the tallest U/C outside NYC. That didn’t last long. In that time span 98 Red River started Construction and now yet another Austin building is the tallest U/C outside NYC. Pretty mind boggling.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 4:48 PM

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 4:07 PM

KPF features this on their website now under both current & supertall projects. They refer to the project as Waller Creek as well 98 Red River.

https://www.kpf.com/project/waller-creek

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 3:00 PM

It's still a little weird to me that Austin is getting a Supertall that's taller than Dallas and Houston. I am not even sure Dallas has one and Houston has that weird ass tower out in the middle of nowhere. Williams Tower or something.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
It's still a little weird to me that Austin is getting a Supertall that's taller than Dallas and Houston. I am not even sure Dallas has one and Houston has that weird ass tower out in the middle of nowhere. Williams Tower or something.
Houston has 2 supertalls. 600 Travis Street and Wells Fargo Plaza. Williams Tower is the third tallest.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 3:47 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
Um Williams Tower isn’t in the middle of nowhere. It anchors the Uptown Houston business district, 4 miles west of Downtown Houston. Your comment is utterly ridiculous.

Last edited by N90; Aug 4, 2022 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
Um Williams Tower isn’t in the middle of nowhere. It anchors the Uptown Houston business district, 4 miles west of Downtown Houston. Your comment is utterly ridiculous.

Hmm that's real interesting. Maybe the person who made that comment would be interested as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction