HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 7:38 PM

SAN FRANCISCO | 200 Mission Campus (incl 50 Main and 77 Beale) | 992 FT | 89 FL

Quote:
50 Main Street To Become Second Tallest Tower In San Francisco
BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON DECEMBER 15, 2021

Hines has announced that 50 Main Street will rise 1,066 feet tall, potentially becoming the second tallest structure in San Francisco. If built as proposed, the residential tower will be just four feet shorter than the Salesforce Tower. 50 Main Street, to be designed by Foster + Partners, is part of the 200 Mission Street campus, formerly the SoMa headquarters for PG&E.

Hines is proposing to redevelop the historic PG&E campus set in downtown San Francisco with offices, the multi-family tower with affordable housing, retail, and a porous ground-floor network of public open space and 1.25 acres for public parks. The newly designed block will reinvigorate an area in the city’s heart, immediately next to the Embarcadero BART Station. The project will be split between four components, including 50 Main Street, the reskinning of 77 Beale Street, refurbishing the historic office building along Market Street, and creating the ground-level network of parks and pathways.

50 Main Street will rise 85 floors to create nearly one million square feet, approximately 800 new rental apartments, of which a fifth will be offered as affordable housing. Initial plans show that parking will be included for 380 vehicles. Unit sizes will range from studios to two bedrooms. Amenities will be included on the top two floors, with retail at the base. Residents will be given excellent access to open-air with natural light between the shared amenities and access to the base level parks.

With an overall height of 1,066 feet tall, 50 Main Street could become San Francisco’s second supertall skyscraper . . . .

Foster + Partners, founded by Norman Foster, is the project architect in charge of design. While information about the aesthetic is limited, one can glean some information from the following comment on 50 Main Street by Norman Foster himself:

50 Main is part of the reimagining of an entire city block, providing a hub of community within the East Cut district’s ongoing transformation into a welcoming, vibrant mixed-use neighborhood in the heart of San Francisco. A beacon of sustainable design with a redwood forest at its base, the residential tower seeks to blend with the undulating skyline of the city, while offering a unique vision that is expressive of its time, complementary to its historic context, and looks firmly toward the future” . . . .

While 50 Main Street will be the crown jewel of Hines’ development, the offices will span even more space. Between two components, Hines will add 1.6 million square feet of modernized office space to the region’s market between two components.

The first of the two office projects will be the restoration and renovation of the 600,000 square foot office building at 215-245 Market Street. The Pacific Gas and Electric Company General Office Building and Annex were built between 1923 and 1925 in a Beaux-Arts style by the architects Bakewell & Brown. The historic facade and lobby will be retained, while the rest of the structure’s internal systems and technologies will be updated with state-of-the-art functionality and sustainability.

The second office project is 77 Beale Street. Pickard Chilton will be responsible for reskinning the historic office building, designed by the 1960s by Hertzka and Knowles. The new design will bulge out from the original envelop with curtain-wall glass, adding nearly 25,000 square feet of new office space. The 34-story building will include over a million square feet of office space and is to be renamed 200 Mission Street.

Hines will also be seeking LEED Platinum certification. 200 Mission will include new MEP systems, modern glass technology, and facade-integrated solar panels, all to reduce energy consumption and increase natural light for office workers.

The following is a caption from the press release:

Led by Pickard Chilton, the future-facing design will feature a glistening crystalline skin that will be an iconic moment in the city’s skyline and a welcoming beacon within the heart of the city. At the top of the tower, tenants will be able to enjoy a ‘Sky Garden’ with mature trees and open green space. The ‘Sky Garden’ will provide a space for tenants to work, gather and reflect.

The final character for the 200 Mission Street Campus is the open space, inviting the public in, establishing a new environment for the urban fabric. Across the whole 3.5-acre property, 1.25 acres will become publicly accessible green space. With PWP Landscape Architecture responsible for this area, the firm is tasked to design a place where nature and urban life coexist.

The public parks will include the Grove, or the Sequoia Court, in the inner court of 245 Market Street. ‘The Amphitheater’ will be a terraced performance and gathering space next to 50 Main Street, while The overlook will be an elevated public space with connected retail around 200 Mission. Facing Beale Street, the existing entryway to 77 Beale will become ‘The Commons’, with a water feature and public recreation area covered with trees. Lastly, the ground lobby of 200 Mission will create the Winter Garden, a public space enhanced with greenery.

The Principal of PWP, Peter Walker, commented on the project, sharing that “the Sequoia Court will provide a unique kind of space for San Francisco. Not quite a park or square—it will be a court of activities at street level, planted in redwoods, surrounded by urban social activities, 24/7. A soft, quiet beautiful place providing sophisticated public services with special amenities and lighting to the offices and residences.”

Construction is expected to begin by 2023, with the final price tag not yet revealed. That said, it’s safe to assume 200 Mission Street will cost billions. Hines is currently involved with interested parties engaging with the entitlement process. Once complete, Hines believes the project will “reimagine and breathe new life into an irreplaceable, transit-oriented location that spans an entire city block.”

(50 Main St. site)

(Campus with 3 primary buildings)

(Reskinned 77 Beale St)
https://sfyimby.com/2021/12/50-main-...francisco.html

Last edited by Urbannizer; Feb 24, 2022 at 4:03 AM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Nice! But why 4 feet shy of the current tallest?
As you can see, the block encompassing this project is in a 400 ft height zone:

https://sfplanning.org/resource/zoni...bulk-districts

They probably are having to use state and city density bonuses to get it to 1000 ft and there's a good chance it may not survive at that height through the planning process. I can't see much chance it could go higher.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 8:00 PM

A near-twin for S.F.’s Salesforce Tower? That’s what one developer wants to build 3 blocks away:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...r-16702552.php

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 8:25 PM
A Man In Dandism

Hopefully this gets built to its newly proposed height. Didn't think SF would be getting another supertall this soon (or ever).

And while it's easy to get excited about the new height, I do also want to point out that the project seems to include a good amount of open public use spaces, creating an inviting environment for pedestrians to wander in and enjoy. Top notch street level interaction.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 9:48 PM

Yes, this is quite a major change. I was satisfied with the original 800 ft proposal but this is a game changer. I don’t want to rehash , but another 35 ft or so, and they will be taller than that “pencil stick” building in LA.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 10:36 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskysthelimit View Post
but another 35 ft or so, and they will be taller than that “pencil stick” building in LA.
yeah, just 35 more measly feet to claim the "tallest west of chicago" title.

and they could even do it honestly, with actual roof height

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 9:37 PM
A Man In Dandism

No designs are out yet, but here are some artistic renderings to give an idea of the height and massing.

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article...t-16708382.php

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 9:56 PM

^^I'll never understand why they don't put other proposals in these renderings to give a truer understanding of what to expect. In this case, Oceanwide Center, which I'm pretty sure will eventually be finished, and 750 Howard (Parcel F) should be in the rendering also. Actually, I think both of those have a better chance of being built as proposed than this project does.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 12:55 AM

All of you are so right. Another measly 35+ feet with either a crown or spire would totally be awesome. Yeah 800 ft was acceptable...but come on, to be that close to having the tallest west of Chicago? Why the hell not! Hope Hines and Foster+Partners give us that 1,101 ft tower. Just hope it doesn't get shortened from the proposed 1066 ft.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
No designs are out yet, but here are some artistic renderings to give an idea of the height and massing.

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article...t-16708382.php

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 5:24 PM

OMG ! mt climber13 great find! Yes ! 50 Main St rendering looks like the Peerless Building from The Towering Inferno ! i knew i had seen somewhere before! Thank you!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 9:39 AM

The Towering Inferno!! Compare the special effects then and if they made a movie similar to it today.... or wait a minute.... I think they have!? Regarding this new proposal, I hope it get's built.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 4:04 PM
A Man In Dandism

First official renderings have been released. This will also be known at Atlas Block.

Quote:
Hines Expects San Francisco Supertall At 50 Main Street To Open By 2027
BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON DECEMBER 21, 2021

High-quality renderings and planning documents have now been released for the 200 Mission Street campus project, immediately after Hines announced the groundbreaking news that 50 Main Street would reach 1,066 feet tall. While the renderings provide greater insight into the architectural design of 50 Main Street supertall by Foster + Partners, the new documents have revealed foundation details and the estimated timeline for construction.

Documents also show the project has another name besides 200 Mission Street Campus: Atlas Block.

Assuming the permitting process is smooth, construction is expected with the 1970s-era tower at 77 Beale Street, now named 200 Mission Street, in the first quarter of 2023. The reskinning and redevelopment of the interiors will complete by the final quarter of 2026. In the second quarter of 2023, crews are expected to begin with the historic rehabilitation of 215-245 Market Street and finish in the third quarter of 2026.

However, anticipation is most highly focused on the first quarter of 2024, when crews will officially start work on 50 Main Street, the 85-story residential supertall. In the same quarter, crews will begin working on the inner-block privately owned public open space, i.e., POPOS. The public open space will be the first to open on the Campus in mid-2026, and 50 Main Street will be the last component to open, with an estimated completion date in the first quarter of 2027.

The foundation of 50 Main Street is sure to be a primary focus for residents of San Francisco. With the ongoing engineering project below the Millennium Tower to correct the leaning high-rise, many are anxious about the prospect of a new skyscraper, no less the second tallest skyscraper in the city. Although the unique conditions that might have led to the leaning at Millennium Tower are not present for 50 Main Street, documents provide several key assurances.

Foundation work is expected to last for most of 2024. According to the construction documents, a drill rig will be utilized for the deep foundation work, with the structural excavation of thirty concrete caissons, each eight feet wide and 350 feet deep. With bedrock on average 300 feet below sea level in San Francisco, this will ensure the thirty massive caissons will reach bedrock. For comparison, the much larger Salesforce Tower included 42 piles reaching bedrock.

With new renderings, the design for 50 Main Street and 200 Mission Street have been illuminated in greater detail.

The proposed design for 50 Main Street is by Foster + Partners, a UK-founded architecture firm known for its innovative designs and pivotal role in developing highly complex curtain-wall technology. The tower is to rise 85 stories to achieve a rooftop height of 1,066 feet tall, making it the second tallest building in San Francisco, four feet shy of the Salesforce Tower.

Foster + Partners founder, Norman Foster, shared with the public that “50 Main is part of the reimagining of an entire city block, providing a hub of community within the East Cut district’s ongoing transformation into a welcoming, vibrant mixed-use neighborhood in the heart of San Francisco.“ Foster went on to express that, as “a beacon of sustainable design with a redwood forest at its base, the residential tower seeks to blend with the undulating skyline of the city, while offering a unique vision that is expressive of its time, complementary to its historic context, and looks firmly toward the future.”

The renderings indeed show the tower infuses natural timber hues with floor-to-ceiling glass, implying that the building will feature mass timber in the facade. However, construction documents state the structure will be made of steel.

For 200 Mission Street, Pickard Chilton will be responsible for reskinning the 1960s-era office building designed by Hertzka and Knowles. The new design will bulge out from the original envelop with curtain-wall glass, adding nearly 25,000 square feet of new office space. The tower is to be capped with the ‘Sky Garden,’ with mature trees and open green space.
https://sfyimby.com/2021/12/hines-ex...n-by-2027.html

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 6:47 PM

Hmm, great to see some ambitious development though i'm not sure I'm sold on the looks yet. I have a feeling this will face a lot of similar criticism to 423 Park Ave in NY.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 6:52 PM

Terrible design. Nice box lol

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 7:01 PM
A Man In Dandism

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the design myself. Seems like they went with something safe and boring. A lot of the older skyscrapers in SF are already quite boxy and in recent years we've moved away from that thankfully, so I'm not sure why they went back to this design. It's not particularly iconic or even interesting. It already looks dated.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 7:41 PM

this early looks reminds me of one of Foster's lower key residential designs in Chelsea

https://www.fosterandpartners.com/pr...treet/#gallery

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 8:43 PM

One of my all-time favorite architects designing a supertall in my home town, and I really really hope it gets sent back in disgust. They can do way better. I...I think I need to sit down...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 11:52 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall/awkward View Post
One of my all-time favorite architects designing a supertall in my home town, and I really really hope it gets sent back in disgust. They can do way better. I...I think I need to sit down...
Agreed. Foster can do better. Send it back, and try again.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 2:20 AM

Agreed. Please don't look like that, at that height. This is in great need of a makeover, something like what happened for the final designs for the Lumina and Infinity Towers. This tower should look more like it was (will be) built in 2027 rather than 1997. At (maybe) 1066 feet tall, this needs to look much more iconic period! Hopefully these are just preliminary place holder designs, and the architect, client and the City are waiting for initial public reaction. The height is okay. It could even be taller. Just make it look better!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals