HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
hard when ur only other company that could handle the workload it is already blacklisted
I just looked at the city web page (https://legacy.winnipeg.ca/matmgt/Te...iles/debar.pdf) that shows companies that are not allow to bid on city tenders and there are NO towing companies on that list.

The contract for towing of city owned fleet vehicles that closed on Mar 3/23 was open to anybody who had the resources to meet the tender specs.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 1:59 PM

The city should get whatever it can.

The RCMP should be going after the company for fraud. That isn't the city's responsibility. It's a criminal offence.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 2:22 PM

It's this whole thing again with civil vs criminal. Phil Sheegl and Slimey Sam vs the City. Same shit. They're crooks but will never be charged for it. White collar crimes.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 5:41 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's this whole thing again with civil vs criminal. Phil Sheegl and Slimey Sam vs the City. Same shit. They're crooks but will never be charged for it. White collar crimes.
Comes down to what the Crown is willing to prosecute. If they don't think they can prove the case or if there isn't enough interest, people won't get charged, simple as that. Police can investigate till they're blue in the face and have overwhelming evidence, but it makes no difference unless prosecutions wants it.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 6:19 PM

I know. That's the point my non legal brain doesn't get. You are guilty in civil court, but not criminal. You did it, but not really.

If they settle out of court, then is what it is I guess.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 6:54 PM

Most Agreements between 2 or more entities usually have a clause stating, "in no event shall the parties, be liable to the other party or any third party for lost profits or any indirect, incidental or punitive damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with this Agreement."

In this particular case it sounds like Tartan was not the offending party. The third party contractors appear to have been committing fraud which Tartan likely cannot be held liable for. The monies returned to the city was likely the proportion that Tartan kept as the dispatcher. Any other liability likely vests with the third party in which the city has no contract and no civil case to uphold or proof to their claim. Unless Tartan provided their information of fraud to authorities and make a claim of fraud, then there is little legal recourse the city can take.

I am not a lawyer however, just a contracts guy.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 7:13 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I know. That's the point my non legal brain doesn't get. You are guilty in civil court, but not criminal. You did it, but not really.

If they settle out of court, then is what it is I guess.
Different standard of proof. Civil burden of proof is 'balance of probabilities' (say 50% plus 0.1% more likely than not that the person is liable).

Criminal burden of proof is 'beyond a reasonable doubt' --> more like >98% likely that the person did it. Not only that, but you have to prove each element of the crime to that standard (actus reus and mens rea, and sometimes even other elements must be present). Convictions are hard without rock-solid evidence.

So you can see how OJ was successfully sued. It's basically a degree of certainty analysis. I understand the difficulty in wrapping your mind around it. In the OJ case, the court could not get to the degree of certainty required to convict him of a crime, but because the burden of proof is so much lower in the civil sense, he was successfully sued.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 7:27 PM

OJ case is classic. We can not prove you murdered these people. But will make you pay for it anyways.

So Tartan weren't the ones actually doing the scam? Regardless of whomever is scamming, they are committing a crime. So If it wasn't Tartan being charged, it should be there sub. Someone did the scam.

I can not see there being a contract out there that says "If someone scams us, we can not do anything to you"

I'm not the only person on this side here, am I? Like people scammed the City and everybody is like "meh they're paying some of it back"??

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 4:53 PM

So the City has pulled back on their agreement with Tartan and/or their sub.
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/we-need-...ment-1.6311714

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 6:55 PM

i blasted my City councillor across the social media platforms and personal email, never got a response from him. i'm sure many others too

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 3:18 PM

This may be considered "sacrilege" by some people at a development forum, but here's some praise for some non-development that left the city with a beautiful green space. No political or social overtones intended, just some interesting information:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...tory-1.6778373

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
This may be considered "sacrilege" by some people at a development forum, but here's some praise for some non-development that left the city with a beautiful green space. No political or social overtones intended, just some interesting information:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...tory-1.6778373
I don't think this would be seen as sacrilege here! At the time, this would have been an area that was all forest and farmland outside or at the edge of the city.

I think there are a lot of people on here who don't celebrate all the exurban development in the RMs. This would have been the equivalent of the time.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 3:34 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

ture tresure thats apart of the transcanada trail

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 5:25 PM

That was a very interesting article. I'm not surprised that the initial plans for the area fell through during the Great Depression, but it's interesting that it was never developed during the postwar years of the 60s and 70s when suburban housing was booming.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:28 PM

Another project to help deal with homelessness announced by the MMF:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ject-1.6783798

It came within days of this announcement:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...lage-1.6783575

Recently it was announced the McLaren Hotel was going to be repurposed as a "housing first" supportive complex, and apparently some kind of supportive housing might be part of the PP proposal.

Personally I'm a huge supporter of the "housing first" model, something that, as far as I know, hasn't been attempted in any large scale in Winnipeg.

I think that as long as the supports are maintained, these complexes will help a lot of people off the streets, which can only help the perception of downtown. Of course it won't "end homelessness", but it's a start, and I hope the momentum continues.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the last thing we need to do is start sucking up more land for parking because people like driving tanks.

we didn't have old people in the 90's?...every single one of my friends drives a pick up truck...99% of the time it is to drive their kid's to hockey or to go to the grocery store.
You're preaching to the converted, I drive a sedan. When I take my kids to the rink I'm usually one of the only parents not in a SUV/van/pickup. My son's spring hockey program last year was comical, the arena parking lot looked like a Ram dealership every time.

But as silly as that is, it makes life easier for everyone if parking lots reflect actual vehicle sizes instead of what they were in 1978.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 3:01 PM
the first stamp is free

The mini van is still the king combination of size/utility/economy.

Sedans are great and all, but at the expense of about an extra ~ 1L/100 km in fuel economy, a mini van wins all day everyday in terms of family use (we have a VW Passat and Chrysler minivan as our winter driving fleet).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 12:52 PM

Not Winnipeg, but Niverville is getting a "mini" film studio. below CBC summarizes it but FreePress aricle says 1st stage will be a temporary (4+ years) structure ready by Fall

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...dios-1.6788690

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 4:46 PM

Some optimism about a downtown turnaround:

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/it-was-p...town-1.6326402

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Some optimism about a downtown turnaround:

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/it-was-p...town-1.6326402
I work downtown, not sure I share all the optimism, but good that they thinking it is. I have noticed more people in the food places of Wpg Square over lunch time. But I've also noticed an increased in undesirable folks in the walkways and on streets while waiting for bus.

"so far this year, six new businesses have opened in downtown Winnipeg", I wish they listed them as I'm not aware of them at top of my head.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan