HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Waller Center Tower B in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRC View Post
Time to move this thread to |Supertall Construction|
and Change Diagram/Database Status to U/C
Caisson installation is the criterion used on this forum. It's happening really soon!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 11:56 AM

This was also posted in the Austin subforum thread for this project. Despite not having an official groundbreaking yet, the CEO of Kairoi said this week that this is officially U/C.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Jun 25, 2022 at 12:12 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 4:49 PM

^On this forum I keep hearing that developers don't care about supertall status. This one is an obvious exception.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
^On this forum I keep hearing that developers don't care about supertall status. This one is an obvious exception.
Well they certainly care about it being the first. Regardless of what people on these forums think, supertall has become an important distinction in terms of skyscrapers.

The Brooklyn Tower was heavily pushed as Brooklyn's first supertall.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 3:46 AM
Meh

In a place like New York, a supertall just blends in now. I don't think there's any other city where that's even true, not even Chicago, yet. Obviously, they still pierce the sky there the way the majority of their buildlings don't, but as they have a ton of them already and more on the way, people just don't notice them in the way they would in other cities. So, in New York, developers and architects won't make a big statement about them being a supertall since it's been done so many times already now. There it's more about amentities now and location than the prestige of having the tallest.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
This may briefly hold the title as the tallest building u/c outside of NYC and Chicago.
I believe 6xGuadalupe at 875’ (also in Austin) holds this title right now.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 4:50 PM

^Some would argue that One Chicago (971 ft) is still under construction. The folks at CTBUH call it completed, but they tend to jump the gun.

Also, don't forget that Waldorf Astoria Hotel & Residences Miami (1,041 ft) may start construction not long after 98 Red River, so the latter may indeed only "briefly hold the title as the tallest building u/c outside of NYC and Chicago".

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 5:01 PM

Even the sidewalks at One Chicago are complete.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 5:17 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
^Some would argue that One Chicago (971 ft) is still under construction. The folks at CTBUH call it completed, but they tend to jump the gun.

Also, don't forget that Waldorf Astoria Hotel & Residences Miami (1,041 ft) may start construction not long after 98 Red River, so the latter may indeed only "briefly hold the title as the tallest building u/c outside of NYC and Chicago".
Really outside of NYC since Chicago's closest thing to being a potential supertall is Parcel I and who knows when that will break ground or if it will wind up taller (which it was rumored to).

I think Philly's potential supertalls are too far in the future and Seattle and SF only around 1,000 feet.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Really outside of NYC
Wow, I just reread my previous post and realized it did not make much sense (I wrote it in a hurry as I was about to head out to run some errands). I meant to say essentially what you just said: whether one has to specify "and Chicago" depends on whether we consider One Chicago (971 ft) to be still under construction. If it's considered finished, then 6 X Guadalupe (876 ft) is the tallest being built outside NYC, since Salesforce Tower Chicago is only 850 ft. When construction begins for 98 Red River (1,022 ft), then it will be the tallest outside NYC, but probably only briefly because Waldorf Astoria Hotel & Residences Miami (1,041 ft) should be happening pretty soon.

These are exciting times!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Wow, I just reread my previous post and realized it did not make much sense (I wrote it in a hurry as I was about to head out to run some errands). I meant to say essentially what you just said: whether one has to specify "and Chicago" depends on whether we consider One Chicago (971 ft) to be still under construction. If it's considered finished, then 6 X Guadalupe (876 ft) is the tallest being built outside NYC, since Salesforce Tower Chicago is only 850 ft. When construction begins for 98 Red River (1,022 ft), then it will be the tallest outside NYC, but probably only briefly because Waldorf Astoria Hotel & Residences Miami (1,041 ft) should be happening pretty soon.

These are exciting times!
Comcast 2 in Philly is 1,121' tall so even if both of these get built they won't be the tallest outside of NYC and Chicago.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 1:31 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
Comcast 2 in Philly is 1,121' tall so even if both of these get built they won't be the tallest outside of NYC and Chicago.
We were referring to buildings currently U/C, Comcast 2 was completed years ago.

But as for who tops Philly for the nations tallest outside NY or Chi is also fun to speculate. I vote maybe Austin or Philly (again). Maybe LA if we're lucky.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 3:52 PM

The rebar for the first caisson is at the edge of the site.

Caisson pipes are arriving too.

Last edited by The ATX; Jun 27, 2022 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 1:55 PM

Congrats to Austin on your first Supertall! Between Austin and soon Miami 2022 may be the year of the oddly shaped Supertalls under construction.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 4:07 PM

Concrete is arriving on site while rebar continues to be formed into caissons.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 4:37 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wow, crazy to think that not even Dallas has a supertall and Austin is getting one. This is also slightly taller than the tallest in Houston. Crazy.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Wow, crazy to think that not even Dallas has a supertall and Austin is getting one. This is also slightly taller than the tallest in Houston. Crazy.
And there's another taller project that could be around 90-stories and 1,250' in the works.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 6:46 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
And there's another taller project that could be around 90-stories and 1,250' in the works.
Insanity. I was just back in Austin a few weeks ago and it’s changed so insanely much. I grew up in Texas and nearly all of my family now lives the Austin/San Antonio metro region. I remember visiting my mammaw in Spicewood (wherein she still lives and was raised in and my moms side of the family has owned since the 1880s ((used to be 6000 acres, now it’s around 600)) and I’ll hopefully inherit some of it unless my parents decide to sell it and it turns into generic schlock suburbia that the whole hill country around Austin and San Antonio is turning into unfortunately) and going to downtown Austin in the 90s and it was just a couple of basically mid rise skyscrapers and the Capitol building and vacant lots. Basically my experience of Austin was how the “Slackers” movie portrays Austin; great film by the way. I was glad to see on my last visit in June that 6th street is still basically the same. Rainey Street is just nuts. I remember riding my bike down Rainey St about 12 years ago and there was not much there, just a lot of dilapidated 1920s houses. Was glad to see that the remaining bungalows have been rehabbed. I just hope that the remaining historic houses aren’t demoed. What a cool street that will be with a super tall right down the block and then 1910s and 20s houses surrounded by skyscrapers. I hope the remaining Rainey Street houses will be preserved. I know they aren’t Austin landmarks and therefor not protected. They are in a national register of historic places district but the national register of historic places does little to nothing when it comes to protecting historic buildings from demolition.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 8:13 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
We did read 90 stories but I think the 1,250' part was speculation.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was still the tallest though, even another ~1,000 foot building in Austin would be insane.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 12:12 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Insanity. I was just back in Austin a few weeks ago and it’s changed so insanely much. I grew up in Texas and nearly all of my family now lives the Austin/San Antonio metro region. I remember visiting my mammaw in Spicewood (wherein she still lives and was raised in and my moms side of the family has owned since the 1880s ((used to be 6000 acres, now it’s around 600)) and I’ll hopefully inherit some of it unless my parents decide to sell it and it turns into generic schlock suburbia that the whole hill country around Austin and San Antonio is turning into unfortunately) and going to downtown Austin in the 90s and it was just a couple of basically mid rise skyscrapers and the Capitol building and vacant lots. Basically my experience of Austin was how the “Slackers” movie portrays Austin; great film by the way. I was glad to see on my last visit in June that 6th street is still basically the same. Rainey Street is just nuts. I remember riding my bike down Rainey St about 12 years ago and there was not much there, just a lot of dilapidated 1920s houses. Was glad to see that the remaining bungalows have been rehabbed. I just hope that the remaining historic houses aren’t demoed. What a cool street that will be with a super tall right down the block and then 1910s and 20s houses surrounded by skyscrapers. I hope the remaining Rainey Street houses will be preserved. I know they aren’t Austin landmarks and therefor not protected. They are in a national register of historic places district but the national register of historic places does little to nothing when it comes to protecting historic buildings from demolition.
Please don't publicly complain about the hardship of possibly inheriting 600 acres plus huge assets instead of 6,000 acres. I mean... really.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction